Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Estate for 6-7k

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2004, 03:07 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Me and the girlfriend are going down to one car. We have a couple of dogs so need a hatchback or an estate. We have 6-7k to spend. I want something that will be comfortable as a motorway cruiser first off, economical, cheap to run, won't loose too much money, and big enough to accomodate a 6ft 3 bloke in comfort. Sportiness would be nice but isnt the most important factor.

I have narrowed this down to a 1.8T sport Passat Estate. They seem to have all the toys, return mid 30's, cheapish to run and insure, good motorway cruisers and reasonably quick/handle well.

You seem to be able to get a 98/99 with 50-60k on the clock for this sort of money. They seem to be a cracking bargain to me.

What do you guys think to these and what else would you suggest?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 05 January 2004, 03:14 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
They are a pretty good if boring car. I had a few as company vehicles, the 1.8T was one of the best.
I preferred the sport spec to the SE. Not the best to drive, in fact pretty numb steering and wooden brakes and not very nimble either. But not a bad motorway cruiser although all the cars I had seemed to tramline quite badly. Nice and comfy though and I liked the gamma sound system and purple dials.
Don't expect a sports car and you'll be well happy. Have you also thought about an A4, they don't seem to cost much more and drive better IMHO.
Old 05 January 2004, 03:22 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

I had thought about the A4 but on autotrader they seem to be 2 or 3 k more expensive for the same year/spec car as the Passat. I also liked the idea of the Passat as it is bigger than the A4 isnt it?

Cheers for the reply though.
Old 05 January 2004, 03:27 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Passat estate seemed to have more room than the A4 Avant to me. Although I believe they are essentially the same car. You do have to pay a bit more for an Audi but that really isn't all that much for the extra quality and hopefully better resale value. The Audi I had was better built than the passats too.

All in all I liked both of them but as I said be aware the Passat is a slow witted car.