Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Has anybody swapped their STI for a Nissan 350Z??

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2003, 12:14 AM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am considering swapping my MY99 STI Type-R for Nissan 350Z. Has anybody gone down this route??? Can you give me the pros and cons of this idea???
As its a euro spec car I presume that it uses normal unleaded fuel, yeay or neay?
One thing that worries me is the weight, at 1.5 tonne it is a good 250kg heavier than my Type-R. Does it drive or feel overly heavy at all?
I know that it will be a backwards step regarding performance, but I am 30 now so I'm not overly fussed about that.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers,

Craig
Old 28 December 2003, 11:55 AM
Bas
Scooby Regular

Craig

Not quite the same as you but I went from a MY98 Terzo to a 350Z. Doesn't feel quite as quick as my UK Scoob did, but I'm still running the Zed in so I'll reserve full judgement until I can use more than 4k rpm. As you say though it will be a downward step in performance from your STI.

It is heavy but that's compensated by having 276bhp and a massively flexible powerplant. Any gear, any speed, just plant your foot and it'll go

As you'd expect being RWD, it takes much more concentration to drive quickly than a Scoob, especially in the wet...thank god for traction control (you can switch it off BTW )

Best thing I can say about it is that it feels special every time I drive it with a great sound from the 3.5l V6 And I know of several owners who have compared their Zeds favourably with their previous Porsches and TVRs

And to top it all off it looks absolutely stunning

Bas
Old 28 December 2003, 12:16 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Bas,

Thanks very much for the reply. I think they look stunning and I'm not to fussed about the drop in performance. I'm pretty sure I'll get one. The interior looks great as well!!!

Cheers,

Craig.
Old 28 December 2003, 12:25 PM
Bas
Scooby Regular

Craig

Have a look here for plenty more info

Bas
Old 28 December 2003, 01:18 PM
gizmo71
Scooby Regular

I'm about to chop in an STi 6 for a 350Z, due at the end of January. No test drive yet but I'm expecting it to feel slower but be faster once rolling, and hopefully a lot more relaxing to drive at moderate speeds.
Old 28 December 2003, 01:41 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys fellas,

The general concensus of opinion on the net is that the 350Z will be quicker than a scooby "once rolling". Why is that? Is it because of the cc's of the bigger engine? I thought the extra weight of the zed would hinder rolling acceleration!!!

Craig.
Old 28 December 2003, 07:42 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

bttt.
Old 28 December 2003, 09:57 PM
Phil M
Scooby Regular

Hard to say. you often use the faster when rolling comment with heavier cars with more power, a great example of this is (and i aint starting a debate) the M3 340brake and say STI8 PPP 300brake the sti is lighter so launches quicker but once rolling weight isn't as important so the M3 would be faster due to its extra power.

But comparing the 350z to the type r scoobys is interestin coz they both have similar power, the power delivery will be smoother wiv the 350z coz not turbocharged and no kick from turbos will make it not feel as fast but the engine will have greater flexability. say at 2000 revs it will putt to limiter nicely, at the end of the day still a fast car and has meant to have nice chassis and best of all rwd,

buy one sure u wont regret it
Old 28 December 2003, 10:00 PM
Phil M
Scooby Regular

sorry about the grammar above, its ****.
Old 29 December 2003, 01:25 AM
day tripper
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

To swap an sti 6 for a 350z is unthinkable!
Old 29 December 2003, 12:48 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

WOW!!

I have just got back from my local Nissan dealership and had a look around a black 350Z with GT pack. It is a stunning car. The guy even started it up in the showroom for me. I reckon I'll get one soon. There is virtually no negative feedback on the car. When Jezza Clarkson reviewed it for Top Gear he had the inferior US version that hadn't been Euroised for our market.

WOW!!

Craig.
Old 29 December 2003, 03:51 PM
Ballistic
Scooby Regular

Hi Craig

Like you I'm thinking of swapping my current drive (not a Scoobie) for a 350Z, got my second/longer test-drive on Wednesday.
I didn't realise the car that JC slated so badly was a US spec. one, that explains everything.
Have you checked out 350zuk.com (everything you ever wanted to know about a Z is on this site including a great forum, lots of pics, and some cool wav files of aftermarket exhausts)
Old 29 December 2003, 06:09 PM
Bas
Scooby Regular

Craig

A sensible voice at last

Clarkson is in a minority of one when it comes to his views on the Zed...just a shame that Joe Public seems to take his word as gospel

Bas
Old 29 December 2003, 07:06 PM
ChrisB

Which is maybe not a bad thing
Old 29 December 2003, 07:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swap it for a 300ZX, according to Top Gear, quicker than the 350 and with added Knight Rider appeal.
Old 29 December 2003, 09:06 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Cheers fellas,

Balistic,
What did you think of the test drive you went out on? I have yet to drive one. To be honest, I am that taken with the 350Z, that I would probably have one without a test drive. I love the things that make it stand out, fly-by-wire throttle, carbon-fibre drive shaft, instument clocks that move!!!!!
The interior is fantastic. My only niggle is the cars weight (1500kg)as I tend to go for light nimble cars, hence the Type-R, but I am prepared to sacrifice the drop in performance for a very classy car. I think its going to have to be a Kuro Black one with the GT pack!!!

Cheers,

Craig.

Old 29 December 2003, 10:20 PM
Ballistic
Scooby Regular

Craig

My initial impressions after a brief drive were;
engine very responsive and pulls well from low revs, power very linear through the rev range and gears well spaced in 6spd box.
Corners well, hardly any body roll, very accurate/responsive steering.
Good brakes.
Very nice inside, feels quite special for a £24k car.
Very comfortable driving position, seats you sit low in instead of on.
Dissapointed with the engine/exhaust note (hence my interest in alternative exhaust systems if I get one)
Rides well.
Quite alot of transmission/road noise.
Nice gearshift action.

I'll let you know more after my longer second test-drive on Wednesday.
Pictures I've seen of the car with the Nismo bodykit IMO make it look quite stunning and more agressive, really finishes it off.
Old 29 December 2003, 11:04 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

I wonder how much more the Gt version weighs with leccy seats, sub etc?
Old 30 December 2003, 10:57 AM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Ballastic,

That sounds like a glowing review. I can live with a dissapointing exhaust note if everything else is good. I would love to hear more about your next test drive, so please keep me posted. Cheers.

Workshy_fopp,

According to the Nissan spec, the 350Z weighs 1525/1534kg (kerb min/max) without the GT pack, and 1545/1547kg with the GT pack.

Craig.
Old 30 December 2003, 01:41 PM
Bas
Scooby Regular

I have to say that I don't agree with Ballistic's comments on the exhaust note. Personally I think it's particularly impressive. Has a nice growl at low revs which gets progressively harder edged as the revs rise

Bas
Old 30 December 2003, 05:19 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Bas

I would have to disagree with you, but then Ive owned an R32 and M3 which show how poor the system on our Nissan is. Unlike the other two cars, I dont drop a cog just to listen to the note. It might be better if there was less road noise to kill the nice sound !

Jonathan
Old 31 December 2003, 12:00 AM
Bas
Scooby Regular

Jonathan

You and Ballistic seen to be in a minority there, mate. Most owners love the sound, even the ones coming from more exotic machinery. Agree though that the road noise doesn't help.

Bas
Old 31 December 2003, 11:07 AM
MALCOLMM8
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

If you want to see a stuning one?

Take a look at fast car mag this month. It's only a small pic but it is one of the best looking ones ive seen.
Old 31 December 2003, 11:03 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Ballistic,

When your New Years Eve hangover has worn off, can you let me know how you got on with your extended test drive of the Zed.

Cheers,

Craig.
Old 01 January 2004, 12:39 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Nismo body kit

Old 02 January 2004, 06:06 PM
Ballistic
Scooby Regular

Craigfin

My second extended test-drive just really confirmed what I learnt from the first one, although this time the exhaust note was more evident. Very nice/exciting/comfortable car to drive over a longer distance, and very flexible on the motorway.
I'm more interested in buying a none GT car with standard alloys but been quoted delivery near end of this year!
Tried the RX8 today and more impressed than I thought I would be. Car is a proper 4 seater and has a larger boot. Around town engine more flexible than I expected but put your foot down at 70mph on motorway in 6th and not alot happens, you have to rev it to make it fly. All seemed a bit clinical, doesn't have the characrer of the Z
There are still Z's physically available straight away, saw one today at a local dealer, pre-registered GT pack + Ray's for £28995 (bit of a premium over list)

BTW that blue Nismo Z looks well tasty
Old 02 January 2004, 10:01 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Ballistic,

Availability must be a local thing. I went into the Plymouth Nissan dealer today to see about availability. He seems to think that they are freely available in all colours and spec, he even told me about a guy who ordered his last week and will get his Zed this month!!!!
He also told me about a guy who traded in his nearly new Porsche for a Zed, the dealer had to give him money back. Apparently this guy has owned all sorts of sports cars but reckons that the Zed is the best he has ever driven.

Cheers for the review,

Craig.
Old 02 January 2004, 10:07 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Dont think you will find lots around. I ordered mine just before Christmas and looked on the system to see what was free. You could count them on one hand. The cars at dealerships are cancelled orders. It wont be long before they dry up. But if people try hard enough delivery in March/April should be achievable for a GT pack equiped car.

Jonathan
Old 02 January 2004, 10:10 PM
CodeKey@Lisan
Scooby Regular

This may sound a little daft but ever since I got Gran Turismo 4 "Prologue" this Christmas on my Playstation2 I've been obsessed with the "Nismo" version of the 350Z! Its silver with black wheels filling the arches and just sounds incredible!

Wonder if its possible to get one brought over!

"Designed as the ultimate showcase of what a Nismo-equipped Nissan can do, this heavily modified 350Z is more than just fancy wheels and a body kit. Its 3.5-liter V6 was upgraded with new camshafts, a cold-air intake, headers and a stainless steel cat-back exhaust that adds up to a healthy 320 horsepower. The stock six-speed transmission was enhanced with a single-disc clutch, a lightweight flywheel and a Nismo shift **** for a more precise feel through the gears. Additional hardware upgrades include an adjustable limited-slip differential, high-performance brake pads and a steering fluid cooler. For enhanced looks, there's a full body kit with front and rear spoilers, light alloy 18-inch wheels and official Nismo graphics."

[Edited by CodeKey@Lisan - 1/2/2004 10:12:05 PM]
Old 02 January 2004, 10:30 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Jonathan,

I totally agree with you. I was very surprised when the guy at my local dealer told me they were available when I enquired about a Kuro black with GT pack. The Plymouth dealer has one GT equipped Blade in stock, the Nissan dealer in my home town of Stoke-On-Trent 250 miles away, has two in stock, a GT equipped black one and a Blade, also with GT pack. None of these three Zeds are sold or even have names put down on them.
I need to wait for a nice scoobynetter to buy my Type-R, which is up for sale in For Sale section.

Cheers,

Craig.

Quick Reply: Has anybody swapped their STI for a Nissan 350Z??