Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mercedes Benz S500

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2003, 10:48 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Anyone driven one of these? No comparisons with a Scoob please I know its a very different car. Wondering if the car handles at all or is it like driving a bus( not that I 've ever driven a bus!) Is it quite nippy or does it feel very sluggish.
ps I mean the current shape.

Cheers, Deep.
Old 05 December 2003, 11:28 AM
Chicken Man
Scooby Regular

No offence at all to you mate,

**** edited to remove racial stereotyping****

Have I missed anyone?

Like I said, nothing personal/racist/sexist/ageist/skin quality-ist /etc meant by this post, just an observation!

Cheers,
BMW owner!

[Edited by Josh L - 12/5/2003 1:29:15 PM]
Old 05 December 2003, 12:00 PM
Wild Mark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just curious Chicken Man but do you ever post a positive response? this is the second post I have read today and in both you seem to just take the **** out of peoples names or slag their grammar - Is that spelt correctly?

The guy is asking a simple question. I was always taught that if you have nothing positive to say – shut up!

Mark
Old 05 December 2003, 12:10 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
There have been quite a few BMW and Merc enquiries on this board over the last few years.

Maybe you want to look through them and see how many have come from blacks and Indians. Let us know the answer, we're riveted. You could even post a picture of you stuffing your face with humble pie (troll flavour) afterwards.

Old 05 December 2003, 01:10 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Question

Not quite sure how to take your comment Chickenman. People often start comments with 'd'ont mean offence mate' and then say something offensive. I must say though I'm not really offended, if you've observed that Indians tend to like Mercedes then who am I to say your observations are'nt true(from your perspective). I'm just a little suprised you have nothing better to do.
Anyway, can anyone actually answer my question?
ps I've owned 4 Scoobs, 2 Peugeots( GTis of course!), 2 BMWs and an Astra. Not quite sure how you'd pidgeon hole that lot.
Old 05 December 2003, 01:32 PM
mkyboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My old mans is quite good!

Fast for a 2 ton car and turns in a bit like a 3 series BMW.
Old 05 December 2003, 03:31 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

If Indians do prefer Mercs, good on them, they must be doing OK to be able to afford them.

To answer your Q deep, I would imagine they would be quite nippy, and, from what I have read, they have good body control.
If you are considering a 'S', my choice (and most motoring hacks, not to mention sales figures) would be the S320CDi, quick and economical.

Oh, and they do look the business with BIIIG AMG alloys.
Old 05 December 2003, 03:40 PM
DavidChief
Scooby Regular

A mate at work has an S500. Quick in a straight line and quite grippy around the corners. Less of a bus than you'd expect, but you've gotta remember this is a big, big car, and it's never going to get remotely close to an Impreza in dynamics.

Not a drivers car, but very comfortable and fast.
Old 05 December 2003, 07:11 PM
wrxsmo
Scooby Regular

They are a nice drive but as it's been said they're a big car. I'd rather be the passenger than the driver (altho the S55's are great fun). The suspension can be adjusted whilst driving for a stiffer more sorty ride & then back again to armchair mode.

They're getting a bit long in the tooth now & arent the most reliable car in the world for the money but if you got the doe & need a car that is that big then you could do worse.

Try & make sure it has command as thats a nice feature (which btw will fit in the double din of a scoob !)

[Edited by wrxsmo - 12/5/2003 7:16:30 PM]
Old 05 December 2003, 09:10 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Certain sections of society buy certain types of cars, fact, its not racist unless thats how you want it to be read. I like to think that different cultures have different values and they express these values in many ways, their purchases just being one way.

Look at the average Scoob driver, there does seem to be a theme there !

Old 05 December 2003, 10:49 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I like mercs and bwm and I'm milk white..

presumptions (above) are for the weak..

the S500 does handle remarkably well - you just need to set it up before going into the corners and don't expect to be able to adjust mid-corner.. it's ace on the typical british duals and motorways.. even my CLK430 (V8) could out-grunt impreza's between 90-150MPH
Old 05 December 2003, 11:49 PM
kinky
Scooby Regular

Ask over on the MB Club site - http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/
Old 06 December 2003, 07:31 AM
ADL-ATR
Scooby Regular

You don't buy a S500 to drive, you buy a S500 to be driven about in.
Old 06 December 2003, 03:48 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'd get a CL500 instead, if I was just driving it myself. Nicer shape, but less space inside.
Both have all the toys though; double glazing, elec door closing etc....Really nice cars
Sorry I can't be of any use....
Old 08 December 2003, 02:37 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the input guys. Do they all have this adjustable suspension or just the S55 AMG?
Agree that the CL looks much better.
Whenever I see these cars on the road the drivers look so relaxed and chilled it makes me want one!
Old 08 December 2003, 07:23 PM
Mmmmm
Scooby Regular

I've test driven a few and owned a 99 S430 on 16 inch wheels and now have an S55 kompressor 18 inch (wheel and tyres do make a difference to handling steering feel and ride).

The S430 had adjudstable dampers for the airsuspension and you could change the ride hieght as well. Great engine and gear box really smooth to red line and linear power right through the rev range, 25 mpg at 85 mph. Unbeliveably comfy, really quiet. The 500 is a bit quicker, 15 secs to 100mph. The steering was a little light but fairly accurate and the cars do grip quite well before understeer sets in (which is worse on the 16 inch wheels which had 60 section tyres), the adjustable dampers do reduce the roll on hard cornering but here is still a noticable amount if going hard. You can cover the ground surprisingly quickly in these cars and thier is a real sense of occasion to driving them.

However some of the 500s and 430s had the ABC active body control package fitted as an option, this stops the car from rolling by pumping air to the suspension struts at the outside of the corner and transforms passenger comfort even when being silly whilst cornering, also makes it a bit easier to oversteer .

The AMG cars have a slightly stiffer set up and the AMG ABC system
is amazing, virtually no roll on the corners, tons of grip, the steering has a more weight and better feel, the ride isn't quite as good as the standard car, but not far off.

If I was buying "older" I would try and get a 500L with the 17 inch or 18 inch wheels with the ABC package for the best handling, steering weight, ride combo or one of the 367bhp original s55s.

I drove a Brabus diesel Merc on huge wheels either the 19 inch wheels or might even have been 20's and it badly affect the ride (very fast for a diesel though, but very expensive)
Old 02 February 2013, 01:27 PM
johnn03
Scooby Newbie

Yes i agree with you.Mercedes is good car.Mercedes Benz is the most loved car of all ages. The luxury and technology used in these cars set the standards for sophistication.it covers several domains in India, which included local production of Mercedes-Benz cars, importing Mercedes cars, commercial vehicle operations, global sourcing of auto components, research and development of automotive technology. Furthermore, Mercedes is also involved in many social oriented programs across many parts of India. Some of them includes, Biofuel from Jatropha, road safety projects undertaking for children, automotive education, etc. To conclude, “Nobody can deny the fact that Mercedes is a great car to buy and drive on the roads."
----------------------
2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS
Old 02 February 2013, 03:03 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose that in the 10 years since this thread started, the Indian climate hasn't rusted your Merc yet?
Old 08 February 2013, 06:57 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Lol, 10 years?

Anyway, very good point. Im on the second bout of rust with mine. Thats rust appearing again on panels that have already been replaced on a 6 year old car!

Im not sure not sure whether its the cheap South African parts or the cost cutting steel preparation process that is the biggest problem for Mercedes but either way a great car? Afraid not. I was even told by a technician that there are models where they have designed the shocks to fail after 5 years, which I find appalling.

Mercedes appear to be living off their name and the fantastic designs they come up with but I couldnt hand on heart recommend one unless it was new and you intended to sell it as soon as the 3 years warranty was up. I bought a new Mercedes a few years ago and it was fantastic but in the 3 year it felt very loose, so sold it sharpish.

Im not sure if the S class is a different kettle of fish, I have a feeling that actually built that model properly but please dont take my word for it. Do some thorough research first.