Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2003, 01:02 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

mynickers,

I was just teasing mate Plus owning a Teg I'm a little biased

BTW good to see only the Golf Mk1/2 making your list - the later Golfs were glorified shopping trollies

Cheers,

tiggers.

[Edited by tiggers - 12/2/2003 1:03:24 AM]
Old 12 February 2003, 05:51 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

£21995 on the website though

http://futurautos.co.uk/car_information.asp?car_id=15

[Edited by mynickers - 12/2/2003 5:52:33 PM]
Old 12 February 2003, 06:58 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

is it used because them alloys dont look standard ?

edited to say, just read the link and it has over 300bhp as standard so its a JDM motor.

[Edited by chrisp - 12/2/2003 7:00:34 PM]
Old 29 November 2003, 06:48 PM
Mega
Scooby Regular

Hi Gang
Lifted this from "CAR"

" Limited slip diffs are brilliant for stopping an inside wheel spinning power away on a dry road, but in the wet our Focus RS simply ploughs its own very inear furrow towards the outside of any corner. And metal gearnob and feble heating, the bloody thing is simply freezing on cold mornings."

Bad understeer in the wet?
Cheers
Mega
Old 29 November 2003, 08:22 PM
mikelmr
Scooby Regular

FWD + 220hp ... and they are suprised when it understeers in the wet
Old 29 November 2003, 08:24 PM
DjacK-uk
Scooby Regular

U got some sort of sick perversion with the focus rs?

Get a life lad.

Cheers.

Dj.

Old 29 November 2003, 08:49 PM
dazc2
Scooby Regular

Who cares?

Go have a ****!
Old 29 November 2003, 09:03 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Anyone read this months Evo?

Focus RS8 project? Rear-wheel drive & 5.l V8 420bhp

Was gonna start a new thread on it later..

Shame they didn't do the RS in four wheel drive like the Golf R32. Both wicked cars, but I would go for the golf!
Old 29 November 2003, 09:07 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

You are a sad little man Mega
Old 29 November 2003, 09:07 PM
Mega
Scooby Regular

The new Focus will have a 4-wheel drive 300 BHP version. I think Ford are talking about 2005 for the Cossy. There will be a 230 BHP RS version before that, vasty better that the present one, i am told.

I wonder if the Evo or Scooby understeer as much in the wet?
Cheers
Mega
Old 29 November 2003, 11:08 PM
jonmorris
Scooby Regular

Yes the gearstick gets very cold in the winter (and likewise, red hot in the hot sun) but you could always replace it if it's such a problem! Sheesh!

The heater is fine.. put it on max heat and you'll be sweating in 10-15 minutes. On a very cold morning most cars will be near freezing, but that's what garages were built for!

As for handling in the wet (serious rain like we had last week), then yes I'm sure it could prove a handful.. just as it would for any car, although 4WD would probably be the better bet. Still only a moron will go racing in the sorts of bad weather that would make the FRS dangerous, rather than simply requiring a bit more care.

[Edited by jonmorris - 11/29/2003 11:17:21 PM]
Old 29 November 2003, 11:16 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Not all front wheel drive 200bhp cars get understeer, the Teg Type R DC2 and even DC5, are suppose to be very hard to get to understeer (i'd probably manage it ha ha) and the DC2 especially is suppose to be greatly adjustable and able to get controlable lift oversteer. I have loads of MPEGS one of a DC2 being followed around a honda test track by an NSX Type R in a the wet, with heavy rain, and the NSX obviously is getting pretty tail happy and aquaplaining alot, struggling to keep up with the teg (well not struggling that much).

As always depends on the driver, most blokes that are into cars think they're amazing, we all are right? And we're great in bed lol, I think I am pretty fair natural driver considering the very little driving experience I have (however, I am the first to put my hand up, and admit I am inexperienced). Sure Evo/Scoobs can understeer, so can super cars, and F1 cars!

I like the RS, and heard from Edcase on here, who has a friend with one, that it's awesome on the track / smooth roads - still rather have a R32 or an STI though . The AWD RS I am sure will be a winner, and goes without saying the Cossy will rock!

Nickers

PS I never take motoring hacks word as gospil or too seriously all the time, some of them are clueless wonders, and who knows maybe that day he'd had a squable with his girlfriend and was in a stroppy mood or had a hang over, so felt like getting the **** about the fact that the gear *** was too cold, and he was seeing double so got the apex all wrong and got the car understeering and prefered to blame the tools - purlease. And also these guys drive soooooo many cars, they get so **** about it, the likes of which you or I would never give a monkies. I'd be embarassed to report that I didn't like a fine handling car cause 'da gear stick was too cold for my little handsies', tell him to ask his mum to put his mittens on one of those strings through his coat arms, so he doesn't loose them - problem solved.

[Edited by mynickers - 11/29/2003 11:21:33 PM]

[Edited by mynickers - 11/30/2003 12:30:12 AM]
Old 30 November 2003, 09:54 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Scooby's can and do understeer heavily in the wet, although a quick lift (only a bit, not completely off the gas) and reapplication of the throttle will bring the tail round nicely.
Old 30 November 2003, 03:21 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

also winding off away from the apex, I hear can get the traction back and then push back into the apex again. I only know this theoretically mind
Old 30 November 2003, 03:39 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Scooby's can and do understeer heavily in the wet, although a quick lift (only a bit, not completely off the gas) and reapplication of the throttle will bring the tail round nicely.
Lift too much in a scooby and instant HSM.
Old 30 November 2003, 03:40 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but my way's more fun
Old 01 December 2003, 01:14 PM
The Gimp
Scooby Newbie

"feble heating" - thats almost as accurate as it is spelt !

The heating in RS is really good, I should know as I drive one to work in the Aberdeen area, and I dont have a garage. It doesnt take long for the car to become really toasty inside.

During the 3 miles I drive to work, I have to turn the heating down so I dont start sweating.

Sure, the gear stick is damn cold to the touch, but its only a minor complaint that can be easily rectified.
Old 01 December 2003, 01:40 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Even in the scoob this morning doing 40, massive puddle car pulls to the left, heart rate goes up, both hands now on wheel car OK.......

Same in all cars in torrential rain, take it easy....
Old 01 December 2003, 01:50 PM
Boss Hogg
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Funnily I drove a Focus RS on Sat evening, in the middle of a massive downpour - it was fine - no massive difference to the dry handling IMHO, and heaps better than my MY02 (which understeers eveywhere)

They are very good cars tho - all the knockers need to drive one before they make their comments (based on test driving one from their armchairs I guess).
Old 01 December 2003, 02:33 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Sure, the gear stick is damn cold to the touch, but its only a minor complaint that can be easily rectified.
Yep wear gloves!
Old 01 December 2003, 03:00 PM
bobfrog1
Scooby Regular

Everyone, please donate to the OCD foundation who help people like Mega every day
Old 01 December 2003, 03:47 PM
TEXAS PETE
Scooby Regular

I haven’t read the whole post but I was just about to post this…Bad understeer in the wet? http://www.forddesktops.com/desktop.asp?file=focusrs/Ford_Focus_Wrecked.jpg
Old 01 December 2003, 04:52 PM
Mega
Scooby Regular

Thanks T/Pete
Yes..Well......Looks like the chap driving either discovered the nasty snatsy Torque steer that can snap the steering one way...than the other.........or just pain understeer.

Unlucky!
Cheers
Mega
Old 01 December 2003, 05:07 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Not all front wheel drive 200bhp cars get understeer, the Teg Type R DC2 and even DC5, are suppose to be very hard to get to understeer (i'd probably manage it ha ha) and the DC2 especially is suppose to be greatly adjustable and able to get controlable lift oversteer.
Yeah, but the Teg is a special car, not a glorified shopping trolley with a few horsepower

tiggers.
Old 01 December 2003, 05:34 PM
Boss Hogg
Scooby Regular

"nasty snatsy Torque steer that can snap the steering one way...than the other"

Mega - have you driven the RS -this is a load of *****. You feel a slight squirm as the diff kicks in, but that's not torque steer and it's not harsh, even in the wet. And the RS understeers a lot less than my Impreza
Old 01 December 2003, 06:39 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Well bugger all torque and LSD helps with the Integra

Worse car I have driven for understeer was a Astra Coupe 2.2, what an awfull car...

Old 01 December 2003, 06:45 PM
jonmorris
Scooby Regular

I'm 95% certain the car in the photo never even got driven on the road.. It was written off after a pretty serious accident on the transporter lorry (along with some other cars). I've attached the photo below.

You'll notice that despite the fact it looks like it rolled, things like the aerial, lights and other bits are undamaged - as well as little damage on the sides.

There is one car that DID lose it on a bend though and is now undergoing some rather expensive repairs.. It was (according to the owner) doing 80+ on a bend that was on the brow of a hill!! The road concerned would be potentially dodgy in any car - one bit of diesel on the road or something and the car is gone.

Traction is surprising even in the wet but you would be mad to try and find the limit unless you can afford £6k of repairs!.

From the FocusRS Owners club;

"Let's not forget that ice is already upon some of us and snow is around the corner inevitably! In the dry, the car's roadholding is predictable and exhilarating; in less than ideal conditions, I say BEWARE - it will bite. Ignore the warning if you think that you can drive like The Stig and can afford to lose your no claims bonus; on the other hand, like me, leave the spirited driving for the Summer."

I think that advice is worth taking whatever car you drive.

[Edited by jonmorris - 12/1/2003 7:48:13 PM]
Old 01 December 2003, 08:05 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but the Teg is a special car, not a glorified shopping trolley with a few horsepower
Agreed, but some glorified shopping trollies are good, golf GTI mk1/mk2-16v, 205GTI/206GTI/306GTI, CTR/ATR, Cooper S/works, SaxoVTS, Williams Clio/172/Cup, Seat Ibiza Cupra T, I could go on, but I am starting to bore myself, so I will save you the pain Oh and I nearly forgot the Focus RS he he he..

All cars have problems, R&D is about making compromises based on costs, so there will always be things you can moan about, everyone I know that's actually driven one, has loved the RS - I'd have one!

But anyway regardless of whether you like it or not Ford are laughing, cause they sold half of them before they were even released, my local dealer never actually got on in the showroom, they were all pre-ordered, and he can't get any more..
Old 01 December 2003, 09:29 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

one at a dealers near me

http://www.kingford.co.uk/search_res...php?car_id=231
Old 02 December 2003, 01:24 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

chrisp: Oh, oh, tell Mega, he'll be down there in a flash with his cheque book tee hee! For that money though, you might as well get a scoob right?

tiggers: I know you were mate, I just have too much time on my hands at the moment, so I come in here and gas about cars at every oportunity!

Check out this lovely WRX STi Version 8 for £21995

Quick Reply: Focus RS in a Downpour!