Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

VW Corrado Info... Please

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2003, 05:09 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, looking to find out facts and figures for the 2.9 VR6 and the VR6 Storm if anyone has some decent links for me then that would be great!!

Is there a good Corrado Owners Club Forum/Website that I can check out??

Thanks in advance...

Cheers,
Grant
Old 28 November 2003, 05:14 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

http://corrado.atx-hosting.co.uk/
Old 28 November 2003, 05:31 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Yahoo groups have one.

I used to have a late VR6 (specced up like a storm).

VR6 and Storm are the same car but the storm has extra cosmetic and interior bits.

2.9 - 190bhp, 181lbt torque
0-60 is six and a half secs
30-70 is 5.7
145/150 top speed.

What do you need to know??

[Edited by Dracoro - 11/28/2003 5:32:37 PM]
Old 28 November 2003, 06:14 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that link... Its got a good few interesting wee bits to it!!

Well I was looking for performance, economy and owners/previous owners reports on general driving, reliability and running costs to a Corrado VR6.

I need a new car soon, and have always loved the shape and was just wondering what they are like to live with on a day to day basis??

I am under the impression that they are pretty bulletproof engines, and that the bodywork is usually rot-free and its the interior which is the place where age really shows??

I am coming from a S2 RS Turbo which has been ALOT of hassle reliability wise and which ever car I buy next MUST be reliable as a day-to-day car!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 28 November 2003, 09:13 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

No problems
Old 29 November 2003, 01:21 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I got about 30mpg on normal driving.

Interiors wear well, especially leather ones. Check the trip computer, it should work properly. If not then it might have been messed around with (i.e. clocked!)

Parts aren't too bad. Most bits are cheap apart from the specific Corrado bits. i.e. body panels etc. Lot's of the underneath/under bonnet type stuff are used through the VW range so aren't too bad.

Had mine two years. Had radiator replaced (stone hit it and caused leak) for £300 (covered under 3rd party warranty). Replacement ignition switch and that's about it apart from consumables (tyres/pads etc.)

Servicing normally cost me about £200/£300.

All in all, fantastic all round car. Fast, great handling, comfy, eats up long motorway journeys and great fun on the B roads, reasonably practical (rear seats split 60/40 and hatch opening means you can get plenty of stuff in).

I only sold it as I wanted RWD. For me, if it was RWD, it would've been the perfect car and I'd've kept it for life.1
Old 29 November 2003, 06:53 PM
Mega
Scooby Regular

The Very last car I drove flat out for any lenght of time. I was working "REpo" for Wagon finace and it was the last car i recoverd before leaving. There were a few other high water marks:-

BMW M3 LHD EVO (1980's version, before they went six pot)
Porsche 944 Turbo (The best car i ever drove!)

The VW was up there with them, have fun........i did!
Cheers
Mega
Old 29 November 2003, 09:01 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

I have this little monkey in mind too, all I would say, was that for several years the Cv6 was the most stolen car, ultimate trophy for tea leafs, plus it's a very capabable coupe, and thus this is reflected in the insurance bill, check out some quotes if I was you, I quoted less for a classic WRX scoob than a CV6! Shame lovely car, always quoted as a future classic even just the other day on TG.
Old 29 November 2003, 11:46 PM
Nev
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Wonderful cars...they do have their own little niggles though - mainly electrical based, sunroof, spoiler etc. Engines can suffer from wear fairly early as well also. Seems that VR6's split themselved into two camps oil consumption wise - those that hardly touch it and those that drink a fair amount. Mine is one of the latter, although within tolerances. Obviously a question worth asking when buying. Mine has passed its emissions test with flying colours so can't be too much of a problem.

Tread VERY CAREFULLY mileage wise - apparently very easy to clock or disconnect speedo - just keep your eyes open.

To be honest, if you find a good one you will never look back - go into it a bit too quickly and you might get stung.

I've had mine a year now and still think it is fantastic - call me a bit sad but I feel immensely proud driving it!! Not many about and destined for cult status!

Cheers,

Nedv

Edited to add - give Stealth Racing in Coventry a call - they know everyting there is to know about the VR6 engine.

[Edited by Nev - 11/29/2003 11:48:31 PM]
Old 29 November 2003, 11:51 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Yeah I was very attracted to the as well nev, it was all the things you've mentioned that put me off, not many around, and hard to find a good one. That and high costs of insurance.

Also standard security is rubbish, but given the high insurnace premiums I would suspect most have pretty good aftermarket systems. Try and make sure it has good alarm, imoboliser etc!
Old 29 November 2003, 11:57 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

They are shockingly expensive for what they are though still, hold their value well.

Loads on autotrader that are high milage though, seems 100/120k is the norm fo rthese babies now
Old 30 November 2003, 12:05 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

This is the trouble when all the hacks start saying it's going to be a classic - thanks chaps, that means everyone ones gonna start looking for one, and everyone that own's one is gonna stick on a few grand to the asking price.

That's like telling people where the next up and coming area of a city is that has cheap housing prices, the minute they publish it, the prices go up the next week! Kind of defeats the point.

Pug 306 GTI-6 is a very good allarounder, not quite as rapid but certinly not slow, and fantastic chassis/handling, still looks pretty stylish yet understated, and modern considering the age. Build quality not going to be as good as a CV6, however, like someone has already mentioned minefeild of possibly clocked and ragged excamples, over priced and high to insure. You should be able to avoid the build quality issues by getting one with much lower mileage, they're very cheap, you can get a real minter with low mileage for £4-6k, and they'll be cheaper to run and insure. Or you could look at my thread about the MR2T
Old 30 November 2003, 12:19 AM
day tripper
Scooby Regular

Grant I thought you was after an octavia vrs, a real tuneable fwd car!
Old 30 November 2003, 01:34 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

lol... Yeah, I was considering one of those, but they are still too much to buy!!

Oh, and not totally convinced that I'd be happy with driving a Skoda, shallow but true!!

That reminds me, I havent been over to Briskoda for a while, time to take a wee look-see at whats happening!

Was just thinking about my next car thats all, and always liked the shape of the Corrado so just wanted to know some more information on them.

Not too sure I like the comments on higher insurance than a WRX Classic!!

Thanks to everyone who replied and gave their information... Much appreciated!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 30 November 2003, 03:13 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

depends on your specific situation, insurance is worked out on complex stat's based on where you live, your age, bla bla bla, so get a few quotes it might be okay for you..

I tried: www.confused.com and it searches loads and comes back with best price, there are a few engines like that, very good system does it in under an hour. I got quote fror MR2T & Classic scoob for less £1k, which for me in my situation, is very, very cheap, cheapest quotes I ever had for fast cars. The only ones that really stoopid was Fiat Coupe turbo and Corrado v6..
Old 30 November 2003, 09:42 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

I ran a K reg VR6 4 or 5 years ago. Never again

Sure it was fast, had a nice engine, handled well, but...

I had it recovered 3 times in a year. All different faults (electrical), so in the end I chopped it and was a happy bunny from then on

If I were looking again I'd be careful about the rads (they seem to get blocked) and they are very easy to clock.