Audi S3's what are they really like?

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2003, 11:07 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Chuck,

You are talking about RevoTechnik which has the low boost, 95 RON, 98 RON, etc settings.

The APR ECU can use the cruise control to give you some funky extras.

Funnily enough I have looked into these things!

[Edited by Andy Tang - 11/7/2003 11:10:44 AM]
Old 11 July 2003, 02:34 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Andy, I know its just a car, but having character is what makes the difference between loving a car you have to live with, and probably have a pretty serious financial investment in, and accepting its faults as opposed to getting itchy feet after six months.

Its what makes a Tigra ok, but a Puma great. Well, that and the handling

You'll never look back with fond memories of a car with no character. Its what makes the ownership experience just that bit better.

Guy I worked with had a 1.8turbo and then an S3 while I had my Scoob. Keen driver, likes his cars. Used to go on about how well built it was, etc, etc. Never how much fun it was.

We swapped cars for a weekend. 3 hours after the swap I'm thinking "this is nicely made" and he sent me a text saying "**** me, how much more fun is this"

He didn't care that it was made of tifoil and sticky backed plastic. In fact, he didn't even notice how poor the Scoob looked inside the whole time he had it.

Says it all for me really.

D

[Edited by Diablo - 11/7/2003 2:41:34 PM]
Old 06 November 2003, 04:49 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Question

I've had (yet another) change of heart with what car to buy!!!

What are the Audi S3's like?

Realistically I would be looking at a 3-4 year old one with high-ish mileage on it.

Anything positive or negative to say about the 210bhp model?

Common faults, issues, etc?

Cheers
Andy
Old 06 November 2003, 04:57 PM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

There are OK, I`ve had mine for just over a year now.

The 210bhp is pretty much as fast as the 225bhp car. Don`t expect Impreza levels of performance, they go pretty well though. They also cost a lot less than an Impreza to run and have build quality which is very solid, especially inside.

The best bet for info on them is either www.tt-forum.co.uk (they have an S3 section)or www.audi-sport.net
Old 06 November 2003, 05:01 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I had the 225 so ignore everything I'm about to say!
Thought it was a very nice car. Went from a standard enginned MY01 WRX to it and was really impressed. Fit and finish was fantastic. Engine easily tuned, loads of aftermarket support.
Steering and gearchange a big step forward from the S4 we had.
Only got rid of it because Nicki hated the fact that you couldn't fold the seats forward with one hand.
The brakes were classic Audi over servo'd though, very little feel.
Servicing was great, something like 24 months between oil changes as standard...blimey!
C
Old 06 November 2003, 05:13 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I'm not expecting the car to be as fast as the Subaru, but I do want something that is more refined, better built and hopefully easier to drive (more important for Caroline)

Over servo'd brakes would be better than what we have to deal with the Ford Ka!! The Seat and the Skoda I've test driven had over servo'd brakes, but it was suprisingly easy to get use to!

My friend has a 225bhp one and although it doesn't set the world on fire performance wise, it's still quicker than quite a few cars out there!

I though the only difference between the 210 and the 225 is the level of boost they run. If you look at aftermarket tuning companies, boths cars can be tuned to the same level, so I'm assuming they use the same blocks and turbos, and it a slight change in the ECU map!

Which ever way I look at it, it's a good way to get a 4wd turbo'd car again, but without all the attention that a Subaru or an Evo draws! Offering refinement over performance.

For the same money as a 2 year old 1.8T, or a brand new Leon (both of which will still a fair bit of money to lose on depreciated) you can get a 4 year old, average mileage S3 from a trader.
Old 06 November 2003, 05:20 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Hi, just bought one & I love it, best normal fast car I have driven!

Trending Topics

Old 06 November 2003, 05:22 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

www.tyresmoke.net

best UK site for S3 owners.
Old 06 November 2003, 05:25 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

I've had a couple. Very moddable (machanically VERY strong), boring though. Brilliant build and interiors, cheap(ish) to run. A good long term bet.
Old 06 November 2003, 07:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice car, a mate is selling his for about 14 grand, its been remapped (240 ish bhp) and it flies, its mint as well, mail me and I will pass it on to him.
Old 06 November 2003, 07:58 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

My thoughts from a test in a freind's 210bhp one:

Probably slightly slower at low speed than a standard bugeye, but very close. Almost certainly better at speed. 6 speed box with fairly low intermediate ratios gave impression of better acceleration, though. Easy to drive, well built, nice kit. Felt very solid on the road, pretty grippy, but without really being fun. One or two very minor issues where all the DSP etc could get confused and cut in too much on change of surfaces.
Old 07 November 2003, 09:05 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Question

When people say it's not fun what do they mean?

What makes say an Impreza or an Evo fun, but an S3 dull?
Old 07 November 2003, 09:11 AM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

Dull lifeless steeering, crap brakes, crashy suspension, dull engine note, lots of grip but no feel. Don't get me wrong, I loved both of mine, but being objective, it is not a cutting edge driving experience. Saying that, there are many positive aspects of ownership.
Old 07 November 2003, 09:11 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Andy,

They lack a bit of character. Do everything well, but no "soul".

Its an Audi thing

Old 07 November 2003, 09:33 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Dull lifeless steeering, crap brakes, crashy suspension, dull engine note, lots of grip but no feel
These are comments from a friend who owns a 225 model:

Steering is weighty and quite precise
Brakes a lot of bite and progressive (although over servo'd)
Suspension is compliant, but not as hard as a WR Suspension kit on the Impreza
Engine note will be the same as all the 1.8T VAG engines, so descrete
Excellent grip and due to the 4wd system, it will not encounter liftoff oversteer situations as easily as an Impreza.
Old 07 November 2003, 09:42 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Wink

They lack a bit of character. Do everything well, but no "soul".
I think that's a fair comment, then again it's just a car!
Old 07 November 2003, 09:56 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

They don't have independent rear suspension do they?
Old 07 November 2003, 10:18 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I always thought the Haldex awd system very snatchy and artificial Andy, on my testdrive the salesman went as far as to warn me about it after he got the idea I was going to drive it 'enthusiasticly' not a car I liked driving close to the limit as it just didn't give the feedback you need. Saying that it was a very nice A road blaster. Brakes are ON or OFF in my experience.
Evo magazine seem to think the 18" wheels make the car more dynamically pleasing.
All in all it's a fine, quick little car as standard, but not a 'sportscar' in my opinion....I still preferred it as a complete package to the MY01 bugeye.
Cman
Old 07 November 2003, 10:22 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Oh, and the Audi dealer in Guildford seemed very clued up regarding the enthusiasts scene, even going as far as saying AMD etc remaps wouldn't harm the warranty....which is nice...3 other audi dealerships I've used left a very bad impression on me and the wife, to the extent that Nicki wouldn't let me have another Audi since the service is soo crappy at the 3 local garages...so no RS4 for me then LOL
C
Old 07 November 2003, 10:24 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Cheers Chuck.

I'm really only after a fast car, rather than a sportscar at the moment!

On Wednesday I drove a new Porsche Carrera (996) around a track! Now that is something I'd rather have, than a heavily tuned Impreza!!
Old 07 November 2003, 10:39 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

Andy, forget the Audis mate, I suspect you are looking along the same lines I have been..... blend of performance, build quality and absolute reliability?

I recently purchased an BMW E36 M3 Evo, 3.2 straight 6 (fantastic noise!), 321bhp, RWD, ALL the toys etc.... Had her 6 days now and still not bored

Worth considering mate, amazing car in its own ways! 100 times more character than the Audis (all IMHO!)

P
Old 07 November 2003, 10:44 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

The car is for me and my fiancee to replace our two cars.

She wants something easy to drive around town, reasonable performance and about Golf size.

I want performance, something I can still modify and be forgiving towards my poor driving skills.

Chuck, are you saying that Amd modifications don't invalidate your warrenty?? My mate wants to modify his S3, but is worried about losing a warrenty on a 6 month old car!! His brothers Audi had it's warrenty nulled when he was 500 miles late for a service!!

Old 07 November 2003, 11:02 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I'm saying that of course the warranty is invalidated 'technically', however the modifications are not obvious (you'd have to open the ecu case to spot em) and some dealers will advise you that they would never be able to spot them and therefore warranty work would be unaffected. Some dealers go as far as sending business to the more highly regarded tuners in the UK, but of course these dealers don't *really* expect their customers to invalidate the warranty by having these remaps done so they keep all waranty in order. Other dealers take the company line and advise you remaps are the work of the devil.
It's much like downpipes etc in the Subaru dealer network.
Check out the S3 BBS's matey.
Some really cool mods available...multi-settings (standard, 95ron, 97 ron, service settings (low boost) etc) Some need the cruise control option..it is then retro-fitted for you by the tuner (a proper audi item)
Have a look around matey.
Cman
Old 07 November 2003, 11:44 AM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

I like the S3 very much but must agree with some comments made here.

You don't dont get much feel from the car but it does the job as well as most performance cars. It is a great car to drive long distance with nice Recaros/interior and a very flexible, economic engine.

In the handling and performance department the S3 is a match for a standard UK Turbo. This is in terms of speed rather than entertainment.

When people say you don't get Impreza performance I am slightly baffled as there is nothing in it.

If you chip the S3 it releases the performance it should have in the first place. It really is a big jump. The mid range is superb and sixth gear will rocket from 60mph upwards.

I would say a top notch overall car but not suitable if pure driving thrills are top of the agenda.
Old 07 November 2003, 12:12 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Nah Andy, I was talking about the APR stuff...APR, AMD its all soo confusing. When I had mine Forge was just starting to really market themselves on the boards so the REVOTechniq stuff isn't something I've seen before.
If you get one I have a hardly used Green induction kit you can have BTW...it needs oiling but only did about 1k miles in mine before I decided it sounded a bit stooopid LOL
Rgds
Cman
Old 07 November 2003, 12:19 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the information guys!

Chuck, if everything goes to plan then I will take you up on your offer! I might even buy you a drink or three!!
Old 07 November 2003, 01:23 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

These are comments from a friend who owns a 225 model:

Steering is weighty and quite precise
Brakes a lot of bite and progressive (although over servo'd)
Suspension is compliant, but not as hard as a WR Suspension kit on the Impreza
Engine note will be the same as all the 1.8T VAG engines, so descrete
Excellent grip and due to the 4wd system, it will not encounter liftoff oversteer situations as easily as an Impreza.

Your mate needs to drive more cars to have a better idea of a comparison. Like I said, I really enjoyed both of mine, but there are major flaws with the Audi driving experience.

Old 07 November 2003, 01:29 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

To be fair to him, he has driven to name a few the Cooper S, new M3, new Audi S4, 996, Lotus Elise, etc, etc!

He is the first to admit that the S4 is a better package, but with mpg regularly being single figures isn't good.
Old 07 November 2003, 01:35 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

Your mate must have a lower threshhold of what makes a good driving experience than me, I found it dull but quick if you mod it, I too have driven exotica, but have also found that the driving experience of the S3 can be put to shame by far more humble machinery, the game has moved on yet the S3 was never on the pace even when it was launched.
I would be looking at a 330ci, which I had a couple of after my S3's, a far, far suprior car.
Old 07 November 2003, 02:36 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

I really miss my old Scoob and my 'Teg

Quick Reply: Audi S3's what are they really like?