workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool. I'm out in an A3 3.2 tomorrow.
Old 04 November 2003, 12:18 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

We went to look at an RX-8 last weekend, they didn't even have one to look at, told us to come back this weekend just gone, which we did.

They had one in the showroom, but you can't look in it/open the doors 'cos it's sold.

they had a demo car which was out, it came back they opened the doors and let us look around whilst the salesman stayed inside, never came out to talk us through the car, the missus couldn't open the boot so went back inside to ask them how, still wouldn't come out.

So that put her off buying one for good.

This is the second such experience I've had in a Mazda garage, had the same issue when looking at an MX-5/MGF many years ago.

regards,

Greg
Old 04 November 2003, 01:09 PM
Contigo
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that, my dealer gave me the keys and a full tank of fule and let me razz around in a silver hi-power for one hour on saturday morning. I pick mine up this Saturday and can assure you it is a great drive.

Where are you based?

Old 04 November 2003, 02:33 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Leeds.
Old 05 November 2003, 02:13 AM
ScoobyKev
Scooby Regular

Contigo.

He didn't give you the keys, he left them on the table and you knicked them You must remember to fill her up after you've given her the biggest canning she'll ever have in her life....
Old 05 November 2003, 11:20 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Talking

If anyone is interested here are my comments on a test drive last Friday in the RX-8.

===
Ok, so the lowdown:

I got the dealer to allow me to drive it on the roads I know near Winchester. They were fine about that and gave me an hour to do as I wanted

The car: Looks better in the flesh than in the pictures - hard to believe but it really does. The interior is incredible, thing Audi TT with decent styling. None of the crappy aluminium look plastic just the real stuff. The one I drove had leather and DVD-SatNAV as options as well. Seats are really comfortable but not as supportive as the Civic IMO. Loads of space in the rear. Oh and you think the dash in the VW Golf is good? Wait until you see the dash in an RX-8 glow into life.

Performance: Not as quick as my Civic but then that was expected (CTR is chipped, inducted and exhaust - RR 223bhp). Got a shock when I overtook and the VTEC didn't cut in (oops), so did the girl from the garage who went out with me. Quicker than it feels though, easy to hit high speeds without realising it because the power is mega smooth on delivery. Acceleration is quick according to the speedo but you just don't feel it. One thing - the digital speedo is odd because you don't notice it and watch the revs, difficult to stay under the limit in a 30/40 but you would get used to this.

Handling: Wow! This took the biscuit. Obviously I haven't tried on track (although Mazda are cool about this), but on the road it's totally confident. Nothing else I've driven comes close (although I'm sure a decent 911 would wipe the floor on it!). Loads of steering feedback, loads of control on the corners, great positioning due to the wheel arches. Very good suspension as well, bit more roll than the Civic but much smoother.

Odds'n'Ends: Stereo - Bose 9 speaker and very loud with tons of bass. A/C full climate control. Rear access - better than you would expect by miles. My 5"11 teenage son had no problem at all sitting in the back during the test drive.

If you're in the know the route I drove was:

Out from Chandlers Ford and up onto the M3. Drive to Winnall then double back down the A31 slip road. Up onto the M3 and exit immediately, head for Shawford. Drive down through Shawford and turn right at the Hursley roundabout onto Poles Lane. Left at the end of Poles Lane then left onto the Chandlers Ford lane. Avoid the humpback bridge and back to the garage. I chose these because they took in all types of road, let me drive properly and definitely weren't special RX-8 suitable roads.

Overall I was totally impressed with this car, it's a fantastic replacement for a CTR driver who wants to get a more 'grown up' car.

Any more questions?

Oh yes, just one more.

Did I buy one?

Yes :-D

What will it be:

231ps hi-power RX-8
Titanium with black leather
DVD SatNav

Arrives 5th January 2004

Laurence

Trending Topics

Old 05 November 2003, 11:31 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Anyone know if any 2nd hand ones or ex-demo's are for sale?
Old 05 November 2003, 11:44 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Smile

Do a search on Autotrader. There's a few on there that are very low milers. Thing is that most of them are selling for over retail price and you can get a brand new one delivered in around 8 weeks!

Laurence
Old 05 November 2003, 02:01 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Wink

Yeah, I've already done that....they're having a laugh...it's not as if it's a super rare super car is it? (ok it's rare at the moment, but 6months will change that )
Old 05 November 2003, 07:07 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Talking

It's the law of supply and demand dude!
Old 05 November 2003, 07:24 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the old Poles Lane, know it well, few nice turns then a big straight, many a car has been guided down their under my supervision guessing it was from Hiltingbury MAzda then
Old 05 November 2003, 08:04 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yep it was
Old 05 November 2003, 09:55 PM
Contigo
Scooby Regular

Yup mine is delivered this Friday. Can't believe that your Civic is quicker!

Still nowhere near as good a car and I'm glad that you have gone for one. If anyone wants a silver hi-power with cloth interior then feel free to call my local dealer cos a guy has just cancelled.

Old 06 November 2003, 08:18 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for not putting me down on that one

Don't get me wrong the RX-8 is a very fast car and IS quicker than a standard Civic Type-R, it's just that one of the main things the chip added to mine (apard from nearly 20bhp ) was torque under the VTEC. Makes it very rapid

I did order an RX-8 after all, only 7 weeks to wait now as well

Laurence
Old 06 November 2003, 10:56 PM
dazman
Scooby Regular

Nice to see yet another convert Well come to the club Lpitt