Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

M3 with smg... better than i thought it would be!

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2003, 10:35 AM
churchwa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am trying to find that forum/group but i cannot seem to find it. I must be being rally stupid!

Ahhh found it!! Now i just have to wait to be accepted. Many thanks for your help

[Edited by churchwa - 11/3/2003 11:01:58 AM]
Old 11 March 2003, 12:23 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that mate.
I will do a search for you to see where you can download the latest software.

BUT, you need to tell me what version you have (as you can't upgrade all versions in one step):

-How old is your car?
-Does it have the widescreen display (vertically split)?

[Edited by Skittles - 11/4/2003 11:06:50 AM]
Old 15 October 2003, 06:56 PM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i sold my evo and e36 328 to get an m3 with smg. i was running two cars and got sick of the costs, the space they were taking up etc etc. so i thought, i'll get a compromise between my e36 328 auto, and my evo. anyway, went and test drove an m3 with smg, and thought this is pretty good. but you never can tell straight away how good it is sometimes. but i thought b0ll0cks to it, i'll chance it.
ive had mine since monday, and the more i drive this car, the more i love it. i had to plough everything i had into it for the deposit, so i aint rich by any means (just car daft), but i cant mod it, so it'll save me money in the long run i spose

im actually suprised just how quick it is, and how well it grips no lag, floor it and yer head snaps back, it really has suprised me. engine sounds fab, and its a great place to sit
if anyone is thinking of getting one of these, im happy to give any advice i can. im a car nut first and foremost, and a friendly one at that. im waiting for the words wet and twisties, but any car that comes with its own lane on the motorway as standard cant be all bad

Old 15 October 2003, 07:00 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

She's a real smasher!! Is it Techno violet?
dave
Old 15 October 2003, 07:02 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Very nice mate, have been considering changing my Sti8 for one with SMG but like you wasn't sure.
Simon
Old 15 October 2003, 07:05 PM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

hi mate
yep, technoviolet. i had to take a quick piccy yesterday while the sun was out, technoviolet is a bit hard to capture on film. sometimes, in certain light, it looks blacky-purple, in others much brighter. i thought it went well with the 19 inch rims
i love silver m3's, but theyre a bit flash, and wanted a car that was a bit more stealthy when parked up, especially at night. the women love it though
Old 15 October 2003, 07:08 PM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

Smile

if theres anything you need to know simon, just ask im hoping to avoid an m3 vs this that and the other debate, just wanted to share opinions on these cars to anyone interested in getting one

Trending Topics

Old 15 October 2003, 08:04 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive been in one a few times.. finally got chance to drive one the other day.. very nice

Hope you enjoy it
Old 15 October 2003, 08:24 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Love M3's, well the E46 variant anyways. One of my girlfriends mates has just got one so Im hoping for a passenger ride soon.

Simon.
Old 15 October 2003, 09:00 PM
Mmmmm
Scooby Regular

Lovely motor.

SMG2 gearbox is great. Get that launch control engaged

Spot on for track days too.

Speed run SMG2 from idle to 157mph roof down, no launch control

Old 15 October 2003, 09:25 PM
Mega
Scooby Regular

MMMMMMMM....Nice one Spud!
Mega
Old 17 October 2003, 08:31 AM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

cheers guys
been taking it easy with her the last few days, still getting used to it,its very different from the evo. ****** wont fit in my garage though, too wide! never realised how wide they are. never mind, was planning to put a gym in my garage anyway

i still cant get over the engine noise. im so used to loud exhausts on jap cars, that its nice to hear the engine for once. it 'sounds' like a proper sports car, i absolutely love it!
Old 17 October 2003, 08:41 AM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If I had the dosh I'd be driving an M3 SMG now...amazing technical specification coupled with (I presume) superb build quality and reliability.
I saw a metallic black M3 SMG in the supercar paddock at Goodwood this year and boy did it look mean
Old 17 October 2003, 12:04 PM
emthreewannabee
Scooby Regular

Lovely Motor Spudgun VI!

Must admit, E46 M3 SMG is my dream car, though thats a few years down the line! Will get an E36 EVO before that though.

Great car mate but ah, alas, a Scooby would beat it on the twisties and in the wet what a shame!

[Edited by emthreewannabee - 10/17/2003 12:04:46 PM]
Old 17 October 2003, 12:06 PM
emthreewannabee
Scooby Regular

Actually, nah, don't want this to degenerate into another Scooby v M3 thread, we all know its no contest anyway

Spudgun VI, has yours got the SAT nav/TV in it? And how does it compare to E36 M3??

Old 17 October 2003, 12:51 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

but any car that comes with its own lane on the motorway as standard cant be all bad
PMSL

[Edited by SiPie - 10/17/2003 12:52:17 PM]
Old 17 October 2003, 07:08 PM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

Smile

emthreewannabe
i never had an e36 m3, only test drove one a few years back. the offset peddles p1ssed me off, so i never bought one. its got sat nav, tv, heated seats,harmon kardon, the full monty. spent more than i should, but i thought if i dont get the toys i want, i'll be p1ssed off i didnt in six months time, so i thought fukk it, go the whole hog
build quality is very good. the price of mods is shocking (acs peddles, yes peddles, fitted by dealer is around £450!!!) the only mod i really plan is the acs supersprint backbox, its dealer approved and sounds sweeeeeeeet
Old 17 October 2003, 07:46 PM
scoobyp1
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt mind a skyline mate but it wont fit in the garage......
Whats Pocs car ?
Old 17 October 2003, 08:35 PM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

Cool

ive put a link in your for sale thread mate
Old 18 October 2003, 01:49 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Good choice! I have a manual M3 Evo, but have test driven both the E46 M3 SMG and one of its rival gearshifts the "Cambiocorsa" in the maserati coupe AKA the "F1" gearbox from the ferarri 360.

The M3 SMG II box is streets ahead of the ferarri box and is the only SMG I would have.

enjoy it!
Old 18 October 2003, 06:14 AM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

I went from me Sti7 340bhp 310lbs torque and bought an E46 SMGII.

Lovely car, very different to scooby,SMG is great.
but would never get into a scooby v M3debate as I loved me scooby aswell.

Just got Pi??ed when the STi8 came out and knocked 10 grand of me car.
Old 19 October 2003, 07:10 PM
M3 Evo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Great colour! Looks really well on the M3, and it was my favourite on the E36 aswell.

Got to echo the comments about SMG, i was abit sceptical when i found out the CSL was SMG only but now i wudnt hesitate to reccomend it to anybody! You need more time with than just a mere test drive it takes around a week to appreciate the full benefits!

Enjoy!
Old 19 October 2003, 07:29 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

Whats Pocs car ?
Eh?

Spud, I am proper jealous mate, I am gagging for a new shape M3! About to start looking about for one of the 321bhp E36 M3 Evos to **** about in for a while (you've put me right off the S4 idea!)
Old 20 October 2003, 06:25 PM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

hi poc
i recommended someone take a butchers at the scooby you have for sale, thats all, dont worry
glad you went off the s4 idea too, total **** on four wheels.
instead of chopping and changing cars frequently, spending huge sums on modding etc, why not put a big deposit down and get an e46 m3
ok, so this car cost me a sh1tload, BUT, if i manage to keep it for 3 years, i cant mod it (saving me a ridiculous amount of dosh per year) AND i will own the ****** in 3 years. the m3 to me is an investment in a weird kind of way. ok it'll depreciate, but its mods that i lose hugely on, and apart from the acs backbox, theres little i can do to it (thank fukk)

went out yesterday for the first time down my favourite road, using the paddleshifts. its the first time in a long time ive actually grinned driving a car. the noise, the way it blips on the downchange, the sheer speed and handling of the thing totally impressed me. i thank god i have this car! i cannot fault it in any way

anyway, im off to thailand tomorrow for my first holiday in five years, so any answers will have to wait till i get back in a fortnight. but all i will say in the meantime is this...

anyone seriously thinking about one of these cars, dont be put off by the image thing (if you drive a scooby you dont worry about that anyway) and just take one for a good long test drive. what a bl00dy car!
Old 20 October 2003, 07:24 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hiya Spud.I test drove one on Saturday and was pleasantly suprised.Handling,grip agility is as good as my STi (drive was in the dry). Loads of poke and the sound of the engine!! I really liked the SMG box works really well. Anyway as you've probably gathered I'm buying one.

The car I test drove was brand new( BMW demo car). I'm intending to buy second hand, is the SMG box as good on the early cars. I ask this as I've seen the term SMG 2 used implying that there was a SMG1.
Have a nice one in Thailand matey
Old 21 October 2003, 08:18 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

SMG1 was on the old shape BMW.
This generation all have SMGII.
Old 21 October 2003, 01:14 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks guys. Does anybody know whether the SMG was available from the very first e46 or was it released a little later in the life of the car?
Old 25 October 2003, 08:26 PM
M3 Evo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I think it came around six months after the manual but not certain.

You will be suprised if you get a second hand car how much faster it will be than the brand new demo test driver you took out, the M3 engine gets looser and faster with more milage!

Quick Reply: M3 with smg... better than i thought it would be!