Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

buying advice-mitsi evo II Vs M3 evolution

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2003, 08:58 AM
dave jones
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive been looking at buying either a mitsibushi evo II(1994) with 40,000 milesw or a BMW M3 evo(1996) with 70,000. The evo is the RS lightweight version in white with a different gearbox and 280bhp as standard priced at £5,500 and the BMW is £11,295 in avis blue and cream leather.

I havent driven either yet, but I want to use the car for drag racing at santa pod and also for track days. I know the BMW has 40bhp over the evo and looks nicer but which would be better suited for racing as i'm not sure about the handling on the M3. Also the M3 is meant to be ultra reliable but what is the reliability like on the mitsibushi?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 07 October 2003, 10:32 AM
emthreewannabee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmmm.....Well i'd definatley go for the M3 personally

Your saying your wanting to go on track days and race on Santa Pod, well there's the obvious argument re the four wheel drive advantage round corners but that's the only argument for the Mitsibushi.

I've never been to Santa Pod but would confidently bet the M3 will perform rather well down the strip, Mitsibushi/Scooby etc might get off to a faster start but ur M3 will be leading at the end
(I don't know how long the strip is btw)

The only thing to worry about with the M3 Evo is the Double VANOS being shagged. I won't go into it in detail, do some searches for VANOS on here or http://www.bm3w.co.uk/ and you will get all the info you need. I know they did a poll on that site and a worryingly high % of M3 Evo's had had problems and its not cheap to put right but Im sure I read somewhere that aslong as your M3 has FBMWSH then BMW will pay for the parts. Oh year, FBMWSH is ESSENTIAL.

And off course with the BMW your getting a far superior car