Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Improving a 4X4's performance

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2003, 06:01 PM
KarlosFandango
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I use a Daihatsu fourtrak as a general run about and for towing. Any body with experience of these will know how slow they are. They have a 2.8Td engine, so I'm thinking that all you performance diesel owners will know a trick or two to get a bit more ooomph. There are different companies around that can increase the fuelling/boost at different revs to give a smoother pull and more torque with no loss to MPG(call it optimisation). I'm not too keen on the chip or smartbox route, the optimisation seems like it is set up to suit the engine so should be a little kinder than chipping??

This is the place I was thinking of going
www.vanaaken.com
Old 11 September 2003, 06:37 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you think thats a wise move given the handling ?
Old 11 September 2003, 07:05 PM
KarlosFandango
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, fair point. Thing is as standard it is pants, has about 100Bhp and torque of 180. It is excruciatingly slow and can be an **** when towing anything heavy. I thought that an extra 30bhp and more torque would just make it more driveable, surely it couldn't compromise handling that much??(did have a major sideways in the middle of Norwich on a damp road late one night though
Old 12 September 2003, 01:03 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
I could be wrong on this...But I'm sure the fourtrack uses good 'ol fashioned diesel technology (no common-rail ECU controlled stuff). It may use a ECU to control basic enrichment on boost, but that'll be it. So I'd doubt there would be any "plug in" boxes like the VAG's and BMW's

But I'm sure the pump can be re-calibrated to give extra fuel and combine that with increased boost pressure and bigger intercooler and you may get something interesting. Just need to find someone who knows what they are doing. Vanaakan ia probably a good bet.