Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Renault Clio probs again..

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2003, 02:21 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

My otherhalves Clio had yet another thing go wrong this week - the hazard light switch is broken or the relay. They are on permenantly - this is not necessarily a bad thing.. But I've had to remove the fuse to stop the battery from going flat - which means no indicators either.

And guess what, the garage doesn't keep these parts in stock...

it gets better, they can't fit the car in for any work until after the 26 September!

So, well done Renault & the dealers, everytime we think things can't be handled any worst - you prove us wrong!

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10 September 2003, 02:33 PM
towzer
Scooby Regular

Cue Druddle to join in the "Clio's are crap" thread
Old 10 September 2003, 02:38 PM
Corpulent Tosser
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Mrs Tosser is on her second Clio, nothing has gone wrong in 4 years of Clio ownership !

Maybe she has been lucky !
Old 10 September 2003, 02:51 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

MrsREV Clio is the worst car I have ever owned and as soon as she'll let me, the bloody thing is going. She rang me the other week to tell me it had been hit by a bus while it was parked, I prayed for it to be written off, but no, it wasn't to be.
Old 10 September 2003, 03:14 PM
Ben Muirhead
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

If it makes you feel any better, Peugeot dealers are just as turd !

They should both stop eating so much garlic and get some work done.
Old 10 September 2003, 05:24 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

According to a WHICH report, approx 5 out of every 30 odd new Renaults have faults from day one.

Sorry guys, just wanted to air my disappointment with these people again. The car was in the garage 3 weeks after we picked it up Feb 2002 with stalling probs and has just got worst since.
Old 10 September 2003, 06:58 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

my indicators went on my 30 year old GT6 today. fixed it meself in about 30 secs.

supid french ****.

Trending Topics

Old 10 September 2003, 10:48 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

My cup has been faultless from new.
Old 10 September 2003, 11:04 PM
Gary VR6
Scooby Regular

You're lucky Zoog; mine (also a cup) rattles, the front suspension knocking is back again (having had it fixed back in June), and it's booked in to have the engine mounts sorted. Oh, it's picke dup loads of little dents - I'm convinced it's made of painted tin foil.

On the positive side, it still goes like stink and makes me smile constantly. Infact, I think I love it more because of it's roughness/crapness: I find the faults endearing.
Old 11 September 2003, 11:48 AM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

The remote on my 172 keeps playing up, when i try to lock it it won't work (60% ot the time), i then have to restart the engine to recode the key to get it to work again.

The front suspension knocks on full lock

The glovebox lid doesn't fit properly

The cars been back to the dealer who couldn't care less, i was waiting over 2 hours while the decided nothing was wrong?
Old 11 September 2003, 11:54 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
If you ever get the chance to talk to the average french car worker (and I have) you'd understand why their cars are so hit an miss. Think British Leyland in the 70's and you wouldn't be far off their attitude!

I live here and wouldn't own a French built car-seemingly a lot of french people agree with me as they all seem to be buying VW's.
Old 11 September 2003, 12:09 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

My Cup has been faultless as well.
Old 11 September 2003, 01:31 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Did you know that it is common practice here in France for workers to down 1/2 a ltr of wine and then go back for an afternoons work?

Mind you that's just the ones who aren't alcoholics the rest will have more like a full bottle and a couple of shorts "to fortify" themselves.

Sort of puts the widly varying quality control of French cars into perspective doesn't it.

Even the most avid French car fan will tell you the product varies wildly from car to car. That can't be good. BTW I love the way Clio Sports/Cups perform and have owned a few french cars including one of my fav cars of all time the 205GTI.
Old 11 September 2003, 03:37 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Uncle's clio 172 is going strong (I'm talking about the argument with the finance company, Renault UK, and the dealers ) ..

So far (what I remember him from his moans in the pub)
Random loss of power, cutting out, especially when trying to pull out of a junction.
Rattles 'n squeeks with trim - fixed, but returned
Dodgy clutch - alledgedly fixed
Gearbox problems - blamed on clutch - new flywheel fitted also
Clutch - still not right
Gearbox 3rd syncro - knackered

And a load of other stuff...but I stopped listening by then

Driven the car myself, and its load of crap. Good practice for double-de-clutching
Old 11 September 2003, 07:47 PM
SAB
Scooby Regular

Angry

I had a 172 with serious power loss problems. Extremely dangerous. Will never buy another Renault!
Old 11 September 2003, 08:07 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

nicole et papa will be unhappy with your comments
Old 11 September 2003, 08:31 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

woman at work has an X reg clio sport 2.0 16v and has just had it in becuase the water hose came loose for no reason and over heated...

Dan
Old 11 September 2003, 10:07 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

There's good and bad from every manufacturer, but when Renaults are bad they seem to be really bad and the dealers are amongst the worst.

A couple of my friends have had Lagunas as company cars (forced upon them btw) and one had only a few minor niggles whereas the other lived with the dealership who seemed to take afront at the fact that he wanted a courtesy car from them when his car was resident there for weeks at a time.

Personally wouldn't touch any French car with a barge pole for a variety of reasons.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 12 September 2003, 10:43 AM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

I had two 172's at the same time. One of them was a belguim import and was 100% perfect. The other was a UK car and has so far had about 10 trips back to the dealer for varying problems. These range from exhaust replacement to cure a funny noise which eventually turned out to be a missing grommet ....haha...thick engineers, to broken air con pipe three times.
Great car crap build quality and dealers
Old 12 September 2003, 11:48 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Here I am better late than never (only just seen this as I have been at Assen and in London for work...)

We all know how many problems i have had with my 172, but heres a brief summary...

* 4 days after I got the car it had to go back as timing belt was fitted wrong and rubbing on inside of engine. Almost snapped it.
* 1st clutch went at 7000 miles - faulty clutch plate release springs
* 2nd clutch went at 24000 miles with same problem and also oil contamination
* Oil seals on gearbox and engine gone at 22000 miles. Oil had leaked onto clutch plate and contaminated it.
* Headlamp washers fell apart. Have just had the 3rd set replaced as they leaked and water stained the bumper, and it is still leaking
* Climate control sensor broken at 16000 miles
* Rear brake problems at 20000 miles
* Broken shock absorber at 30000 miles
* Oil sensor broken so oil light always on in dash. 1st visit didnt fix it, 2nd visit they forgot to fix it.
* New exhaust system at 24000 miles - to fix known issue.

.....shall i go on ??

The worst bit has been the standard of the maintenance work and the service from Renault. I have given up arguing with them and leave it to the leasing company now.

The best bit is that i heard last week my local dealer in Reading has gone into receivership. Didnt laugh much when i heard that...

I am unfortunately stuck with the car until next July, unless i convince the leasing company to terminate the lease early and let me have a Cupra R

Dave
Old 12 September 2003, 12:02 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Druddle .....

question about ya headlamp washer things ...... did it show itself as a water style run which goes down ya bumper and stains.......cant get it out? If that is the case I have that too. What was wrong and what did they do to fix it?
Old 12 September 2003, 12:18 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Hi Gary

One of the washers has been leaking and has stained the bumper with what looks like limescale. I took it into Renault and they replaced the washer and cleaned the bumper but i dont know how. Its still leaking though....

Dave
Old 12 September 2003, 03:42 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Red face

Dave,

Hope they buckle and give you the Cupra R soon mate,

All the best, Alex
Old 12 September 2003, 04:39 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I have already told the leasing compay that if it has one more major fault on it i will deliver it to Renault and i will not be picking it up. The guy who i have dealt with all along at the lease company said "and you are serious arent you Mr Ruddle."

"Yes i surely am sir" was the reply

"I dont blame you, i would do the same" was his response !!!
Old 12 September 2003, 04:40 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Oh Alex, i forgot, one of the most recent faults was that the hazards would work. Was a faulty switch....

Dave
Old 15 September 2003, 03:06 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

My cup has been faultless from new.
Lucky b@st@rd!

My 2 month old Cup has already been back in several times for various things, the most major being a new gearbox!!!

It is a great car to drive, great handling & fast, but has the build quality of a christmas cracker!
Old 15 September 2003, 06:18 PM
SAB
Scooby Regular

Cool

Christmas crackers aren't that bad!
Old 15 September 2003, 06:33 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Renault even had the courtesy to crash my car (back in the old Laguna days ) after servicing it and then to try and say that I'd smashed it prior to bringing it in ..... and that was just the tip of the iceberg

Frog legs munching scum
Old 15 September 2003, 08:57 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Been keeping my eye on this one - here's my tuppence worth from having two Clio's in the family.

Mine (Cup) bought brand new, now with 12k on the clock. Had a number of niggly faults with it within the first 6 weeks/1.5k miles that really teed me off and led to me writing a rejection letter to Renault. My local dealer was pretty poor and managed to replace 172 bits of interior trim with 1.2 sections as well as break the gaiter into the bargain! Won't be bothering to give them any of my custom in the future... The Cup has been well behaved since then and the overall driving side of the equation won me over.

My wife has had a 1.2 Sport since new and has done over 20k now with only one minor fault - slight rattle from the drivers seat that was fixed at first time of asking.

Here’s my Renault report card

Driving A
Running Costs A+
Reliability B
Build Quality B-
Dealers C- [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 15 September 2003, 09:26 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Mine (Cup) bought brand new, now with 12k on the clock. Had a number of niggly faults with it within the first 6 weeks/1.5k miles that really teed me off and led to me writing a rejection letter to Renault.
Similar to me...

I'm a bit peeved with the Cup at the moment as I'm in my 8th week of ownership and it keeps needing to go in for various bits to be sorted.

Newest one is a PAS fluid leak!

The Cup has been well behaved since then and the overall driving side of the equation won me over.
Well, hopefully mine will be well behaved once all the teething troubles are sorted.

When I drive it I love it, but if it keeps giving trouble it will get sold!

Quick Reply: Renault Clio probs again..