Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

FROM SCOOBY TO M5 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2003, 08:17 AM
dominicm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a MY95 STI RA which I use for trackdays and the odd cross country spank and I own a 2001 M5 which is my everyday car!! The scooby is great fun, has about 330bhp, RA gearbox, cut slicks etc. and is very quick. The M5 is also amazingly quick and agile for a 1800Kg car, plus it is so refined!

I have owned Jaguar XJR's and driven other so called super saloons including RS4's and RS6's and IMHO the M5 is the best all rounder car you can buy!! It also does 0-100 in less than 11 secs which is supercar quick!

The only problem is depreciation, they've stopped making the current model about 3 months ago and a new M5 will not be out for at least another 18 months. I reckon my M5 loses about £8000 a year!

Dom.

[Edited by dominicm - 8/4/2003 8:25:38 AM]
Old 08 April 2003, 08:44 AM
dominicm
Scooby Regular

Isn't she a beauty, its even got double glazing!

[Edited by dominicm - 8/4/2003 8:45:40 AM]
Old 08 May 2003, 03:24 PM
dominicm
Scooby Regular

I haven't heard of the UUC Motorwerks quick shift, do you have a link to their website.
I did a trackday at Oulton Park on the 15th July and the M5 wasn't to impressive, I warped the discs and cooked the pads after only 3 sessions. It was a very hot day, track temp. was over 45 degrees but the 9 year old scooby didn't miss a beat!

In tried to buy some aftermarket discs but couldn't find any so I had them skimmed and put some hard Mintex pads in which have a lot better feel at the pedal.

Email me using my profile about the meet on the 17th, I might be around.

Cheers
Dom.

[Edited by dominicm - 8/5/2003 3:26:37 PM]
Old 08 May 2003, 05:53 PM
P1_scooby
Scooby Regular

Jazz : its mainly a weekend car, as I use the brillant public transport system in the weekdays! erm, yes "professionally fitted"..although with the right tools (mainly a lift) I'd have been able to fit it myself!
Originaly OEM exhaust is welded on as one complete piece, hence needs cutting from the CATBack's.. (yep, m5's have 2 cats! imagine how a fully decatted one would sound!

dom :
UUCMotorwerks
one distributer in the uk as them at £170+vat&delivery.. not bad.. its also quite highly rated by the US guys on BMWM5.com

Brakewise, the AP Racing kit (356mm discs) with 6pots should fit straight on, and improve the brakes quite alot! (std discs are 345mm in size) The AP kit also fits under the std 18" alloys too

What brake setup do you have on the scooby?

Have you thought about changing the suspension on the m5?

I'll mail ya later about the meet.

cheers
Tin

[Edited by P1_scooby - 8/5/2003 5:58:56 PM]
Old 01 August 2003, 07:01 PM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hi i havnt posted in here for quite soem time ..i been having therapy to keep me away from scoobynet lolol, [think i used to be nicebloke35 so you can see ive used my imagination and stretched to this nik] but i digress.
Heres the story, had my 99 for bout two year, done various buts to her, wheels, springs, brakes, ppp, ggr sports cat, dawes sort of stuff... anyway im being tempted ..by the baverian dark side in the form of darth 'm5' vader on about 99 to 2000 [they arnt cheap]
i love the scoobs, i neednt go on and repeat reasons why ...we all know who drive em, but i used to have a couple of beemers, biggest was a 328....lovely car but bit slow to a scoob...
However a 25k m5 has lots of power, good 0 to 60 most reckon under 5.5 at least, then of course its got more toys than santas sack !! lol im bloody tempted i can tell you.......
so any comments on any thing to do with my long blathering thread here people
your
always in gratitude
paul
Old 01 August 2003, 07:32 PM
Deep Blue Mica
Scooby Regular

You're too young mate.....

wait another 10 years and rwo stones before even considering it!

Seriously, it's an awesome car.....my dad has a two year old one....it goes and handles really well.....but I really feel it's for older types!

DBM
Old 01 August 2003, 07:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Without a doubt do it.

I've only tried a 540, but have been weighing up the M5 market and reading up on them a lot. Almost daily I surf the Autotrader site looking for them My Scooby loving friends keep trying to put me off but the pull of the dark side is very strong.

You can even get a BMW approved one with 40000 miles, year's warranty and prepared exceptionally well with the desirable Comms pack for about £27k.

Trending Topics

Old 01 August 2003, 08:58 PM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

I hear you loud and clear there john, gods i never thought you would be tempted, if john ecuteck is being drawn then maybe the force is weak lol
as for an old mans car.... well ....36 i spose im not a boy any more, but not old............
the m5 is solid as a rock, it has presence, it sits like a well fed panther.......allright a slightly overfed panther then lol. its fast ..its got the type of bhp us scooby boys [boys.... or men ? lol] dream about 400 ish UNMODDED !!! all sorts of driving asisstance type toys, gorgeous leather sports seats, sat nav, tv's ... playstations [for me kids] big glorious wheels...... yup maybe it is more mature than a raw straining at the leash scoob, but im not knocking scoobs have one love it, but i like me luxeries, and of all the cars ive owned the scoob has the least and well im weak an i miss them
your right john i been looking at the 25 to 27 k more like 25 thought, and like you ive been trawling the internet for stuff, if you have any good sites put em up...
i feel the dark side is prevailing
paul
Old 01 August 2003, 09:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

http://www.bm5w.co.uk
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...=bmw+m5+review
http://files.bm3w.co.uk/docs/m5/2001Manual-M5.pdf
http://www.bm3w.co.uk/goodies/index.stm
I'll email you a pdf buying guide.
Old 01 August 2003, 09:19 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

http://files.bm3w.co.uk/video/m5/TopgearM5Review.WMV

Tell me this video doesn't make you want one
Old 01 August 2003, 09:25 PM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

right im checking it out right now.
Old 01 August 2003, 10:52 PM
SkodaMan
Scooby Regular

I'd have one, if only I had that kind of money. 25-27 grand is a good price for what was 60K only 3 years ago. I wonder how many examples have been badly abused on the track though.
Old 01 August 2003, 11:19 PM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

dont think that many have been ragged round tracks, especially seeing as they are old mens cars lol. but i spose a good history check and stuff might give a clear picture.
Old 02 August 2003, 08:18 AM
p1virgin
Scooby Regular

Got to be honest - I'm looking at them as well. Had the P1 18 months now and love it - will keep it until next year at least, but as I will hit 38 on Monday it does seem time to start thinking about the quiet life - lol (with 400big ones??) To get a 3 year old car that cost over £50k new for under £30 seems a good deal to me and I doubt too many have been thrashed as most have been owned by Execs who wanted the latest, most expensive toy to pose in. Imight have to hurry up though - with all the interest on this thread all the good ones will be gone soon!!
Old 02 August 2003, 10:07 AM
chinnybloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Never owned a Scooby but driven one. I've got a facelift (widescreen comms pack, angel eye xenons etc) Carbon Black M5.

I had an M3 before which was my "dream" car before I bought it. That disappointed me with the level of interest it attracted from the people you didnt want to attract! It was very nice but just not as nice as I expected. M5 though is completely different. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Price wise I agree with what has been said but I had been thinking of selling mine (it is in Top Marques this week), I have a Nov/2000/X reg, 39k miles UK car, BMWSH, BMW warranty with all of the toys at £32,650. My phone hasn't stopped rining even at that price. BMW garage offered me 30450 to buy it from me with no part-ex. He told me they'd re-sell it for 35k no problem, so thats where I got my price from. I have now changed my mind when reality of parting with it kicked in I thought no way is it going.

If you get a "cheap" one just make sure:

- It does not have wood on the dash (it looks SH*T and is much harder to sell on)
- Make sure its got Full BMWSH
- Make sure its got a BMW warranty if it has expired you cannot renew it
- If you find a cheap facelift one get one of those. Not sure if it is true but I was told they also have longer service intervals. Mine is facelift and service about every 15k.

Any questions just ask....
Old 02 August 2003, 01:06 PM
droid42
Scooby Regular

dont think that many have been ragged round tracks

Agree with that. In the days of owning my E46 M3 I did loads of trackdays in it. Saw plenty of other M3's but can't remember ever seeing an M5.

Ian.
Old 02 August 2003, 03:57 PM
P1_scooby
Scooby Regular

go for it mate..

i had a p1 (with lots of mods, induction,full decat,dumpvalve,remap,brakes etc) and sold it at the beginning of the year, and got a full loaded M5. Only done a full sutle mods (exhaust,pedals,facelift lights), other than that its a complete package, power with the luxuries 4dr too so its alot more practical and the boot space is massive!

Take one for a test drive and you will be converted, I was! Makes you really think that this heavy car can really move so quick when it wants to, plus its stealth looking, in that no large spoilers, scoops etc, parked up, looks just like a normal 5 series

If your not far from south mimms, there's a M power meet happening in a few weeks..checkout BM3W
Plenty of different m cars, servicing wise, it isn't far from scooby servicing.
Old 02 August 2003, 07:06 PM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

thanks P1, sounds like my cup o tea, but i only just got myself dug put o years o debt, so now im being a good lad and saving up for the majority of my payment, so i reckong i got about 18mths ish to save, then its going to be my 99 modded ppp scoob plus what ever i can save and maybe a tiny loan to bridge the gap, its driving me mad though cos for the past few months ive been thinking long an hard about what to get next:
these were the cars ive rituallistically researched on the net.....
1)new scoob sti ppp
2)new evo
3)nearly new s3(modded)
4)skyline...oldish though.. cos o price
5)new leon cupra r(modded)
6)nearly new m5
7)new 147 156 gta's
think that was all of them........looks like its going to be the m5...only thing is now i got to wait and work loads of extras to save up for 18mths and that seems a bloody long time...i want it now !!! lol
cheers paul
Old 02 August 2003, 08:19 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

have a word with mattoz he went from STi type R to skyline R33 GTR to M5 now i'm not jealous the git lol
Si
Old 02 August 2003, 11:46 PM
P1_scooby
Scooby Regular

no worries paul,

just out of interest, S3's are good little cars too, modded ones even better used to drive my little bro's black S3, compared to the p1, interior alot nicer, power lower than std p1, but still a nice car, would have been my 2nd choice if not a p1

test drove a brand new Evo 8 FQ300 this morning, only had 24miles on the clock, so couldn't really fully experience the power, as could only really rev it to 3.5k but was pretty impressed, interior was quite nice, and handling was good, suspension was very bumpy compared to my old p1 (had 18's too). Have to test drive it again when its fully run in, for a full comparison

In 18mths time, the new E60 M5 will hopefully be available, and from what the mag's/dealers say, V10 engine with 500bhp isn't too bad, Saying that you'll be in an ideal position to pick up a E39 M5 at a good price, (51/02 plate etc..

cheers

tin
Old 03 August 2003, 12:10 AM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

thanks all you boys an men [old men in m5's lol] for your info, its good an interesting reading, all i gotta do now is finde the 25k's lololol o well hello overtime and a quick againg process......[will that mean ill suit the m5 more with me premature ageing ?] lol
paul
Old 03 August 2003, 11:12 AM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

anyone out there got any pictures of there m5 beasties to study ?
Old 03 August 2003, 11:19 AM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

or any pros and cons lists ????? im getting obsessed here arnt i
Old 03 August 2003, 11:34 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Go for it. I love the 5 series, I think its dynamically a far better car than the 3 series. (but you'd expect that - seeing they cost more new ). Closest I've got to an M5 is a 540 with the Sports pack. But the M5 is an awesome car, I have to make do with borrowing my mums B/F's 535, but I still find it a good car, if little lacking in oomph (especially when it overheated the other day - so it was'nt a temp sensor fault ).
Old 03 August 2003, 10:44 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i have just bought a 540 sport so while i cant comment on the engine of an M5 i can comment on the rest.

build, superb...mine is a 2001 car and looks brand new still. Its a great place to sit, best seats i've ever sat in- you can do 3 hrs and still be comfy yet they hug as well as my scoo seats did.

looks, each to their own and you will get some "oldd man" comments, however these will be from kids in plastic jap stuff who get of to halfords adverts. MOST people will regard any BMW as a quality car, a 5 series even more so. My 540 has 19 inch alloys and looks as good as any other car i've had. It also says money quite nicely as well- i never liked spending 20+ on the scoob and people thinking i may have spent 10k on it!

my 540 cost 23k but still looks like a it did when it was 40+

ride- no doubt the M5 has different set up? but the sport is superb for a big car- it corners flatly, the back moves with traction of and with it on its not intrusive.

Toys! i have sat nav, Tv and EVERY other gizzmo....its just a great place to sit!

Tiggs
Old 04 August 2003, 10:47 AM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

yes dom a beauty, but wot is bad news to you [the 8k depreciation] well that is going to be good news to me cos the 18mths is about when i may have enough pennies to get me one.....thanks for all the info people...great. and lovely beasty dom
paul
Old 04 August 2003, 07:24 PM
P1_scooby
Scooby Regular

paul,

only got a couple of pics at the mo, will have some more in a couple of weeks

Supersprint exhaust :

Old 04 August 2003, 11:09 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Click to edit my post to see the intended layout..... Impreza is a MY00 turbo for comparison....

-----------------------Impreza-----M5

Weight distribution F/R 59/41 52/48
Nurburgring 8:37 8:20
Hockenheim 1:19.4 1:18.5
0-125mph 29.3 18.9
50-100mph 4th gear 14.1 7.6
60-0 41m 38.2m
125-0 154.3m 152.8m
0-125-0 34.9 24.4
Lat g at 100mph 1.0g 1.1g
Old 05 August 2003, 08:01 AM
dominicm
Scooby Regular

What exhaust is that, defo. not standard!!

Have you done any other Mods, I am very tempted with the quick shift as the gear change is appalling!!

Dom.
Old 05 August 2003, 12:25 PM
P1_scooby
Scooby Regular

hi dom,

nope, std exhaust was way too quiet for my liking.. had to bring back the sound from the decat p1, although not that loud. The supersprint system is alot better than the OEM one.

No real other mods, other than the ACS pedals.. car is more or less complete as it is.. its hard finding mods to do!

I was looking at the quickshift too, the cost of a ACS one is way over my budget really.. (£900 fitted at a dealer and you get a chrome gear lever, and lose the light), was looking at the UUC Motorwerks ones, as they still retain the original gear lever with illuminated light (plus there around the £200mark), will do the brakes when the time comes to replace them..

You going to the meet on the 17th? should be alot more M5 owners there this time round loads of m3's too

[Edited by P1_scooby - 05/08/2003 12:30:00]

Quick Reply: FROM SCOOBY TO M5 ?