My Evo 6 test drive!

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2003, 04:56 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Hi all,

Have had the scoob for over a year now(it has 260bhp ish) and i stumbled accross a very low mileage Evo6 near to me. So I thought, yeh why not I quite fancy that!

So turned up, looked round the car, really nice example. And went out for a drive, which is when the fun stopped! OK it was fast, but really not a whole deal faster than the scoob, power was more immediate, but quite frankly if Id been chasing it in my own car it would have by no means wasted me.

I really did fancy the car still, but was just left feeling a bit half soaked, Id need to find 5k to make the upgrade and I really dont think it was 5ks of extra fun!

Cracking car, but probably a better buy for someone who hasnt been driving an already fast car, if Id been in a normal car ie a modeo 1.8 or something the Evo would have seemed like a rocket ship!

AP

[Edited by ADP - 30/07/2003 11:39:09]
Old 27 July 2003, 06:20 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I was thinking of a similar move to an EVO V or VI , so it's interesting to read your comments.
5K seems a lot extra for a car of 'similar' age and performance, but it does go towards larger 17" Oz alloys and wider tyres, 4 pot Brembo brakes, Recaro seats and AYC which improves grip and stability. Additionally, if you throw in more exclusivity, meaner looks and extra power and torque it's money well spent IMO. Maybe the smoother power delivery hides some of that extra performance because I reckon if you put your car and an EVO side by side you'd see a fair difference in acceleration.

[Edited by scoobysnacks - 7/27/2003 6:23:12 PM]
Old 27 July 2003, 08:48 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

A get slated for saying the same thing. I felt my RA was slightly quicker than an E7 and now I am off the EVO owners christmas meal guest list .

Better get your flame suit ready .
Old 27 July 2003, 10:09 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Ive not been in a 6, only a 7 and compared to the rb5 ive been in it seemed a lot quicker (miles faster than the new wrx Ive driven as well).

Then again things always feel faster when you are a passenger, wasnt lucky enough to drive it.
Old 27 July 2003, 11:13 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Scoobysnacks, you got that in one m8.Those are the reasons why i upgraded to the Evo.Havent looked back.Each to their own
Old 27 July 2003, 11:25 PM
zero77
Scooby Regular

The EVO has a more linear power delivery and pulls a little harder once on song for a little longer than a scooby. I'll be getting my Version 5 RA on Wednesday so I'll be able to tell you how quick it feels compared to EVO as I used to have an EVO6.

I remember my old Sti (250BHP) was not as quick but gave more of a buzz as the was lag then a big kick, I didn't get this in the EVO.

I'd set some money aside for brake disks on the EVO and the wheels can also bubble up. ACY I could have done without as it broke anyway.
Old 29 July 2003, 11:11 AM
rapac
Scooby Regular

EVO VI will eat stock wrx or STI, does 13.5-13.6 sec 1/4 sraight from the factory??
It also has a very strong gear box and driveline in general.
I drive a 400hp wrx.

Cheers
Old 29 July 2003, 12:23 PM
Old Grey EVO man
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Oh dear! I must admit to being the owner of the EVO 6 that "dahn saarf" had his test drive in!! As my car has got less than 5,000 miles on it, is in genuine showroom nick, and I was trying to sell to a prospective buyer, I only gave him a fairly gentle drive!! Looks like I blew it!!! "The EVO is not much faster than the scooby" - RUBBISH!!! (Autocar test: 0-60 in 4.4s, 0-100 in 11.2s)

I can assure all non EVO 6 drivers, that the EVO 6 is the ultimate fun car!! Much faster than the standard scooby (that will cause a stir on this forum!!??), particularly around corners!! Guaranteed untouchable in the wet!! If anyone wants a REAL car for £17,300 - try me on 07976-373636!

Unfortunately I have two weddings to fund, so my weekend toy has to go!!
Old 29 July 2003, 01:01 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Lets compare a fully type approved 215bhp UK impreza against an EVO, no lets not. Unless you can find a fully type approved UK spec EVO . The reason UK scoobs arent as powerful is that they have to meet type approval regs which the EVO 6s dont. Thats why there are performance packs available.

An EVO is a Japanese import not a fully type approved car, so it has to be SVA-ed in this country. So compare your stock EVO6 to a stock grey import (also has to be SVA-ed) and the difference arent that great if any . EV0 6 was heavier than the comparable STI at the time and both rated at 280PS but widely known both were closer to 300PS.

Yes you can mod both there are 500+ bhp impreza kicking about now so it comes down to personal chioce.

Like I said, hope you got your flame suit ready .

If I was going to buy an EVO it would be a 6 or the TME edition

[Edited by chrisp - 7/29/2003 1:04:44 PM]
Old 29 July 2003, 01:26 PM
guv...
Scooby Newbie

My Subaru Type R (276bhp out the factory) used to eat Evo 6's for breakfast.

I love Subaru's and Evo's so not biased but remember not all Scoobs are the same
Old 29 July 2003, 01:55 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Don't forget the fabulous 4500 mile service intervals for EVOs, or the huge 45 litre fuel tank, giving a vast 150 mile range.

(Sorry if I've mis-stated the figures above, but you get the idea.)
Old 29 July 2003, 02:02 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Hi all,

Im not going to stir up any hornets nests here, Ron "Old Grey EVO man" did indeed take me out in his beautiful car. If anyone is considering one, then I strongly advise taking a look(it is like he says in brand new condition)

Just for the record though, my car has 260bhp and prodrive suspension, so is by no means standard. So the comparison I was making was between a car with 280bhp? and 260bhp - and lets face it, of the 2 people posting here Im the only one that has passangered and driven both cars.

So I stand by my point, the EVO was not significantly fast enough for ME to shell out (what would have cost me 5K or more).

Im not "Subaru loyal" infact I still fully intend to own an EVO, be it a 6, 7, 8, 9?? or whichever, just coming from my CURRENT car to a 6 at the moment doesnt seem worth the outlay.

Andy

[Edited by ADP - 7/29/2003 2:11:52 PM]
Old 29 July 2003, 02:46 PM
beefola
Scooby Regular

Just to add my 10c worth, this is another case of 'Scoobynet Syndrome', whereby if one person gives THEIR own opinion, it is instantly dismissed as being rubbish. It has got on my nerves many times, and as such i've alomst given up posting all together.
The thing is, how much validity does the 0-60 time of a car have in the real world? I mean do you hear people saying "Ooh, my car car go from traffic lights to speed limit on a 60 road in 4.5secs"? No, because its pointless.
In future why don't people quote 50-70 times, 40-60 times etc, these are much more real-world relevant.
Why do you think EVO magazine came up with their EPR (Evo Performance Rating)? It was to show exactly how a car performs in every day driving and living.
Rant over.
Beef
Old 29 July 2003, 03:33 PM
EVOVI
Scooby Regular

I have got to agree with beefola...Alot of people on here will not hear a word against the scoob but the EVO is a better car...Now before you think I am biased cause of my username I do not drive an evo anymore.I had to get a skyline which without doubt is better than both Evo and scoob(Don`t start an arguement now it is better end of story)
It is all down to personal preference and the Evo did not do it for ADP,for me I don`t like scoobs other than a P1 or 22b and never considered one when I got the Evo.
OldGreyEvoman...Don`t worry you have a cracking car and I am sure you will sell it soon but you are barking up the wrong tree on this site to get praise for it..Get it up on car forums on the net as that is how I sold mine....
Old 29 July 2003, 03:55 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

but more to the point i think we should dob in Old Grey EVO man
as not only is he clearly a masachist for doing it but isn't getting married more than once illegal without a divorce lol.
Yawn their all proper bo cars init
Si
Old 29 July 2003, 05:44 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lets compare a fully type approved 215bhp UK impreza against an EVO, no lets not. Unless you can find a fully type approved UK spec EVO . The reason UK scoobs arent as powerful is that they have to meet type approval regs which the EVO 6s dont. Thats why there are performance packs available.

An EVO is a Japanese import not a fully type approved car, so it has to be SVA-ed in this country. So compare your stock EVO6 to a stock grey import (also has to be SVA-ed) and the difference arent that great if any . EV0 6 was heavier than the comparable STI at the time and both rated at 280PS but widely known both were closer to 300PS.

Yes you can mod both there are 500+ bhp impreza kicking about now so it comes down to personal chioce.

Like I said, hope you got your flame suit ready .

If I was going to buy an EVO it would be a 6 or the TME edition
Yadda, yadda, yadda.... you should just do a reply and save it on your PC Mr P. Then all these Evo threads you reply to, you could just copy and paste for fun.

B.t.w did I mention your fiesta is nicer than your scoob?
Old 29 July 2003, 08:23 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Sold the Fiesta got a Focus now, to be swapped for an ST170 at christmas, probably .
Old 29 July 2003, 08:38 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

LOL! .... that just shows how good your taste is then!!!

Old 29 July 2003, 09:22 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Old 29 July 2003, 10:05 PM
deano
Scooby Regular

Chris P

Come out man, you know you want to....

If ever there is a closet evo owner then it is this guy
Old 29 July 2003, 10:20 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Hey, ADP's horsepower went up 10bhp in 12 posts, I'm gonna try that.
Old 30 July 2003, 06:09 AM
AFR
Scooby Regular

I've had a Scooby Sti4 and 2 Evo's (6 TME and 7) and not biased to any particular brand. My standard 6 TME was no faster than my standard STi4 but a FAR superior car to drive - handling and steering feel.

Why do folks only talk about the speed???? There's a bit more to what makes a good car great than that.
Old 30 July 2003, 01:30 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

LOL, I keep saying "I do like EVOs""I do like EVOs""I do like EVOs""I do like EVOs""I do like EVOs""I do like EVOs""I do like EVOs""I do like EVOs""I do like EVOs".

I just happended to have brought a pretty quick scoob which is enough for me and I am happy with. It done 9,000 miles so hardly run in yet and the Focus does all the boring leg work driving. When it comes round to let the scoob go I will do the rounds and have a play in: EVOs, TVRs, Porkers, may even take an M3 for a spin.

If I do decide to buy an EVO I will be as passionate and brand loyal as the rest of the EVO owners are . I reckon I still wont get an invite to the Christmas party though .