Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MK1 Golf GTi.....cant select first gear :(

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2003, 06:46 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as title, got a mk1 golf gti. its a y-reg 83 model. as far as i was told by the previous owner, the gearbox is from a mk2 golf, an 8v gti.
however, been out in it today pottering around. then got in it about an hour later and cannot get first gear whatsoever!
its as though the 'gate' slot for first is no longer there, you cannot get the lever to go there at all, so im having to drive off in 2nd gear

anybody had one....any ideas?

ps...also need an exhaust system for same car, its got a 1.8i engine, non standard one preferably

thanks
ian
Old 20 July 2003, 07:10 PM
bigjohn
Scooby Regular

this happens quite a lot with my 92 cabriolet ( MK1 body shape ) untill the engine is warmed up , never investigated just accepted as one of the little quirks of the car
Old 20 July 2003, 07:26 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Check the gearlever linkage and if i was you,change all the bushes and realign the lever.

Well worth it especially as the bits are now 20 yrs old.
Old 20 July 2003, 09:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dead cheap to remedy, try VW for the bush kit but involves an hour or so on yer back changing nylon ball joint elbow type things and aligning, sometimes the gearleaver can come out of alignment with the box as well, even if the box is *****d they are dead cheap and an easy swap, MK2 box to Mk 1 can be a pain even though they are essentially the same, the mk2 had bigger drive flanges that have to be swapped for the MK1 ones. 100 quid gets you a s/h box if required but suspect the linkage is knackered, did the job on both the MK1's I owned and it improved matters no end and the only non selection problem I had was when I put a MK2 box in and didnt align the gear leaver properly, sounds like yours is marginal or loose.

Good Luck, great cars.
Old 20 July 2003, 10:15 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

thanks guys

ive driven it home tonight, and no prbs getting into first gear now however, as i got closer to home, there was one point where it needed a second go on the lever to select 2nd gear!

as you say, the linkage could be the suspect, it flops all over the place lol
ive only had it on the road about 2 weeks now, and have been meaning to find out about new bushes etc, but work lots of hours and just forgot about it really. will do it asap and hopefully things should be sorted.

thanks again for the help guys
ian
Old 21 July 2003, 02:30 AM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Smile

Try these for info - www.clubgti.com / www.geocities.com / www.tsr-performance.com

I replaced the bushes and relay lever with the standard VW parts then replaced the rods (linkage) with a TSR (Tim Styles Racing)adjustable rod kit - not perfect but a definite improvement.

Are your engine and gearbox mountings OK ? If not then this may be a contributory factor.

As for an exhaust - I use a four into one tubular manifold with a Supersprint system (all from TSR in Bridgewater.

Cheers

[Edited by jamesa - 7/21/2003 4:41:26 AM]
Old 21 July 2003, 09:28 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

thanks for the links mate will have a look in a min. yeah engine and box mountings are fine, quite solid actually. i had heard somewhere else a mention of the supersprint system too.

will let you know how i get on, cheers
ian