Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

RAV4 (5dr)

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2003, 02:31 PM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone experience of these little motors ?
Press seems to rave about them constantly and came up trumps in the JD Power survey too.
Petrol or diesel preferences ?

Old 08 July 2003, 03:34 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

my wife has a my03 2.0vx, superb car in everyway, very roomy, very smooth with not too much body roll, bit thirsty on fuel but returns on average 26mpg(according to display(petrol)), interior is nice with leathers but the rest of the bottom half of dash is grey and seats are black so it doesnt really match but thats the only hate i have with the car, great stereo and the first service is at 20k now thats great, imho its ten times better looking than the freelander and i didnt even bother checking out the grandad honda crv as i think they look awefull, test drove a diesel and it sounded like a bag of nails so we decided against it

hope this helps you

mike
Old 08 July 2003, 06:58 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got my new 5-door D4-D with all toys, including alcantara/leather interior in same colours as my old Scoob Terzo, which lightens the interior no end. Otherwise typical Jap interior, basic and not very well thought-out storage.

Drove it for 600km this weekend, a bit noisy at 90mph and doesn't really want to go over 100mph except down a long hill with a following wind. Some corners on our 2-lane highways were feeling a bit tight for my liking at 90mph. Economy seems OK but I'm not measuring it.

I also got the reverse sensor which is brilliant when it works (1 sensor on each corner doesn't "see" objects in the centre - to be sorted after an argument with Toyota, I believe, as I said they misled me when selling it). Just saved me reversing into a metal pole yesterday which was right in my blind spot!

Teenage son loves the way the rear seats recline. I love the way they come out and I could get a big table in the back. Not quite sure how much space is really in the boot, if we drive to UK this August we'll find out!

I'm happy as I wanted a car big enough for long journeys, small enough for Lisbon streets, and not rolling round like the crappy 4Runner jeep I drove in America. And now I'm supposed to get a Caterham to satisfy my speed instincts. If I don't, Toyota will do the engine upgrade to 150cv for 1070 euros, 5-yr warranty intact. Can't say I feel I need it at the moment, 116cv doesn't reflect the amount of torque available, it certainly feels punchy.

Good luck
Brendan
Old 07 August 2003, 04:16 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

I have a 5DR VX D4D. Car is excellent, returns 39mpg combined but the quality of the black paint finish is beyong belief. I have heard (since buying) that the paint finish on Toyota's is generally bad. Tried to reject the car but the dealer told me to take him to court if I want a replacement or a refund. The court fees would have not been woth the hassle. Avoid Tollhouse Toyota in Gatwick as they are a rude bunch of muppets.

Just to add the D4D is a bit noisy on tick over and when cold but once moving it is no noiser than the petrol plus you have the benefit of huge Torque figures. Toyota development (TTE) similar to prodrive do an ECU upgrade which increases BHP to 150 and torque to 300 nm.

[Edited by Scooby-Doo - 7/8/2003 4:20:19 PM]