Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Keep the 20V ur quattro or buy a new M3 coupe????????

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2003, 10:10 PM
timalloys67
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys and girls,
wanted to ask for some input as to my current dilemna (sp). I current have a lovely audi ur-quattro 20v turbo which has been my pride and joy. Since having a test drive in a 330d sport I asked the sales manager if he had an M3 demo on the forecourt to which he replied "yes". This is where it all starts to go downhill. The car was simply superb..........I'm now in the position that I cannot decide whether to stump up the 40 odd grand for one of these beasts or keep the beast I have at the moment and pocket the cash................opinions please.........-)-)-)
Old 07 June 2003, 10:30 PM
fastka
Scooby Regular

keep the quattro!

was sick as f*ck when i got rid of mine and good ones are very hard to find!!!
Old 09 June 2003, 09:25 AM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Definately keep the Quattro...

Top cars..love the sound !
Old 09 June 2003, 09:36 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

One of the greatest motoring icons of all time. Or, a reps wet dream that will lose half of its original value over the next 3 years?

Hmmm, bit of a no-brainer me thinks

BTW where I live M3's are ten a penny, more people will notice & appreciate the quattro
Old 09 June 2003, 11:52 AM
fastka
Scooby Regular

forgot to mention that it was and probably will always be, the best car that i have ever driven.

i sold mine when i had forgotten how good it was.
there was a trip back from Ireland, going for it thru' Scotland from the ferry in the dark and it had started raining....
a small, tight roundabout had sneaked up on me and before i knew it, i was hitting it at 110...

a blur of roadsigns and street lights then i was exiting on the right road at 100!
hadn't dared touch the brakes due to the wet and speed so just swung her thru' and used a little throttle

she held on with no problems and all the way back to Peterborough, i thanked myself that i was in a quattro

another car and i might not have made it

but then, years later, the divorce monster came along trying to gobble up everything in its path so i sold it for peanuts to stop the bitch getting it!!!
Old 09 June 2003, 12:11 PM
audinut
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Keep the Ur and spend 20 grand on a 2nd hand 330i for day to day use.
Latest M3 is a great car, but the 20V Ur is an all time icon. Best car I ever owned. If youve got a nice one you'll have major regrets later if you sell it.
Old 09 June 2003, 12:55 PM
cucumber
Scooby Regular

Definately keep the Ur quattro, its an all time classic, landmark car. The scoobies and evos of this world probably wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the Ur quattro.

The M3 is a modern day, capable, high performance car, but there are various marques which offer something of a similar type if you want a newer performance car. I'm not knocking the M3 its just that your pitting against a bit of a legend!

If your doing big mileages keep the quattro and buy a decent repmobile to do the mundane bits.
Old 09 June 2003, 01:23 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

What's the value of the quattro, and of a s/h M3 rather than a new one (say, 2-3yrs old)?

If they add up to less than 40k, you could have your cake AND eat it!
Old 09 June 2003, 01:59 PM
M3 Evo
Scooby Regular

Go for the M3!

Not knocking the Ur at all, its one of my favourite all time cars but times have moved on and the M3 runs rings around it in every single area!

I can understand posts saying you'd miss the audi but the M3 is in another league alltogether and you wouldn't regret it. In the end whatever you decide to do you cannot possibly lose as they are both cars ahead of their time and i'm sure the E46 M3 will attain iconic status like the audi has in years to come!

You miss the ur if you went for something more mundane but not an if you swapped to an M3!
Old 09 June 2003, 02:00 PM
M3 Evo
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Ah sod it - just swop your quattro for a sport one and pocket the change!!!
Old 09 June 2003, 03:52 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

KEEP THE AUDI!!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 09 June 2003, 04:07 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Thumbs up

Keep the UrQuattro-classier by far than the M3.

One car is an icon that popularised the 4x4 performance car (I know Jensen did one yrs before but it was hardly a success).

Who cares if a jazzed up 3 series is faster?- at least you will look cool driving the Quatrro.
Old 09 June 2003, 05:15 PM
AbnormalAnimal
Scooby Regular

Sell me the quattro, I'm looking for one at the minute

hotrod@sxoc.com
Old 09 June 2003, 05:21 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

Definately keep the Quattro
Old 09 June 2003, 06:35 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Which audi quattro are we talking about?

The H reg one?Or a newer one?Or the older ones...kinda confused as I can't think of any quattro which comapres with the new m3.....
Old 09 June 2003, 07:04 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Animal - there's one in Autotrader for £5250 described as a concours winner in May this year. I've mailed the guy for more details. I'm undecided as yet, I could spend a lot more on a car but don't have to. Are they any good to drive compared with more modern stuff, not sure about thrashing an old 120,000 mile car.
Old 09 June 2003, 07:55 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Question

Does anyone remember a top gear segment with Tiff driving an UrQuattro and VBH (I think) driving an Evo (poss Impreza)?

VBH won their little race but not by much, for an old design the quattro did good.
Old 10 June 2003, 09:57 PM
AbnormalAnimal
Scooby Regular

Animal - there's one in Autotrader for £5250 described as a concours winner in May this year. I've mailed the guy for more details. I'm undecided as yet, I could spend a lot more on a car but don't have to. Are they any good to drive compared with more modern stuff, not sure about thrashing an old 120,000 mile car.
Seen it cheers, want one with lower miles ideally as I would be using it everday, mate's got a 20V with 30k miles on it, its amazing, he's been offered £17k for it but will not part with it ever.

I still reckon they are as good if not better to drive than some of the more modern turbo 4wd's and you get the 5 cylinder warble which sounds great through a big exhaust.

I've always wanted one, seen 20V's for £12-£15k, and they don't seem to depreciate at all any more, seems pretty good value to me, plus they are a lot less common than some cars out there
Old 11 June 2003, 08:58 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Keep the UR.

M3 goes past I don't blink an eyelid.

UR Quattro goes past and it's wow! (and hear it!)
Old 11 June 2003, 09:26 AM
ScoobyKev
Scooby Regular

"but then, years later, the divorce monster came along trying to gobble up everything in its path so i sold it for peanuts to stop the bitch getting it!!! " LMFAO heheheh never heard of a divorce monster before.

Keep it.

Regards

Kev
Old 11 June 2003, 11:11 PM
fastka
Scooby Regular

the divorce monster is a hungry *******!

hope you don't meet it!!!

this thread has turned me around to scoobynet

at last we have some real petrolheads making and giving the right advice.

i totally understand about the 'thread starter' asking about selling his ur but the majority of posts are pointing him in the right direction

it is a classic and will always get respect
and it deserves it.

at worst, put it away as a weekend car and get something else to run about in thru' the week

somebody before me summed it up...

a bm goes by,....yeah?, so what?

a quattro burbles by....everybody notices!!!
Old 13 June 2003, 08:10 PM
jl123
Scooby Regular

Dear all,

I cannot any longer remember just how many times I've read or spoken to laymen and experts alike who have uttered words like Fastka did...

"there was a trip back from Ireland, going for it thru' Scotland from the ferry in the dark and it had started raining....
a small, tight roundabout had sneaked up on me and before i knew it, i was hitting it at 110...

a blur of roadsigns and street lights then i was exiting on the right road at 100!
hadn't dared touch the brakes due to the wet and speed so just swung her thru' and used a little throttle

she held on with no problems and all the way back to Peterborough, i thanked myself that i was in a quattro

another car and i might not have made it"

To be honest I believe what all these drivers say, but I don't get it! Everytime I ask an expert I get one of two responces:

1. 'The urQ is old, its good but its been passed by the Japanese. Yes it is stable but truly all it will give you is too much understeer at the limit which is not as safe a the more neutral or slightly oversteering (adjustable) nature of properly set-up Evo's and Impreza's.'

or...

2. 'the Q is one of a kind. It has the most special weight-distribution which when coupled to the new torsen diff allows it to self-center itself, its heavy front end gripping the road better than all others when the conditions turn poor.'

Even John Barker and friends back when they were at Performance Car compared to Q to the Impreza and company and found the same, calling the Q, not the fastest or most nimble but the most reassuring of the whole group.

It would seem to me that whatever the h@#l the Q does or however it does it should be examined a lot closer, because at least for use in poor conditions, the car seems to be able to more safely travel from a to b than Impreza's and Evo's. It certainly would be interesting to hear from those owners that have driven both in poor conditions?

I still don't know why someone cannot do another comparison test? Thanks
Old 18 June 2003, 03:51 PM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Wink

Get the Beemer, then change it when the ashtray is full like you do with all ur other cars

The Ur is an old banger thats 10 different shades of red anyway

Old 18 June 2003, 07:04 PM
Phil M
Scooby Regular

If its your only car do for the M3.. But if you need 2 cars keep the Audi and get a 330d aswel.
Old 20 June 2003, 11:56 AM
timalloys67
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Hi all, thanks for the many replies.........just to update you al, I've decided to keep ur and shun the M3 for now...........
dougie, stop being so boring
Old 20 June 2003, 12:09 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Good choice ! You know it makes sense !!!
Old 20 June 2003, 12:29 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I always remember by urQ *feeling* much more solid on the road.
Old 20 June 2003, 01:09 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thank God - sense has prevailed.

As others have said the urQ is a classic, an icon and still a very capable car. The M3 is a 3 series BMW - enough said.

Now I want you to try and get help for even having the idea and asking the question in the first place.

As for the M3 becoming a similar classic - not in million years. For me a classic has to be strikingly beautiful, advance motoring on in some way or achieve something in motorsport - the BMW misses on all of these criteria.

Unless of course we redefine overpricing as moving motoring on in some way ;-)

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 20 June 2003, 04:22 PM
Nick_TypeUK
Scooby Regular

Get both

the ur20v is a fanatastic car and a true piece of motoring history (without it there probably would have been no 4wd scoobys and evos) its so good Audi continue to milks its heratige on there totally naff modern budget 4wd quattro system. However things have moved on ALOT and the M3 is one serious bit of kit with superb finish inside and out.

or even better keep the ur20v and get a second hand M5

[Edited by Nick_TypeUK - 20/06/2003 16:24:35]
Old 23 June 2003, 11:51 PM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cant help meself Kev, if the cap fits.....
Spoke to big Moyesy, he told me you went all swedish and got another OVLOV.
Ah well, money cant buy taste I suppose

Catch up with you soon ya banger

Dougie

Ps hows the STD? did the cream work?

Quick Reply: Keep the 20V ur quattro or buy a new M3 coupe????????