Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

VX220, hmmmmm

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2003, 09:36 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Not too slow these things Had the good forture of a wee play along some dualled road last night and the Vauxhall put in a good shift It had just started raining so I waited till he got up to 40mph before he (and subsequently I) nailed it. This was useful as it eliminated my advantage so we could compare the real world performance of both cars. From 40-80 it was pretty even-stevens but then the extra bhp made itself known and I passed. Nevertheless these things could potentially ease away from a standard scooby in certain speed ranges. Moreover, it seemed to keep up very slightly better than the MKII elise I played with a few months ago under similar circumstances.

All good fun and there is no real point to the post other than to outline the comparison - conslusion:

0-30 scooby is faster
30-80 about the same
80+ scooby is faster
Carrying 5 people in comfort, scooby is better

Should the VX driver drift on here: Thanks for the run mate and for conducting yourself safely
Old 06 June 2003, 09:39 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Carrying 5 people in comfort
comfort????????????? LOL

BB
Old 06 June 2003, 09:52 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

I take it this wasn't the turbo version as these things are quicker than most slightly modified scoobs.

Chris
Old 06 June 2003, 09:56 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Don't think so, the turbo version has VX220 Turbo written on the back does it not. This didn't. Also, if it was the turbo I'd have been dust would I not? I didn't even know they were out yet actually!
Old 06 June 2003, 09:57 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Wink

BB, may I offer the word 'relative'
Old 06 June 2003, 10:01 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Red face

I take it this wasn't the turbo version as these things are quicker than most slightly modified scoobs
Substitute the word most for all.

250 bhp and weight less than 1000kg, and 2WD!!!!
Old 06 June 2003, 10:52 AM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

Apparently they are bringing out a supercharged vx220 next.....
Old 06 June 2003, 10:57 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

They've already gone the turbocharged route so any supercharger solution will be third party IMHO.
C
Old 06 June 2003, 12:01 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Horses for courses really.

The Turbo VX is a bit soft/lardy, the N/A VX is very similar to a std. Elise.

As far as driver enjoyment on twisty backroads in sunny weather, not much can beat an Elise/VX

Old 06 June 2003, 12:34 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Red face

0-62mph: 4.7 seconds....
Maximum speed: 151mph....
Economy: 43.6mpg extra urban, 33.3mpg combined
Holly sh*tballs!!! How unfair are those performance V fuel stats
Old 06 June 2003, 03:27 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Having had an S2 for a month now, its all about the driver, on twisties espeacily if its wet, there is little to no difference in speed between a std VX and standard S2 IMHO, I prefer the S2, but really it is horses for courses. The VX220 I found a bit lardy, but good power, I really can't stand the look of the VX hence why I drive a 125BHP Elise and not a Turbo'd VX.
Old 06 June 2003, 04:00 PM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, there's an equation for working this sum out, see below!

LOT OF POWER + RWD + WET = FINDING OUT THE COLOUR OF FEAR!!!

Cheers

Dan
Old 06 June 2003, 07:43 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

LOT OF POWER + RWD + WET = FINDING OUT THE COLOUR OF FEAR!!!

I suppose you already found out......

What's with you lot?
Why a car has to be 4wd to be good?
I find most of the 4wd cars boring, the things just go wherever you want them to go. I can't see a challenge in that.

What's the point on having a car that cannot surprise you?

Old 06 June 2003, 07:53 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

250 bhp and weight less than 1000kg, and 2WD
News to me. Standard VX Turbo has ~197bhp, which is still plenty. You'd need at least >250bhp in a classic or >275bhp in a bugeye to match the power-weight ratio, and over 300 to beat one, I suspect.

There has been talk of bringing out a 250bhp sprint version of the VXT, but I'm not aware that they've done so yet. One of the development engineers did comment that a reliable 310bhp is comfortable from that engine. That would give all bar the quickest scoobs a thrashing.
Old 06 June 2003, 07:58 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I find most of the 4wd cars boring, the things just go wherever you want them to go. I can't see a challenge in that.
If only it were that simple! To drive a fwd fast is easy, to drive it REALLY fast is a serious challenge! I had my back end coming out under power in the scortching hot dry today in a UK turbo - the fun is there to be had if you want/are crazy enough for it cackle
Old 06 June 2003, 08:02 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah, I wonder why I thought it was 250bhp?

Never mind.
Old 06 June 2003, 08:19 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Calling DaveT-S whats your opinion??
Old 06 June 2003, 09:04 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

I gave up my STi Type UK PPP a month ago, and bought a VX Turbo.

I was at Bedford today, using PalmerSports' cars, and (having driven my Imprezas there in the past) I was staggered at the sheer cornering and braking ability of the VXT.

All they do for track use is fit different brake pads, they are even on their standard Bridgestone RE040 road tyres, and the poor little things have stood up to being hammered to death six days a week for the last three months with no real problems

My second session was in the pouring rain, and as the instructors push you faster and faster I spun it about five times in one session looking for its limits (and finding them )

In the dry they will murder most Imprezas, and possibly in the wet on track too

Theere is no science to it, fire it flat out at every corner, stand on the brake pedal at way past the marker board, and turn in - at 930kg it will stand sudden direction changes - and having the engine over the back wheels you can get back on the gas at the apex. Despite the way Vauxhall got Lotus to set them up (safe understeer due to the bicycle wheels at the front) you can make it oversteer much of the time on track

I have no axe to grind on this, been there done that with the Impreza, but the VXT is 540kg lighter than the STi and it shows in its cornering agility.

As a road car it is seriously quick cross country. VXT performance in a straight line at 4.7 0-60 and 12.6 0-100 is virtually identical to the STi PPP.

Apart from the car mags all raving about the VXT, if you want to see how good it is go to the Lotus forums and see the sour grapes at the press comments that it is the Lotus that Lotus should have built for themselves, not for Vauxhall

A well loosened up NA VX is a very good car in its own right too, but the Turbo has the real grunt

PS - I made the right decision, I wouldn't now give up the VXT for the STi PPP

IMHO - the VX isn't for everyone

[Edited by Dave T-S - 6/6/2003 9:30:14 PM]
Old 06 June 2003, 11:40 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Wink

Apart from the car mags all raving about the VXT, if you want to see how good it is go to the Lotus forums and see the sour grapes at the press comments that it is the Lotus that Lotus should have built for themselves, not for Vauxhall
I havent seen much sour grapes, but mixed feelings some wish the Elise had a more affordable power unit, some like it, some don't, me for one turned one down for a lesser powered Elise.

As I found the VX lardy, I find the VXT even lardier and you only notice it in tight corners. The S2 weighs in 200 kilos lighter, which means less wear on the brakes, tyres, fuel consumption which is good for me. Lose some weight and it will be the even better.

Don't get me wrong it is a fantastic car, but the day I spend that sort of money on a car which IMHO is ugly, its time to hang up my driving shoes
Old 06 June 2003, 11:41 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

PS - I love RWD, and never going back. FWD is well dull, as is 4X4 in comparison, never ever had as many smiles.

ABS, PAS, who needs them
Old 07 June 2003, 02:27 AM
Sicey
Scooby Regular

I am lucky to have both the VX and a WRX, they are both great cars and go about getting from A to B in different manners.
The trouble with the Scooby is it numbs out whats going on below compared to the VX where you can feel exactly whats going on, plus its more fun at lower speeds.
Plus with the temperature hitting late 20's out here in DE at the moment you know what car I am driving at the moment .
I have even been chugging down the autobahns at 4am this week after finishing nightshift and cant deny its great having the VX out here for the summer.
I am off to Issoire next weekend in the VX to meet up with the French scooby club for some weekend track fun.
Oh that reminds me I must get my summer tyres for the Scoob soon, got a nice little family trip planned to Italy next month, god its a hard life.

John.