Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

EVO 8 - have the journalist actually driven it?

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2003, 11:14 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Ive now sampled the delights of two EVO8 FQ's. The Golf R32 is sold, and I need new wheels. Well Ive had 7 scoobies, but no EVO's. Read all the BBS's etc. Nagging doubt that I must be missing something.

Looks

I actually prefer the look of the EVO over a Scooby. Looks great in black IMHO.

Interior

I'm sorry, but did poundstretchers design the interior. The plastic on my pot noodles have more quality.

Driving

Jonathan - its not how they look, its how they go dont you know anything OK lets give it a burn.

The ECU code must of been written by my 4 year old. One minute she was paying attention, the next a packet of sweets was on the agenda. Its 2003, my dads Triumph 2002Ti had better behaviour in the 70's.

There must be a secret in the right foot. It has to be the least smooth car Ive ever driven. I bunny hopped, tested out the reaction of the seatbelts to sudden movement whilst trying to drive it smoothly. Surely this car isnt ready for Human consumption - EVO the first case of BSE

It must feel quick when you floor it. Have to say it wasnt stunning. Good but not something to get excited over. The STI was certainly a match IMHO and that was without PPP. The EVO did have abit better low down response though.

RIDE

Ive been in a Force 11 between the Falkland and South Georgia that was smoother than the EVO. You certainly had to back off a bit in the EVO where the STI you could keep your foot planted. Maybe journalist need to drive the car in a real enviroment, not North Wales. Come down to sunny south bucks and sample the B roads.

Conclusion

The EVO is NOT a real world everyday car for average humans. If you like it rougher than Jo Brand maybe, but this has to be a weekend fling. Looks great, but where I live its not upto the roads in Bucks. Shame, I was hoping to add an EVO to the list.

Jonathan

Who hasnt bought a Scooby either
Old 06 June 2003, 08:50 AM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

This is dissapointing

I have a test drive booked for next week. I have no doubt that the evo is a more focussed car than the sti but I did have a nggling doubt in the back of my mind that it might be too much.

Oh well, going to have a go anyway, never driven an evo.

Matt
Old 06 June 2003, 09:14 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Thumbs up

I had a passenger ride in the FQ version and I thought it was an awesome fast car and the ride while being firm was no worse than an Impreza on Leda's.

I like them.
Old 06 June 2003, 09:16 AM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sorry to hear that the EVO doesn't live up to expectations but that review has to be one of the funniest posts I've read all year. Great stuff!
Old 06 June 2003, 09:16 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

If you think that has firm suspension, you should try a 964rs!! A rugby scrum sitting on the wing would not move it!
Old 06 June 2003, 10:22 AM
blip
Scooby Regular

Chins - what was your opinion of the R32?
Old 06 June 2003, 10:46 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

What's left to get Chinman? The Motorexpo is at Canary Wharf this week and it's pretty depressing. Apart from £50k+ exotica there's not much interesting here. To be honest the new Saab 9-3 Cabrio is the sexiest looking sub-£30k motor here, but thats not out till September..who wants to buy a cabrio in Sept?
Evo6 was the last Evo I drove and it was a very good car..but not as 'exciting' as mine, and an even more horrible interior, so I didn't swap. The 8FQ isn't supposed to be as radically impressive as the previous FQ's (compared to the standard model) so maybe you'd want to try a standard Evo8 to see if it's just poor mapping on the FQ.
How about a rapid-depreciating classic the Alfa 147GTA? Looks damn sexy IMHO..but....Italian?
Methinks you want a Works CooperS..the 200bhp one...gotta try it at least.
Chuck
Old 06 June 2003, 01:45 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
He got bored with his wife's Cooper S quickly enough...

Jonathon, are you limited to saloons? Not tempted by silly toys like bike-engined Caterfields, or VX220 Turbos? And I don't remember if you've had a Skyline yet?
Old 06 June 2003, 02:10 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

It's funny you should say that about the ECU mapping.. I had a kangerooing moment in a 6 but put it down to being a spaz
Old 06 June 2003, 05:49 PM
Colonel Mullet
Scooby Regular

Kangarooing in a 6 is 'cos you ARE a spaz.

Seriously - nothing wrong with the mapping on a standard 6.

But...the 8 FQ may be a different story - there is definitely at least one 'duff' 8FQ about, because people on the MLR have driven it and said pretty much the same thing. Others seem to be fine.

P.S. There's a 400bhp+ VII for sale on the MLR (unless MOSI's changed his mind again) which you could get for around the same money as an 8FQ. And you wouldn't get those terribly gay Lexus-style rear lights either...
Old 06 June 2003, 08:52 PM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

Wink

jonathan
if you wanna try a proper evo, give me a bell sometime.a standard evo is 'underwhelming', and the interior is not what you buy the car for as you know. but with a few 'tweaks' here and there....
Old 07 June 2003, 01:07 AM
*TopCat*
Scooby Regular

Many other factors also, what was the milage on the car you drove? they only start using fully synth oil after 4.5k miles..

Quite right there is a duff one around that has been moaned about on the MLR..

I dont know the b road's that well in your area, but this car has proved it self on track..can you drive

I was not sure about the lights also, but changed my mind when I saw this car is the flesh, then again the car was black may be the rear lights suit it better. In gen I think this car looks better in the flesh.

M

Old 07 June 2003, 04:52 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

My biggest beef with the car was the driveability and ride. As I posted, Ive driven two FQ's, one with a few thousand on, and the other being run in. BOTH displayed the same levels of jerkiness.

Driving rough A roads and B roads most of the time, I have to kick the EVO off my list of desires. In the STI I kept my foot planted, and in the EVO backed off. I'm sure that on a smooth track, the EVO would be king, but its two years since my last track day.

I am now full of admiration for any owner that lives in my neck of the woods that uses their car everyday. In fact if they ran for PM they would get my vote.

What next ?

If I could get a 147GTA I would, but they are rarer than Ferrari Enzo's. I actually think they will do quite well value wise. The 156GTA seems to be holding up well and that had poor reviews.

As mentioned, done the Cooper S. The credit card seems to be staying put when I drive the Scoobies as well. Seeing my asset depreciate faster than my pension fund takes away some of the appeal. The STI 8 will do a 7 fall as soon as IM announce the 9 with either the current Jap spec engine or 2.5. Jap car owners are very label consious.

Due to being in Telecoms, I cant afford what I would really like. A VX220 Turbo and R32. As I type this, another Golf R32 is looking good. Since its gone Ive found nothing to replace it. I they say you only appreciate somethings when they are gone. In fact I should be asleep, rather than waking up in a sweat worrying about the next ride.

Jonathan
Old 07 June 2003, 10:34 AM
Colonel Mullet
Scooby Regular

From what you're saying, it would seem that what you want from a car was never going to be met by an Evo, even one that drove properly. You're right that the journalists overhype all the Evos and there is plenty of evidence emerging that there are 8FQs about which just don't work properly.

However, it has to be said that nobody serious about an Evo would also be thinking about a Golf R32 or Alfa GTA - these cars are world apart, as you've now discovered.

Don't get me wrong - I am NOT saying the Evo is somehow 'superior' to either, just that it is so different I can't work out why people would be considering them alongside each other.

On a slight tangent, if you were thinking of spending new 8FQ money, you're not that far off used 993 money, surely? Or have you been there and done that already...
Old 07 June 2003, 06:13 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Cool

With an Sti PPP on order I tested an Evo8FQ

Ok no stereo and the dash is crap. Servicing at4.5k is not good and the clutch isn't covered under warrenty

But to drive WOW the salesmen demonstrated the Active YAW round a roundabout 6 times with now understeer at all

Sticking with the scooby but will defo be looking at the Colt EVO when it comes time to change the Sti

Phil
Old 08 June 2003, 08:23 AM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

instead of spending loads on two cars, what about stretching to an rs6? i seem to remember you like your audis. i must admit, if and when the rumoured new rs4 with v8 and twin turbos appears, i will be well interested.
slightly off tangent, but how did you find the m3? at the mo i have my monster E6 and an e36 328 coupe which i adore, but want to go down to one car eventually, and was thinking about an m3 with smg ( i cant get on with manual bmws coz i find the peddles way too offset). your opinion on the m3 would be greatly appreciated
Old 12 June 2003, 06:05 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

From what you're saying, it would seem that what you want from a car was never going to be met by an Evo, even one that drove properly. You're right that the journalists overhype all the Evos and there is plenty of evidence emerging that there are 8FQs about which just don't work properly.

However, it has to be said that nobody serious about an Evo would also be thinking about a Golf R32 or Alfa GTA - these cars are world apart, as you've now discovered.
After selling the R32, I drew up a shortlist. I'm not sure that there are not other people like me. I tend to go Rice Machine, German Machine etc etc. The STI 8 would be my 8th, so I must like the rice machines . The EVO has a lot going for it, but ultimately is just too raw for everyday use. Good for the weekend, but at that price the VX220 Turbo would win my vote.

If the EVO came better equiped as std, had a well behaved engine and could ride B roads like the STI, then it would be close to getting my money. Ive been looking at all 20-29k cars and none of them are getting me excited. Some I like, but they are at the end of their model life. The Japs just update their models too quickly and as they tend to be a fashion item, you can get left with a model no one wants. EVO VII and STI 7. I can already see the EVO 9 and Jap spec or US spec STI for us in the UK late this early next years.

instead of spending loads on two cars, what about stretching to an rs6? i seem to remember you like your audis. i must admit, if and when the rumoured new rs4 with v8 and twin turbos appears, i will be well interested.
slightly off tangent, but how did you find the m3? at the mo i have my monster E6 and an e36 328 coupe which i adore, but want to go down to one car eventually, and was thinking about an m3 with smg ( i cant get on with manual bmws coz i find the peddles way too offset). your opinion on the m3 would be greatly appreciated
Spudgun. If I could stretch to an RS6 and didnt think it would depreciate faster than my beer fridge with 12 guys round, then I would consider it. These babys are proving hard to shift.

The only car that is really getting the pulse racing is infact another M3. I'm trying to see if working in Telecoms on no commision and running another one of these is possible . The SMG gearbox is good. For a lot of input go to www.bm3w.co.uk

Jonathan
Old 13 June 2003, 03:09 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi Jonathan,

I tried an Evo 8 FQ 300 upo in Sheffield the other day. Yes, I noticed that, compared to my standard WRX MY02, the on/off action of the throttle was a little jerky, but it was something that I soon found myself adjusting to. Given your history of interesting metal, I'm sure that it was a poor example of an Evo that you drove, as opposed to your driving style... Maybe try a different dealer's demo.

On the ride - it's certaily a lot firmer that a standard WRX and, for that matter, an STi. But, once you're out of the 30 limit and onto some serious cross-country roads, it flows along beautifully.

In fact, the ride at 70-ish seems similar to the WRX at about 40.

Have to be honest, apart from the somewhat anodyne exhaust note, I loved it to bits!

Cheers, HB.
Old 13 June 2003, 09:14 PM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

"Triumph 2002Ti"

Triumph 2000 or BMW 2002Ti (or the ******* offspring of some unholy union...???).
Old 13 June 2003, 10:51 PM
slasha
Scooby Regular

Chins,
get yourself a 350Z mate. Best V6 engine in the world and flog it for atleast what you paid for it a year or so later. Mine arrives 1st October.
Old 14 June 2003, 02:52 PM
evoviifan
Scooby Regular

I love scoobs so dont think I am on a crusade to convert you to evos...just adding my honest view...

Having had an evo VII FQ300 for 7 months now as my every day car I cannot understand how you can drive an VIII FQ and hate it. I Have driven the VIII FQ and it felt the same as the VII FQ, to me...And that is a good thing

I am obviously biased due to my evo ownership but I think the car rocks in every way.

The ride is firm but more than acceptable, and everyone that has been in my car has agreed. There is no jerkyness...flooring it through the gears, the car is so smooth. I have done 8000 miles in the car and it has never missed a beat and has been a pleasure to drive/own.

305bhp is more than enough for road use, and it has 300 lb ft of torque to play with, which is excellent for a standard car.

The car is easy to drive and I would say (if you can afford it) there is no reason not to have it is your everyday car.

The VIII you drove must have been faulty...so dont write the whole evo thing off...mine rocks.

Then again, we can't all like the same things...it would be boring if we did...maybe evos just aren't your bag?
Old 15 June 2003, 11:03 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Totally agree with evoviifan

Ive had my evo vii FQ300 for about 7-8 months now aswel and love it to bits. It has little competition on the roads and is just brilliant in everyway.

Might be chopping it in for an evo viii soon and spend money on some serious mods, then it will be an absolute ballistic missile.