Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2003, 01:00 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About 3 weeks ago I bought a new Mini Cooper have had the following problem...

Over the past couple of days I have noticed a small knocking noise coming from the passenger side front wheel area. Also I have noticed since owning the car, it pulls quite badly to the left. Last night on the journey home the noise became worse and worse, so I rang the dealer to arrange for it to be booked in.

The noise became a little more consistent so I pulled over to have a look.

Whilst looking and scratching my head, then looking again. I had a quick look at the wheel itself, and then the bolts. It turns out 3 of my bolts were loose to the point of being able to spin them with my fingers

Obviously I tightened the bolts straight away and they appear to be fine now.

But after thinking carefully on how this had happened - had some scally tried to half-inch my wheels? I realised that one of the loose bolts was the locking wheel nut. Meaning that either:

1/ the thread on the bolts is knackered, or the hub is bummed.

2/ the wheels weren't correctly tightened at the dealer.

The fact that the car no longer pulls to the left after tightening the bolts suggests to me that it is the dealer who has not correctly checked the car before releasing it.

I'm a little peaved at this to say the least as its pretty dangerous to be driving round with a wheel secured by only one bolt.

As yet I have not contacted my dealer to let them know that I have solved the problem, as I am still assesing my options.

Should I:

* Go ape and demand an explanation. (Not really my style but I am annoyed)

* Let them know about the problem and the solution and just leave it. (Seems a shame as they might not pay any attention and let it happen again in the future and someones wheel might fall off)

* Just be thankful I found out what the problem was before I blasted it round some country roads this weekend. (My most likely course of action so far)

* Fester in my own rage (I just added this last one because I like the word fester)

Anyway what would you do?

Old 30 May 2003, 01:33 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

i would formally tell the dealers (via letter) and leave it at that

BB

ps make sure the hub, bolts etc arent damaged, get them to check them all and sign of this work, so you recourse should this happen again.

regards

BB
Old 30 May 2003, 02:51 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I was thinking something along the lines of what you said. Seems the most sensible approach. I will leave the booking open for them to look at it next Thurs (courtesy car ). This should give them chance to overlook it all.