Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Pug 205 Aintree Sprint report and video

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2003, 07:06 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both myself and my brother competed yesterday at Aintree Sprint with Liverpool Motor Club as part of the Mid Cheshire Gold Cup Championship.

The course is the widest expanse of tarmac I've competed on to date. Its massive ! Very strange when compaired to somewhere like Harewood for example which in places is just a little wider than the car. One overwhelming feeling is the lack of sense of speed despite the fact that we're doing in excess of 100 MPH. The final straight is just like a runway. No sensation of speed what so ever. Just flat out. Basically this is one course where big power counts.

Its basically an old Grand Prix circuit where the like of Fango, moss and the likes used to compete many decades ago.
Inital runs where somewhat tentative as we've never competed there at all, and the car was completely different due to the new ECU mapping which had only been done the day before !

Image from Liverpool Motor Club

Off the start. Through the box flat out into 3rd. Keeping hard right and try and spot the turn in markers on the floor (white spots of paint). Apex the corner, drifting out wide again. Foot hard down and change to forth moving over left and braking lightly, changing into 3rd for the right hand village bend. Try to hit the apex and mash the throttle into the floor, tyres screeming as it drifts left. Valentines Way is flat out in 4th gear, keeping to the left hand side of the track. Maxing at about 95MPH, before wondering what the hell to do this time at Bechers Bend. It seems to be a bend with at least 2 apexes. Should I brake and change to 3rd, or keep in 4th ?? Loose my bottle and brake and change down. But its high revs in 3rd so could have probably kept in 4th

Now this bend feels bloody fast, and I change upto 4th between the apexes, then the bend slowly straightens out so its flat out now, keeping the throttle mashed in the carpet. Change to 5th down the Railway straight, this feels like a runway here. Its sooooo flat and wide. 100MPH just doesn't seem fast at all. EVEN in the wet !!!

Over the finish at 104 MPH with a time of 59.20, which I wasn't too embarassed about given that I'd never driven the circuit before and we had what felt to be a totally different car !

As usual the camcorder was fitted. 2 videos. One dry run and one wet run. Starts to feel very quick all of a sudden in the rain with the wipers on full tilt at 100 !

http://www.btinternet.com/~blackscooby/video/Aintree.rm
Dry run
http://www.btinternet.com/~blackscoo...eo/Aintreew.rm
Wet run
Right click and save as or just click ! Videos about 1.5 Mb but good quality !

Next event New Brighton Sprint 17th May.
A Closed road event around New Brighton (Liverpool)

[Edited by Blackscooby - 4/27/2003 7:09:27 PM]
Old 28 April 2003, 11:59 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up