Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Westfield

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2003, 10:56 PM
Student Phil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a post on behalf of a friend. What is the situation regarding insuring one of these? Is there any way of getting cheap insurance since the amount of use would be extremely limited? Does anyone own one, if so, who are you insured with? Also, any contact numbers would be good.

Many thanks!
Old 15 April 2003, 12:07 AM
catflap
Scooby Regular

try Adrian flux

You’ll find the insurance is much much cheaper than a Subaru, i way paying 1800 for my scoob, vs 500 for me and my girl friend.

My mate (cleaner licence lol) pays a little over 200 for his westy.

Also check out www.wscc.co.uk (its down at the mo for some reason)

Tell him get one, he wont regret it
Old 15 April 2003, 09:17 AM
Student Phil
Scooby Regular

Which model do you drive? Have you had any problems with it?
Old 15 April 2003, 10:50 AM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

I pay Ł289 for my westie vs Ł1100 for the P1, i use osbournes insurance company, very good.
By the way, the westie blows the doors off my P1
Old 15 April 2003, 11:02 AM
Student Phil
Scooby Regular

Have you a contact number for Osbournes Insurance? Also, how does the insurance work? Is it cheap becuase it is insured as a second car with limited mileage? What model is it?
Old 15 April 2003, 12:24 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

I got a quote for a 2.0 SEiW for 3000 mile a year policy. No no-claims, myself and missus as named driver.

268 quid a year, with extra 34 quid for home start and breakdown cover.

That was with Footman James.

Haven't gone with them (yet) but I think they may well get my business.

[Edited by Hanslow - 4/16/2003 10:01:05 AM]
Old 15 April 2003, 12:35 PM
Student Phil
Scooby Regular

Thats very good! Going to compile a list of numbers, then do a bit of a ring round this evening. Any other reccommendations?
Old 15 April 2003, 12:46 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Try Footman James as well. In fact, there are a load listed here http://www.surreyclub.fsnet.co.uk/insurance.htm

Good luck
Old 15 April 2003, 12:55 PM
Student Phil
Scooby Regular

Many thanks. I will pass on the info!
Old 15 April 2003, 02:55 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Talking

i have a megablade

in terms of performance its not black and white, but it will out accelerate a uk scooby quite easily, and will keep up with one that’s putting out 280BHP (first hand experience) however at higher speeds the scoobs will pull away dude to the poor areo dynamics of the Westfield and its relative low power.

In terms of handling it will (if driven right) be very rewarding against many bigger(heaver) cars, but its a learning curve, many who have owned westys and scoobs will tell you how easy it is to drive fast in a scoob, i could chuck mine into any corner and just use the right foot to throw you out, there is none of that in a westy, but get it right and it feels good and fast.

I never used my scoob to drive to work (by the time i paid for parking, it was cheaper and easer to get the bus) so it was just an after work/weekend toy, and the westy is much more of a toy than the scoob could ever be.

When me and my friends with other westies go out on weekends, its not about outright speed, its more about fun, watching some of them take corners deliberately slow, and pull off a nice big sideways tail slide all the way around in perfect control, it makes you chuckle and put a warm feeling in your gutty wuts.

Costs are also a +

Im getting around 34 to the gallon, brakes and tyres are around half of the scoob and last more than twice as long, serving costs are non existent, just change the oil yourself. People stop and point, small kids should LOOK MUM A RACING AR, I even get approving nods form baseball caped boy racers (nt sure if this is a good thing), but in my scoob all I got is people pulling lude hand jesters, and trying to race me everywhere, and boy racers jumping out at me, even insulting me in petrol stations all because I had a scoob…ooo what fun this car is, im afraid to park it, the paint falling off and its burring a hole in my pocket faster than I can say “how much fun did you say I was having?”

But just my own view, others have sold westys for scoobs, and vie versa, its whatever floats your boat
Old 15 April 2003, 07:22 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Question

hi catflap was thing my self about trading in my moded scoob for a bike engined westfield. the idea was that if i bought a westie i would`nt be able to blow Ł1000`s on modding it as it would be that much quick than my scoob. you say that a 280bhp scoob would stay with your westie, i thought that they would be a lot quick than that, not saying a 280bhp scoob is slow but thought a megabalde had power 2 weight ratio of about 300-400bhp,and that it would be more supercar performance. unlesss you compairing it to a 1800zetec car?

cheers mike
Old 15 April 2003, 07:39 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mike,

The Westie will be faster up to a point. Then the aerodynamic brick shape of the Westie kicks in and stuffs it all up

0-60 on a blade is quoted as 4.1 in standard form, the bird is quoted as 3.9 and the busa is quoted as 3.48.

That's before you get into carbon fibre territory for lightening, shedding parts you don't need and generally reducing weight. Then you can look at modding the engine to get more power. Should give you an idea of how well they do

It's when you start getting into the higher speeds that the Scoob will be matched for it.

[Edited by Hanslow - 4/15/2003 7:40:05 PM]
Old 15 April 2003, 08:03 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

yeh like hanslow said

The scoob i had a fiddle with, was very nice, and at lower speeds i had to ease off slightly, and at higher speeds could see the scoob easing away.

But that’s why you goto save for a turbo to fit on your blade LOL

One thing, the way the power comes in is totally different, it feels much much faster, for my the whole point of these cars is fun. They feel fast as hell, there are loads of cars faster and if you need something to out drag or beet others on the road, then probably not a god idea, as a simple driving mistake could cause you loads of trouble in a rear wheel drive car like one of these. But if your looking for pure self indulgent and fun, you’ll love it.

I leave the boy racer cozzys and scoobys in the area well alone(not all cozzy and scoob drivers are so retentive, but there seems a few around these parts-you know the baseball cap wearing boy racer type) odd you never see this type on track

Where are you mate , your welcome to come for a blast one weekend.

[Edited by catflap - 4/15/2003 8:14:56 PM]
Old 15 April 2003, 08:19 PM
chris p1
Scooby Regular

I pay about Ł250 on my Westy and its got a 280bhp Cossie lump in it all they need to know is what cc it is and thats it As Nozzer i use Osbournes and have found them to be about the cheapest.The Westy is in a different leauge to my old P1 on sheer pace and speed round a track, all though the P1 would be faster on road as it handles the holes and ruts and the Westfield doesnt it just breaks your neck then crashes into the nearest ditch
Old 15 April 2003, 08:22 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Talking

heheh 280bhp in a westy

Do you have to put a peg on your tongue to stop yourself from swallowing it LOL must be awesome

Any idea of 1/4 times form one Chris ?
Old 15 April 2003, 09:02 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Catflap,

Will have to join you and DodgeT out for a run when I get sorted with mine. It's all Dodge's fault for taking me out in his anyway

You'll have to go slow for me anyway, I can't keep up with you nutter types
Old 15 April 2003, 10:01 PM
Student Phil
Scooby Regular

1996 WESTFIELD ROADSTER 1800 , 1996,
2300 miles, SEiW. Ford 2.0 OHC 5 speed. Side screens, tonneau, alloys. 1 owner, never raced, dry use only. Immac. Ł6,250 .

What do you think to something like the above. Obviously its never going to be as fast as the Megabusa etc, but what osrt of 0-60 and 1/4 mile times could be expected from the sort of spec above? I know very little about the models of Westfield, there seems to be a huge range of variation, but then again I suppose thats the nature of the beast!
Old 15 April 2003, 10:39 PM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

Like chris, i also have a westie with a stage 3 cossie lump with approx 330bhp and it goes quite well
It is such a different drive to the P1 you realise how easy scoobs are to drive quick
Old 15 April 2003, 10:43 PM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

Taking it too france thursday for its first track day so looking forward to that will be different on track to the p1 me thinks
Chris, what tyre pressures you use on track?
Old 16 April 2003, 09:47 AM
Student Phil
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know anything about the model advertised above?
Old 16 April 2003, 09:54 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'll stick a post on the Westie board and try and get some info for you
Old 16 April 2003, 09:57 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Thread now posted on the WSCC BBS.

You can find it here Westie Info

Cheers

Steve
Old 16 April 2003, 09:58 AM
Student Phil
Scooby Regular

You're a legend mate!
Old 16 April 2003, 01:21 PM
chris p1
Scooby Regular

Nozzer i run them at 20psi when hot so think thats about 17-18psi cold it really does make a huge differance to the way the car handles well it does on mine as its got the standard suspension set up on there at the moment,not sure if I will change it as its sooooooo much fun with all that power and dodgy handling.What did make a big difference to my lap times was going over to road legal slicks Yoko 032 R's they knocked off nearly 2 seconds a lap round Brands for me all though I think you have sticky's fitted all ready don't you.
Chris
Old 16 April 2003, 10:20 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Cool

hi catfalp i`m up north in carlisle, are you going to the northern big one? i`ll be there and you can show me your car
not realy thinking about it this year just trying to get some info and some money saved for next year

cheers mike
Old 16 April 2003, 10:23 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

im in the midlands mate, i may go to the big one not sure. IF your ever down this way drop me a line and ill take yo uout for a spin
Old 16 April 2003, 10:52 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Cool

cheers mate will do that and i`ll look out for you at the NBO

mike
Old 18 April 2003, 10:09 AM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

"seems a few around these parts-you know the baseball cap wearing boy racer type) odd you never see this type on track "

I wear a baseball cap but only becasuse I got crap hair!
Old 18 April 2003, 10:29 AM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Ah - i think these bike engines westy are a bunch of tosh !

Well, i did until i bought one, and it is catflap and DodgeT's fault ! (sort of)

Basically, i was forced into selling the scoob through work, doin a few miles etc, i didn't want to, it was just non-optional, went out in dodgeT's a few time, and i was sold !

Cheers
Jonto
Old 18 April 2003, 11:20 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

LOL @ Jonto

That's what happened to me...sold my Scoob because of being made redundant . Went out in Dodge's car, will now hopefully be picking up a 2.0 VX at the end of the month

Quick Reply: Westfield