Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Improve handling

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2003, 01:33 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Calling upon your technical expertise regarding suspension and handling.

I am thinking of changing the factory standard springs on my Clio172 to eibach pro versions which lower the car by 30mm. Question is will this really improve ride and handling? Renualt's R&D team must have spent shed loads of money to obtain the optimimum setup and therefore would changing to "better" springs really improve things as advertised. Surely the springs will not be matched to the standard factory shocks. I know the answer is to get eibach;s matchnig shocks but that is out of my budget. I know different cars respond differently to modifications, but what have people found in general with "upgrading" just the springs? Any view/opinions greatly appreciated.
Old 31 March 2003, 01:51 PM
minister of speed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Recently stuck Eibach Pro springs on MY02 WRX.

Ride, well it certainly is a lot firmer (you will feel every lump bump and hole, but not a crash - just a thud), Not shockingly hard but if you like a bit of comfort are there any other options?

Handling, minimal roll, installs "cocaine confidence", much tighter back end, more feel / feedback.

Looks... pretty cool.

All in all bearable and now 4 weeks on I 've forgotten what it used to feel like before anyway.

Go for it...

Old 31 March 2003, 01:52 PM
brett555
Scooby Regular

On other cars i have had , uprating just the springs without uprating the shocks makes the car bouncy over small bumps. Generally handling was improved and it looked good too. The life on your standard shocks will be reduced aswell.

On my current car i have uprated both shocks and springs with a Bilstien kit , i remember the day i drove around after having it done , it was absolutely amazing . Car looked great , handled wonderful but again you have to compromise , ride was a bit stiff and i felt a lot of the bumps on the road (but i knew this before anyway) , but once again ... handling was great.

brett
Old 31 March 2003, 01:53 PM
malvinas
Scooby Regular

Lol "cocaine confidence" - whats that then? where you feel all cocky right up until 20 mins later when you would sell your own grandmother for some more?
Old 31 March 2003, 02:14 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
With the standard setup at the moment, when driving near the limit the handling is progressive, does stiffening the suspension make the car more snappy and therefore break away more suddenly?