Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mitsubishi Galant VR4

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2003, 07:09 PM
Corpulent Tosser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone have an experience of these things ?

My brother, known for his love of the unusual (he used to have a Harley FFS) is thinking about buying one.

Any info good or bad will be passed on to him.

Ta !
Old 08 March 2003, 12:59 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Test drove one, a year and a half back. My thoughts (all IMHO)

Engine nice, turbo(s) in much earlier than a scoob, smooth, refined. Nowhere near as fast as it should have been for 276bhp (slower than a classic 215bhp scoob turbo IMO). Tiptronic gearbox horrible. Decent space, brakes fine. Anti yaw gave fantastic grip, but it needed this to overcome an average (at best) chassis. Some jap imports have unintelligible aircon & TV screen. Makes scoob look economical by all accounts

The one I drove was something like a '98 car, the newer ones may be better. However, I was strangely dissapointed after driving one and ended up buying a bugeye. Haven't regretted it once, especially since I upped the power output!
Old 08 March 2003, 11:48 AM
H7
Scooby Regular

Strange how opinions differ I've been driving a VR-4 for about a year now, following 2½ years in a twin-turbo Legacy (and before that an Evo IV and before that a UK Impreza Turbo). The VR-4 and the Legacy are better built than their smaller cousins but, if CT's brother's frame is anything like mine he'll find the VR-4 the most comfortable.

As far as speed is concerned, the VR-4 won't be outdone by an Impreza WRX in a straight line so UK Imprezas are not competition! As compared to my Evo IV, it's every bit as quick in a straight line with the INVECS II box able to deliver the torque optimally without having to be hard on the car. IMHO, if anyone complains that the auto/tiptronic box is cr@p, they drove a bad one. That said, I changed the gear oil on mine for Dexron III for improved response.

The VR-4 isn't as quick on the twisties though - it's a big lump of a car so will never be as nimble as an Evo or an Impreza. That said, there's nothing wrong with the chassis and I much prefer to be in the VR-4 (with its AYC and everything) on a long fast tightening bend because [flame suit on mode] it'll hang in there better than any Impreza [/flame suit off]

He needs to drive one himself and make up his own mind. Or ask him to give me a call if he's ever near Scotland and he can try mine

Brian

[Edited by H7 - 3/8/2003 12:02:57 PM]
Old 09 March 2003, 10:39 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

well built, quick, smooth and rare.

insurance is high, 20mpg and service every 4.5k

Had a 97 VR4 for a year and been no problem what so ever, just drove it to brittany via dover (630 ish miles) and was excellent especially on the french roads, wouldnt have liked to have done it in a scoob.
Old 10 March 2003, 04:09 PM
Nick VR4
Scooby Regular

I have the Legnum (estate) version a fast big comfy car........ enough said

Old 10 March 2003, 04:28 PM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

LeeMac- I drive a scoob on French roads every day and I have to say- it was made for them!!!

Old 11 March 2003, 08:54 AM
jaysback
Scooby Newbie

i also have the legnum (galant estate) top bit off kit
its (in its basic form) a big evo5. loads of room, loads of toys, and if you get the ralliart spec one ( recaro's instead of the leather) imho much better *sorry other vr4 owners *
i know these can surprise the boys in their toys.
never driven any scoobs so cant compare to them.
p.s. mine is up for sale after all that.
evo 6 time

Trending Topics

Old 11 March 2003, 10:13 AM
Corpulent Tosser
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers guys, I will pass on the comments.

if CT's brother's frame is anything like mine he'll find the VR-4 the most comfortable.
H7 - I am corpulent, but my brother is positively spherical
Old 11 March 2003, 06:16 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Scooby-new, wasn't saying the scoob is no good on french roads or any road but was refering to the noise and heavy a clutch for over 600 continuous miles, I thought the clutch was ok on my old scoob until i got the VR4 and rested my left leg, had a lot of pain before and the doc and hospital couldn't explain.
Would have another scoob tho.
Old 12 March 2003, 03:44 AM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

H7,

You might have a very good point about your VR4 concerning its higher weight and wider track/longer wheelbase giving it a better, more predicatable/stable hold of some roads.

However, due to the nature of auto testers, (i.e. very lazy), we'll never know about these differences. Currently there is no car journal that tests cars for unique situations and abilities. For the mags, a car is either up or down, light and good handling or "heavy" and slow-witted. They don't realize that cars like the VR4 might be quite a bit better than their smaller cousins in many circumstances, but it would never make good copy.

The fact is different well-designed cars have different purposes. Some will excel on wider sweeping roads (like Audi's and MB's), yet others will excel on wide sweeping roads with "fast tightening bends"(like VR4's and Legacy's), and yet others on narrow slow tightening bends, etc.

Until cars are tested in many of these aformentioned circumstances, all we can do is take peoples word for it. And indeed I'm inclined to take yours. Thanks.
Old 12 March 2003, 07:26 PM
H7
Scooby Regular

You're welcome, Jeremy I was in NY over Xmas last year - excellent time (white Xmas!), wonderful city!