Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Civic Type R or keep my UK Impreza Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2003, 08:28 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my impreza but i've loved the CTR since it came out.

I love the traction I get but something keeps drawing me to a CTR.

The figures i've seen seem to suggest that the CTR is pretty much on par with my impreza (UK with ITG Filter, and soon a Scoobysport back box and centre section, so basically standard).

I'll probably get flamed for asking but which is the higher performer, the 1/4 mile teams people have been posting with those cars seem to be equal with the impreza!!!

Also a mate of mine has one and since i'm still wondering whether to get one or not we're gonna have a quick race from the lights soon, will I be embarrased, I hope not because it'll mean selling my Impreza.

decisions decisions, its a tough one, can anyone spread some light on the differences, I know its not 4wd and i'll sure miss that!
Old 29 January 2003, 08:32 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

oh and i was reading reviews about handling and reading on the civic type r forums, everyone is saying that they handle well in the twisties, I thought thats what our cars did well?

Under what circumstances is the impreza quicker and vice versa
Old 29 January 2003, 08:47 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Like any FWD car inherent problems with traction off the line and out of slow corners or damp/wet conditions. There wont be much in straight line and around the twisties it will come down to driver ability/stupidity.

It tends to rain a lot in the UK and the roads arent the best. On a damp/bumpy back road I know which car I would rather be in. For me the scoob would be safer and more predictable.
Old 29 January 2003, 10:34 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

A friend had one for about 4 months. The engine was replaced on about the 3rd month, after doing the big ends in. He hated the car, and got rid of it after that. It wasnt that quick either.
Old 29 January 2003, 10:39 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Another big factor if you don't permanently cane the ***** off the car - torque. Basically the honda engines have sod-all cos they get power by revving high and pushing the torque up the rev range. Not sure of Civic but the more powerful S2000 (about 235hp) has only 154lb-ft compared to over 200 for a standard UK turbo which is prolly being conservative. Plus the Impreza produces the torque lower down.

One of the reasons many people like the hondas cos you do have to thrash them to get the power, but if you don't then the scoob is much more flexible/torquey, especially a MY97> with the TD04 turbo.
Old 29 January 2003, 10:53 PM
Sparky1066
Scooby Regular

The seats are pretty manky, but at least it comes with 17's as standard.
Old 30 January 2003, 07:11 AM
UHF
Scooby Regular

interesting reading, thanks guys.

Sounds to me like its prolly on par in a straight line and around bends, but in the wet and when you wanna drive carefully back from work after a long day that its just going to be annoyingly slow unless you concentrate on keeping the revs up, which means you'll be thrashing it every where you go.
Old 30 January 2003, 07:53 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Another big factor if you don't permanently cane the ***** off the car - torque. Basically the honda engines have sod-all cos they get power by revving high and pushing the torque up the rev range. Not sure of Civic but the more powerful S2000 (about 235hp) has only 154lb-ft compared to over 200 for a standard UK turbo which is prolly being conservative. Plus the Impreza produces the torque lower down.

One of the reasons many people like the hondas cos you do have to thrash them to get the power, but if you don't then the scoob is much more flexible/torquey, especially a MY97> with the TD04 turbo.
A common, if wrong, misconception.

If you think that the Civic has poor torque then you are automatically saying the same about almost every 2.0n/a car on sale today. The Civic has one of the best torque figures for its class, with 90% of it being available from 3000rpm onwards. Add in a redline of over 8000 and that's a pretty big window.

Sure the CTR doesn't have Scoob levels of torque - no non turbo car will - but it is better than most of the opposition.
Old 30 January 2003, 08:46 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Smile

I saw one on track and my god did it corner well!

I fancy one too, less desireable for vandals and a solid Honda lump, decent interior. Don't like the way it looks like a van though

MB
Old 30 January 2003, 09:18 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Red face

Seats manky ? WTF

Have you ever sat/driven in one ? Doesn't sound like it. The seats are fantastic, miles more supportive than my old Impreza ones.

The CTR is a great car, love it to bits. I do miss the AWD especially in this weather. But it makes up for it in other areas.

Floor it and it really pulls, up to 6k and the iVTEC kicks in and it wails like a banshee. Scares the life out of the innocent public

Okay, so its not got a turbo, but thats not the be all. Its a great looking car, great handling, well (read - British) built car has the bomb proof iVTEC technology and a great close ratio 6-speed box.

Try it, you might just like it
Old 30 January 2003, 09:39 AM
zax
Scooby Regular

Re the CTR seats - I loved them but only because they were similar to those in my old my00, which were a perfect fit! And the CTR gearshift is far better too, even if it does look odd.
Old 30 January 2003, 10:22 AM
Ali-T
Scooby Regular

Lack of torque. Oh dear, here we go (again).

No it doesn't have Scooby levels of torque, but the gearing multiplication factor negates much of a Scooby's advantage. Add the fact that it revs far higher as well and its not far behind.

After the 60-100 thread, I decided to try my incredibly scientific 60-100 in 4th, 5th and 6th test (one driver, one half full tank and one Pulsar watch- like I said, scientific )

Results:

4th: 8.8secs
5th: 12.5 secs
6th: 17 secs

Not exactly accurate I'll admit, but the 4th gear figure only uses VTEC after 80mph, and neither 5th or 6th are using VTEC at all. To put that in perspective, my 60-100 through 3rd and 4th was little quicker- 8.6secs on average. OK, that's using an inaccurate timing method and a speedo, but the comparison through the gears and purely in 4th are equally inaccurate (ie same method).

Point? It doesn't lack torque.

Just wish it was a new ITR, that Litchfield ad keeps flashing one up on the screen. I want one...
Old 30 January 2003, 01:09 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Have you tryed a Clio Cup?

Scott
Old 30 January 2003, 01:19 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Did someone mention Clio Cup - now there's a car with seriously crap torque.

Either that or the CTR aint to bad after all - seeing as they have almost exactly the same.
Old 30 January 2003, 01:26 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

was that clio cup thing a joke?

The car still has to have luxuries, if it doesnt have any then I may as well buy a gutted out kit car and stick a 2 litre turbo in that
Old 30 January 2003, 02:02 PM
zax
Scooby Regular

The CTR isn't exactly fully loaded with toys. Standard = no stereo, aircon, clock, trip computer etc. etc. A basic Golf is more plush, if you're looking for toys you're in the wrong place. Didn't bother me, drove one then bought one
Old 30 January 2003, 02:13 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

i'm not talking about serious toys, i'm just saying that by comparison the clio cup is deliberately scaled down
Old 30 January 2003, 02:20 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Question

zax, don't know where you got your CTR from but you must have been ripped off as a standard UK CTR comes with CD and a trip computer
Old 30 January 2003, 02:40 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Lightbulb

Mine too Mine has CD stereo, clock, & trip computer.
Old 30 January 2003, 03:57 PM
Ducati 996
Scooby Regular

zax has obviously been looking at the imports, which don't get the alarm either.

Seats in the CTR weren't as good as the old recaros in my ITR, but by heck they blow the socks of the impreza (lets try and look sporty aka dodgy 50 quid halfords baseball cap boy racer seats!), handling is a good as it gets for a 2wd car, torque, yeah we haven't got a turbo... woo hoo!!!!, to me a turbo is lazy technology, I'll admit that nothing gives you a thump like a turbo, but it's so aggrecultural these days, I mean diesels have them !

Plus running costs, etc are a huge factor, I've got my fingers crossed that Honda Uk will import the new ITR, which has been rumoured for a while, and I guess the aggresive pricing of the CTR, can only mean the ITR would be sub £20K also.
Old 30 January 2003, 05:08 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Do they CORNER.
Old 30 January 2003, 07:14 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

So it the crappy impreza or the CTR along with its

1. Massive amount of toys
2. Unbelievable amount of torque that defies the spec sheet and is only just short of the impreza due to its awesome gearbox ratio and engine
3. Best sounding engine ever built ever
4. Best interior ever built ever
5. Best handling 2WD car ever built ever
6. Infact its the best car ever ever ever LOL

Just drive them both on a wet afternoon and decide for yourself

Drive a classic STi and you realize 300bhp and 4WD can be fun to in the right hands .

[Edited by chrisp - 1/30/2003 7:15:42 PM]
Old 30 January 2003, 07:16 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

What do you guys think a Clio Cup is??
Stripped down to bare shell with 1 seat inside?

Clio Cups have
Electric Windows/mirrors
Full Trip Comp
Dual airbags
CD Player
Steering wheel remote
Fogs
Heated mirrors
Temp Guage

Have any of you ever seen a Clio Cup???

Scott
Old 30 January 2003, 07:18 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

yep there was one on right car wrong car and she brought the cossie
Old 30 January 2003, 07:27 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

She would have bought the cossie over anything, she mainly wanted it because of the colour, what does that tell you?

Scott
Old 30 January 2003, 07:40 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yep I know but with a comment like that I couldnt resist the reply .

I think these cut down version are great pug did it with the rallyes and renault with the cup version. Gives you the choice for the budget minded.
Old 30 January 2003, 08:19 PM
zax
Scooby Regular

<------- over here, they come as I described Didn't know UK models were that better equipped. Nice to know that I paid around 5 grand more than you guys for less gear! Never mention rip-off britain in my presence...

That said, I'm still a happy bunny
Old 30 January 2003, 08:28 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

chrisp - glad you've seen the light
Old 30 January 2003, 09:04 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just need one that can do 60 in 4.5 seconds and a ton in 12 and they may have a new customer .
Old 30 January 2003, 10:07 PM
si325i
Scooby Regular

chrisp. your wrong, lets face it. best 2wd, sound?? hahaha..
325i rocks! ultimate driving machine!

Quick Reply: Civic Type R or keep my UK Impreza Turbo?