Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Test drove an Evo 6 today

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2003, 08:05 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a Ralliart Australia owned car with 20000kms on the clock. It was absolutely pristine by the way, just nicely run in..

Completely standard, maintained by Ralliart.

Test drove it for approx 2 hours on a mix of inner city (ie awful), motorway and country roads.

My thoughts on it..

The interior other than the seats and the steering wheel is diabolical.. I don't think I've seen such poor quality plastic in any car for a very long time. Much worse than Subaru's and Gawd knows that's bad enough . Seating position however was pretty good.

Gear change was nice, crisp feel and a reasonably short throw between the gears.

However, There's always a however ..

What is up with the brake pedal??? It is so much higher than the accelerator that heel and toeing is much harder than on a 22B. Far from being a natural roll of the foot for me anyway.

Brake feel and travel was also a bit iffy in my very humble opinion. A long travel and so light in feel as to make you wonder if the brakes were actually going to bite. The brakes themselves were fine, just the pedal action and feel was so off putting.

The car has a much softer suspension feel over poor quality roads, which in some ways is a bit of a benefit.

Acceleration.. Mmmmmm Bearing in mind this is a standard one..

I was very, very disappointed.. From everything I've read on here and elsewhere I was expecting a bit of a beast.. Not so

Nowhere near the acceleration that I have been used too in various Subaru's. Don't take me wrongly it is reasonably quick. Just that it doesn't seem to have the get up and go.

It does turn in well at speed on country roads (think UK minor A road with a very good surface). The steering feels similar to a quick rack setup. Turn in feels close to that of a Subaru that has had the Bump Steer mod done.. ie the understeer dialled out.

Off boost the car feels really ordinary. Just another typical Jap econo box. Whereas the 22 off boost somehow still feels a bit special. Can't really explain that one..

Engine note is very disappointing.. No aural pleasure to be had here then

The standard sound system is okay, I'm not a Hi Fi fiend.. But MOS sounded okay.. Better than the two speaker only system in the 22.

Visiblity out of the car, especially to the rear is better than the 22. The rear wing doesn't cut off police car lights like the 22 does.

One thing I really could not understand, was the intercooler spray control.. Manual only!!! and then placed in an awkard to get at place.. Why no auto water spray????? When pressing on a bit the last thing I'm going to do is take my left hand off the wheel and hunt for the water spray button, especially as it's so small..

All in all not the overwhelming experience that I've been led to believe by many contributors here and on MLR.

As the Evo7 was never officially released here then I may just put my name down on the waiting list for an Evo 8 and get something else in the meantime..

Richard

Old 14 January 2003, 08:38 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Edited because I didn't read all the thread

[Edited by Devil's Refugee - 1/14/2003 8:40:39 AM]
Old 14 January 2003, 08:46 AM
Spanpody.
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sounds like you drove a lemon!

Old 14 January 2003, 10:13 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

yeah that does not sound at all like an evo - try another one and check
Old 14 January 2003, 10:56 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mr Squire, you sure it wasn't a Lancer GLi with a bodykit?

PS May I look after your 22 whilst you're away?? I'll be nice to her, honest! Only got 3 Ring trips planned between now and end of May
Old 14 January 2003, 11:29 AM
EvoRSX
Scooby Regular

Guys,
Std Evo 6 compared to a 22B and there probably isn't going to be that much of a difference to talk about.

Andy
Old 14 January 2003, 12:00 PM
Toad
Scooby Regular

Talking

Definately a lemon by the sounds of it or a fake!!!There is probably minimal performance difference between a standard evo6 and a 22B.In actiall fact the evo6 is marginally quicker on paper.

Toad.

Trending Topics

Old 14 January 2003, 12:02 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Off boost the car feels really ordinary. Just another typical Jap econo box. Whereas the 22 off boost somehow still feels a bit special. Can't really explain that one..

Engine note is very disappointing.. No aural pleasure to be had here then
I think you'll find the first point here is a consequence of the second point.
Old 14 January 2003, 12:14 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Std Evo 6 compared to a 22B and there probably isn't going to be that much of a difference to talk about.
Nah... no way... sorry but there is NO comparison .

None

Zero

Zilch.....

The evo 6 TME compares only with a Legacy turbo and then doesn't even come anywhere near the early Legacy turbos for raw grunt

I went looking for a beast, as I was led to believe and found...

A nothing..

The singularly most disappointing car that I have ever driven..

Which is sad as I really wanted to buy it..

Sorry, But I really was looking for something special in this car.

So many people that I know that have moved from Scoobs to Evo rave about them

But a pristine standard Evo 6 Tommi Makinen edition is a very, very ordinary car... which makes me

Oh and it certainly was no lemon, well not unless Ralliart OZ don't look after their cars..

Which I do not believe for one minute

Old 14 January 2003, 12:17 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I drove a 7 and wasnt impressed the interior was not the best, and people complain about scoobs. It also seemed slow compared to my RA maybe it wasnt in too gooder shaper either. I think if I had gone from a UK scoobs to EVO I would have been impressed. However I went from a UK scoob to a JDM scoob.

Sure the 7 was okay but I definitely wasnt blown away by it and it certainly didnt make me feel like I should sell the scoob and buy one. The EVOs have been hyped up and rightly so they are great cars but a JDM scoob is definitely in the same ball park .

Old 14 January 2003, 12:35 PM
Toad
Scooby Regular

I have an evo6 GSR(standard)and the accelleration in my mind is nothing short of awesome.very manic delivery and thrust into your seat.All my mates cannot believe how quick it is and most of them have been in some very fast cars.The standard GSR cracks 60 in around 4.8 seconds and 100 in about 13 perhaps slightly less.It is particularly rapid.If it does not feel so then walk away cos it's a clanger!

Toad.
Old 14 January 2003, 12:43 PM
Toad
Scooby Regular

Without getting into one of those my car is faster than yours debates,I will have to disagree with what you say.A standard 22B will crack 60 in about 5-5.2 seconds.A standard evo6 will hit 60 in about 4.5-4.8 seconds.On paper it is quicker.The evo6 also has minimal turbo lag and is more than a match for a 22B.
If you can read the ultimate test in the uk evo magazine.They tested all the best four wheel drive cars and the 22B did not make the final three.The two evo6's claimed position 1-3 and 2nd was the RB5.All I can say is that your 22B must be tweaked because as two standard cars there is not a lot in it between a 22B or an evo6.But a definate plus for the 22B is that engine note!I also heard that the 22B suffered quite badly from turbo lag......
Don't want to start a heated debate as it is not needed but there is no way a 22B is hugely quicker than an evo6.This has been proven.

Toad.
Old 14 January 2003, 12:49 PM
Toad
Scooby Regular

I do agree that the evo especially the 6 has been hped up a little.But the first time I went in one I was not dissappointed.At the end of the day imprezas and evo's are the same.There is virtually no differemnce between them and what there is is minimal.It is what you are into really.
But a good standard evo6 GSR will hold it's own against any other standard scooby in performance and handling apart from a type-RA which is a limited edition light weight special.
A p1-22B and evo6 are all part of the same league and there is generally minimal difference between them.

Toad.
Old 14 January 2003, 12:55 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

lol richie is that why your fiance loves evos 22bs is nice mate i went in yours but the evo is worlds apart
Old 14 January 2003, 01:11 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

QUOTE:I was very, very disappointed.. From everything I've read on here and elsewhere I was expecting a bit of a beast.. Not so .

Are you sure there wasnt a block of wood under the throttle pedal?? because every Evo i have been in(including my own) the acceleration is amazing.

There must have been something up with the car if the acceleration is really poor or the boost was turned right down?

I have been in many scoobs and Evos and to be honest they are very similar cars performance wise.
Old 14 January 2003, 01:28 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

A standard 22B will crack 60 in about 5-5.2 seconds.
I think you will find they are quick than that . Tiff did a 5.2 in a MY97 with standard 208bhp UK scoob so sub 5 woudl be no problem with a torquey 2.2 and 276bhp engine.

I cant see why people should think they are so much quicker. They weigh more and have roughly the same bhp in standard trim.

Yes I was probably was asking a lot from jumping out of a 1240kgs 276bhp RA to a standard 276bhp Evo 7 but I too had heard the owners praises .
Old 14 January 2003, 01:36 PM
InsBro
Scooby Regular

I drove over 10 evo's before i bought mine, the brakes did feel iffy on some (track day cars). I have to agree with the other's go and drive another!!!

There is quite a famouse 22B that lives in Macclesfield, he has never told the story of being stuffed on the cat and fiddle by a silver VI and and Audi RS4!!!! - Wonder why? That was before Autronics etc to.

Jeremy
Old 14 January 2003, 01:51 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

If you can read the ultimate test in the uk evo magazine.
Sorry .... but I don't read magazines

I drive and or own the cars and make up my mind from actual experience

and the evo sorry IMHO does not cut it..

Sorry to upset some people..

Just my humble opinion having been there and done it..

Sorry
Old 14 January 2003, 01:53 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

you just have to try another one to find out. - this one sounds fishy
Old 14 January 2003, 02:04 PM
PAUL GEE
Scooby Regular

Richard,
You certainly know how to stir 'em up LOL

I'm sure if you wait a little longer the 2.5 will appear as a JDM car. I think a 2.5 RA spec C with WRC Body panels will appear within the next twelve months

Now that 'will' hit your sweet spot

Paul.
Old 14 January 2003, 02:08 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

But can an a Evo corner

This is the question

Old 14 January 2003, 02:15 PM
InsBro
Scooby Regular

Wink

I can give you 22 reasons why its better from a to B than some cars
Old 14 January 2003, 02:38 PM
Toad
Scooby Regular

Rsquire,don't worry you haven't upset me ;-).I have just been reading up on the 22b and it does sound like an awesome machine,similar in exclusitivity to the RS and extreme versions of the evo.I think I was wrong about the turbo lag bit!!!!
Interesting though,on paper the 22B does not seem blisteringly quick.The best time I have seen is 5 seconds dead to 60 and 13 seconds for 100.This has been quoted by quite a few mags.
But at the end of the day the 22B is an absolutely awesome car which I hold much respect for.But I would say drive another evo6 as the accelleration is blistering once you hit 3K!!!

Toad.

Toad.
Old 14 January 2003, 02:40 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Smile

Correction to misinformation given above (for what its worth)the RB5 won the EVO mag 4x4 supertest!

I agree EVOs are probably a step up from std UK turbos just as JDM cars are a big step up as well.

Toad the acceleration on the VI wont be awesome as they the figures for that are no quicker than the 22B!!

[Edited by wilf - 1/14/2003 2:43:01 PM]
Old 14 January 2003, 03:09 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

rsquire,

how many evos have you driven now then?

you said you were very keen to buy one but you seem very easily put off, seeming happier to drive and then cuss an obvious lemon rather than try out a few more and see why quite a number of peeps rave about em.

Do ralliart only have that one car over there? Why not try a few others?

regards
Old 14 January 2003, 03:15 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

I apologise if anyone thought this was a wind up post..

because it certainly wasn't meant that way..

Simply an observation by a simple driver on the relative merits of a potential purchase..

Sadly a car that I was eagerly anticipating turned out to be lacking in so many respects..

Oh and as the question as to whether it was a lemon..

Somehow I really do not think so .. Well maybe you should take that one up with the Boss of Ralliart Australia *shrugs*

If I can't get my 22 into OZ then, yes, I may, and it's a big may get one..

But sadly the whole experience was a bit underwhelming

Old 14 January 2003, 03:20 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

so is the answer 1?

I'm sorry but if you can call the acceleration 'very very disappointing' then its simply not right. simple as that.

You're not just saying its not quite as quick as you thought it would be!
It should be at least as quick as the 22b so if its not then the obvious answer that the car is not right???

[Edited by juan - 1/14/2003 3:27:54 PM]
Old 14 January 2003, 03:43 PM
Toad
Scooby Regular

An interesting debate.Wilf,you are right,the RB5 won the super test!Also the evo6 accelleration is awesome as is the 22B!
I think I have found the problem here.The 22B has a large displacement,2.2 litres as the evo is only 2litres.Basically the 22B sounds like it pulls strongly off boost right to the redline.The evo6 suffers from slight lag but the power comes in with a smack at 3K.The power delivery on these two cars is very different.Another thing I would consider is that I have found that evo's in australia seem to be CONSIDERABLY slower(standard ones)possibly due to the heat or the cars could be restricted in some way?A lot of 0-60 times for evo6's down under have been around 5.7s which could be accounted for by the heat?
But I have to say that there is no performance difference between a 22B and an evo6.
Evo6-0to60-4.8s
Evo6 0to100-12.9s

22B 0to60-5.0s
22B 0to100-13s.

Toad.
Old 14 January 2003, 04:07 PM
Mkhan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi ya Rich

Mate if you want to try another Evo6 as a test, come over to my gaff as I have one sitting on my drive way since xmas (the owner is trying to make me buy it and has left it in my care)

Anyway his is box standard (I mean standard) even has that knackered hair dryer sound when you start it up and every thing

But his is quicker than my scoob. at the lower end I am pulling but once he gets into the higher end he is a way..

I remember when we was in germany on the A.B. I was doing 155 and he pulled away from me ... I was shocked cannot believe it ..GUTTED even.. his is box standard and at the time I was 280BHP... (

Anyway .. pop over and take this one for a spin and see what you think..

Mark
Old 14 January 2003, 04:11 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Someone actually believes the quotes and times in magazines Noooooooo, surely not!

Quick Reply: Test drove an Evo 6 today