Is Clarkson a Knob or just a total...

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2002, 01:01 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

****!!!!
What a crock of sh1te! Golf Gti in the cool section, and golf Diesel in the uncool section???
WTF everyone knows a GTPDI pishes over 2.o gti!?
What a Muppet! and talk about sarcastic! taking the pish outa that guy with the ear rings, hope he chinned him after the show!
Very low form of wit that bunch of Dorks!

[Edited by LEE P - 12/2/2002 1:02:27 AM]
Old 12 March 2002, 01:09 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ooops Double post!

[Edited by LEE P - 12/3/2002 1:14:03 AM]
Old 12 March 2002, 03:40 PM
cookiemonster
Scooby Regular

a cool diesel:

[html] http://www.imagevaults.co.uk/images/vwracingcup02/vwc02_tx_Neuhoff_01x.jpg [/html]

[Edited by cookiemonster - 12/3/2002 3:48:43 PM]
Old 12 April 2002, 07:58 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

i sold my scoobie which i bought new in 2000 and had it 20 months and covered nearly 60000k in it!
60 million miles in 20 months? Blimey thats going some, you must have averaged over 4000miles per hour, 24 hours a day and the troll's say Scooby's are slow!

- I think you mean 60k or 60000

Back on the diesels subject - I had a 330d for 2 years. It was great. Quick, reliable, gave over 500miles between fill-ups, and very non-dieselly.....but that's the thing. The only diesels that are peceived by some as 'cool' are those that don't look, sound or go like diesels! In otherwords, diesels which seem like Petrol cars. To my mind that means Clarkson is pretty much right...diesels on the whole are not 'cool'.

Diesels have come on in leaps and bounds in the past few years, but are still lagging behind petrol. Like-for-like the petrol is still a league ahead in everything area except fuel consumption and extreme longevity. I know the 330d and 330 petrol are similar performance..but that is Turbo agasint NA. Take a 2.0 turbo diesel and a 2.0 litre turbo petrol (or 3-litre turbos) and which will be quicker? And before the cost-arguement comes in, manufacturers massively discount diesels (loss leaders) so as to hit EU manufacturer-wide CO2 emmisions targets. Example - the 330d costs £1500 more to make than the 330i, yet it has a near identical retail price. Use that £1500 to strap a supercharger or turbocharger onto the 330i and do you think the 330d would keep up?

Only circumstance (or thriftiness) will lead people to go for the diesel - as it did me. 30000 miles per year with 60% of the fuel bill coming from my pocket meant the 330d was the best option, and saved me £1000's a year overall compared to the Impreza. Now I don't pay for any of my fuel though have I replaced it with another diesel? Or course not....I've got a big V8 petrol

Back on the real subject.....I love Clarkson, I think he is the ultimate non-PC, Male Chauvinist, contraversial 'lads lad'. The very reason some hate him, are the very same reason the rest of us think he is brilliant. Good to see him back with cars

[Edited by GaryC - 12/4/2002 8:00:44 AM]
Old 02 December 2002, 01:16 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hehe seems to me that hes hit a sore spot - I bet you wear an earring and drive a diesel golf

I think hes the only reason to watch that show as the fat guy and that other tw@t are useless.

If u actuallypaid attention to his explanation of cool then u would know that outright performance wasnt a factor.
Old 02 December 2002, 06:09 AM
nichop
Scooby Regular

I think he's quite funny. He's there to cause outrage, that's what he does.
Old 02 December 2002, 06:59 AM
neilbbb
Scooby Regular

total n*b, but that's why i watch the show....

the fact that he doesn't care makes it so much better...mind you he's still sore after the "merc is gay" suggestion

Trending Topics

Old 02 December 2002, 07:56 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Smile

Agree with nichop -He's a funny man. As he said on the show, it's not about performance or handling or power output. It's about "cool" or his perception of if. And diesel cars are not cool. Not sure about the Modena though
Old 02 December 2002, 10:39 AM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

I agree with him, by their very nature diesel cars can never, ever be cool.
Old 02 December 2002, 10:43 AM
Dodgy Ken
Scooby Newbie

Top Gear is now a different show to the one that left our screens for the dark side (5th Gear).

It is now funny (in a slightly dated lads mag way) and generally more entertainment oriented then before.

Even my girlfriend watches it!!

Best line from last night, talking about the elise:
"It weighs 760KG, which is about the same as a Mercedes headrest"
Old 02 December 2002, 11:03 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

P1 Fan! no earrings here M8! or diesel golf!

Diesel audi yes and a golf gti!

just dont like clever *****! but had to watch it for the vicar thingy! otherwise dont normaly bother.

i thought a great sum up was the guy about the aston being to ford like for the money! LMAO, 2 mondeo engines stuck together and full of ford switches etc.
Give me the modena anyday!

who in the wardrobe dept actually lets him go out like that! and the other little twerp is clarkson b1tch LOL

off to blow away some petrol cars in my Tdi quattro, and in the Twisties.

Old 02 December 2002, 02:19 PM
scooby whip
Scooby Regular

agree that diesel cars can never be cool..no matter how good the mid range torque etc. I have had diesels and driven and sure they go well but cool? No!

Anyone who get wound up by Jeremy C is being a sensitive berk. He only says these to provoke a response and he usually gets it which is why he is so entertaining to watch.

Nw format of Top Gear is refreshingly good. MAkes 5th gear seem so boringingly ordinary. Even the wife watched it and found it amusing so it must have been good!

Vanquish versus Modena - no contest, Vanquish is to die for...
Old 02 December 2002, 02:27 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

sorry fans of jezzer,

but he really is a prikc!

he struggles to be funny - just think that if in order to be funny he needs to offend people - his level of intelligence is apparent!

wankker!
weava
Old 02 December 2002, 06:46 PM
mnangrybeats
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well why is a Golf Diesel Cool ??

They hate to Rev, have a limited power band & spew out Black smoke. Sort of a fast Taxi. It may be fast midrange but so are nearly every Turbo Diesel.

Apart from that they are fantastic. :-)
Old 02 December 2002, 07:10 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

He can be amusing, but most of the time he just acts like an offensive *****.

Not a fan of him, but I do chuckle occasionally - especially when The Stig took his car round the circuit.
Old 02 December 2002, 11:16 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I think he's funny and I enjoy watching him but I don't take anything he says seriously!

He couldn't drive his way out of an old paper bag soaked in malt vinegar, he exagerates a milion times more than I do and his dress sense is worse than my dad's!

The thing that gets me is when he slates the Focus RS every body respects his opinion, when he says summat you don't want to hear he's a clueless w*nker
Old 03 December 2002, 01:08 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hiyu Bob!

i aint driven the focus so i aint gonna agree with a sarrcastic knuckle head like him!

i do notice that more people are watching it because of the entertainment factor of 3 dorks and a room of people that should have better things to do!

i like car programs to be about cars not laddish so called humour directed at lesser cars and some unfortunate people!

I mean pee wee herman who test drives with a cushion under his backside slagged off the new mazda, and kisses the *** of a mondeo? probably on he same chassis and running gear

Ross kemp should of chinned him for the crack when he was there!

Lee

My A3 tdi quattro looks cool with black smoke when leaving behind alot of petrol cars in the "TWISTIES" Makes me smile somewhat!
Old 03 December 2002, 08:24 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think he's an **** but I like him for it. His heart is in the right place and he is interested in the right things!!! More importantly, he says what all of us are thinking/feeling, regardless of how Politically Incorrect it is supposed to be - we need more people under the public spotlight like that!!!!! (examples, the M4 Bus Lane, Speeding, Congestion Charging etc.)

On the thing, why does everybody take it all so seriously. He makes it clear that it's his opinion of , it's not up for debate and he doesn't care what anyone else thinks. It's just a bit of entertainment after all and shouldn't be taken seriously. Come on people, lighten up!!!!

One other thing, on the RS Focus, a lot of people have taken his comments out of context. IIRC, he raved about the front diff and the car's front end bite, up to silly speeds. He really liked it but then went on to say that this was then ruined by it's wayward nature once you got it on bumpy, twisty roads. Not all of us use our cars on these types of roads but a lot of us do (B-road twisties are where I take my car when I want to just drive for the sake of having fun ). In fairness, Jay Kay (who is known as being a pretty good driver) said the same, as have other countless car journos. When Evo tested it on Ford's test track (which is v.smooth) they loved it but when they got it on bumpy roads, they didn't like it. The message seems to be a very consistent one!!!

So in short, yes he is a bit of a **** but he's on our side and we should by and large be thankful for that! (IMHO)

Matt
Old 03 December 2002, 12:36 PM
CagedVeeDub
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

>I think he's an **** but I like him for it. His heart is in the >right place and he is interested in the right things!!! More >importantly, he says what all of us are thinking/feeling, >regardless of how Politically Incorrect it is supposed to be - we >need more people under the public spotlight like that!!!!! (examples, the M4 Bus Lane, Speeding, Congestion Charging etc.)

That's odd, that's exactly what I was thinking of posting!

Everyone is too PC these days!

Scott

Old 03 December 2002, 01:48 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Talking

I agree totally...

Yep he's a controversial chappie, but that's the idea...

Mind you, can't agree with him that the Renault Vel Satis is cool.... it ugly and sh1te !!

He means well and doesn't take himself too seriously which is quite refreshing...

Telly is definitely too PC these days, and that programme makes a nice change !!
Old 03 December 2002, 03:26 PM
Derek M
Scooby Regular

Clarkson is a very funny guy and thats why I watch the show.
He is spot on about diesels not being cool. They are soooooo uncool!!! Only for prople who want to save money. Think about it they might go ok but they still sound rubbish and then OH **** I need to change gear!.

IMHO diesels will only become cool once they have some sort of motor sport credentials either in rallying or circuit racing. Untill they start kicking petrol sports cars asses in competition they will remain uncool.
Old 03 December 2002, 03:31 PM
cookiemonster
Scooby Regular

derek m - you mean like the Golf diesel that won a round of the VW cup (a very very hotly contested series) in something like its 5th outing ?

Got to say, I reckon it would be very cool to turn up in a Golf diesel at a track day and waste the usual sports, hot hatch, rally rep crowd
Old 03 December 2002, 03:40 PM
Derek M
Scooby Regular

I mean some real competition motor sport not a series set up by VW. This an isolated series they need to be competing in all the major series's and they need to get wide recognition. At the minute they do not get wide recognition as cars that participate in regularly in motor sport. Would u not agree. Coolness is all about image and most cool cars have some sort of motor sport heritiage (although not always true).
Old 03 December 2002, 03:43 PM
cookiemonster
Scooby Regular

mmm... matey, they entered a diesel into a very competitive saloon series and managed to win two rounds against both their and everyone elses expectations.

credit where its due i feel.

also - i dont know how to get the image up, and i get edit my post, but the car looks pretty good too. 'spesh on two wheels

Old 03 December 2002, 03:48 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

By the very fact you're trying to argue that diesels are cool, it proves that they are not currently cool
Old 03 December 2002, 03:49 PM
neilbbb
Scooby Regular

Wink

are we getting a bit off topic here?

there are some very quick diesels out there now (i think they mentioned a 330d bmw on top gear) but according to jezza they are not cool (quick or not)

jezza has spoken, he may not be right but it's his cool board after all
Old 03 December 2002, 03:49 PM
Derek M
Scooby Regular

When Clarkson says they have become cool then they will have progressed up the ladder of coolness. Until then I still reckon they are not. And wouldnt drive one unless I was given it for free.
Old 03 December 2002, 03:51 PM
cookiemonster
Scooby Regular

ok - i stand by the fact that thing is cool into a retro-chic kind of way.

just check out the picture, and tell me that the definition of cool is not turning up to a track day with it and wasting all the rally reps, hot hatches, etc

Old 03 December 2002, 03:58 PM
cookiemonster
Scooby Regular

derek

face up to it man - you're agree a definition of coolness with clarkson :0

do you have an 80's perm, wear wrangler jeans and listen to steppenwolf too ??

Old 03 December 2002, 04:02 PM
neilbbb
Scooby Regular

Wink

lol at cookie monster...

jeremy was on that programme where the two posh girlies tell you what to wear and they ripped him to pieces....

he didnt give a sh*t.

btw i think that golf ad was good (dare i say cool) where they went back in time (dont know if it was a diesel though)

Quick Reply: Is Clarkson a Knob or just a total...