Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Costs of Running an Integra Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2002, 01:25 PM
Derek M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am thinking of buying one of these probably 98 99 ish.

Is there anything I need to be aware of like any known problems with these cars?

The service intervals are low at 6K miles I think, Are they expensive to service each time?

Are clutches or cambelts a problem in anyones experience?

Thanks

D.
Old 28 November 2002, 01:46 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Hiya, I have had mine for two years, and it is every 6 months, but on an intermediatery/full sequence.
Overall they are not expensive cars to run. They are reliable, and servicing isnt very expensive.
I changed my clutch as I thought it was taking too high, but turns out its how they are! and they tend to last, and a replacement is under £400 so not too bad.

Fuel consumption is good, and very much up to the driver, you VTEC, you use petrol, you cruise under 5000rpm, you use a lot less.
I typically get 230 - 240 miles out of £32 of Super (full tank), but have done as many as 290 miles on a tank when taking it really easy.

Cambelts I have had no probs with, mine has 47000 miles on, and I think its only at 72000 they replace them.

Mines for sale if you decide you'd like one, its a 98, looking for about £8700 ono.

Really good cars, and im only changing mine due to an excellent RX7 thats come up, and I know im going to miss the relatively cheap motoring a Teg provides!!

Cheers
Graham
Old 28 November 2002, 01:47 PM
pisshead
Scooby Newbie

I've got a CTR and from being on the Honda forums quite regularly i have heard that when buying one, check where or who the previous owner was on some of them, as some of them have been ex-track cars from these red letter/track day companies. Apart from that, no real probs... Its a Honda
Old 28 November 2002, 01:58 PM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

i just got an insurance quote on one £1400 ouch maybe not for me then
Old 28 November 2002, 07:20 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

The major thing to look out for is the synchromesh - an expensive repair if not carried out under warranty. Try some high speed, high rpm gear changes and look out for crunching.
The seats can sometimes be a little worse for wear too.
Don't be tempted by ones with 17inch wheels - it ruins the handling, 16 is the generally agreed biggest to have.

Other than that it's the usual things to look out for when buying a performance car - accident damage etc.

Servicing was changed to 9k or 12 months on the later ones. Never buy one without a FSH.

Get a good 'un and it won't let you down.
Old 28 November 2002, 09:12 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I had one for 6 months until it got written off worst luck, however it was good on fuel, very reliable, well built, dealers were ok/goodish. I really had few complaints, Im sure my scoob is costing a lot more to run. This was mine:
[img]
http://www.applus.plus.com/images/bigcars/teg2.jpg
[/img]
Id have another anyday, but been there done that so dont see my self actually going back as such - go for it
Old 29 November 2002, 12:14 PM
Derek M
Scooby Regular

Cheers Guys

What would the service intervals be on a 99 T reg? Iam hopefully going to look at a one tomorrow a 99 T reg in Black.

Is there much room in the back seats?

D.
Old 29 November 2002, 12:17 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Service intervals were increased to 9k miles from end of 98.
Back seats are useable, but not very comfortable, okay for short trips, but lets just say any passengers over 5ft tall give the impression they're humping a Recaro from behind...
Ive travlled in the back in a mates, wasnt the most comfortable thing in the world, but certianly useable, and if you VTEC all the time you wont hear the complaints

[Edited by SideShowBob - 11/29/2002 12:18:16 PM]