Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Fiat get down on their knees....

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2002, 06:12 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Punto 55SX - its driving position is like sitting at the Dinner table waiting for desert. I just cant get comfortable.

I've owned Uno Turbo - pronouce 'Oh-NO!' Nuff said.

I've driven a Cinque Sporting - strangely cheap motoring experience - the dash is pure minging, what about those heater controls. Looks like when your kids sticks some quality street sweets on the end and then Fiat put them in the 'heater control' plastic mold.

They are Italian - therefore tempramental and costly for what they are.

Thank god they have fantastic women in Italy to make up for Fiat.

[Edited by Marky-San - 11/10/2002 6:13:17 PM]
Old 11 October 2002, 06:34 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Modern Alfa build quaility isn't bad but the Fiat/Alfa dealers are crap.
There isn't much in " NEW " Ford / Alfa / Subaru biuld quality in my opinion and I have owned all three in the last three years. Alfa did have a problem with the Connect system in the early 147's and the early selespeeds.
Its the dealers that make the difference, have a small problem in the Scoob and its sorted no problem. The same problem in an Alfa and you will be ringing the dealers for weeks and then it'll have to go in three times before its fixed properly. One guy on the Alfa BBS had a gearbox problem, the car broke down 14 times before the dealers found a dodgy actuator. The part isn't expensive and is easy to find but the dealers couldn't be bothered so have destroyed the ownership experience and have lost a future customer.

Ford are better but still have a long way to go.

It doesn't matter how good the product is if you have no backup.

Alfa is still making profit but needs to split from the Fiat dealer network. GM has said it wants to split Alfa into a separate brand. Personaly I hope they do.

Just hope GM allows the separate brands to produce its own cars like Ford does with its brands.
If they go down the same route as VAG and just turn out versions of the same car it will mean the Alfa 157 will be a rebadged Vectra and will be a complete sales disaster.

Lee

[Edited by logiclee - 11/10/2002 6:36:33 PM]
Old 07 November 2002, 05:07 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Old 07 November 2002, 06:01 PM
co55ie
Scooby Regular

You would need to be a begger to want to buy one of their sheds. Awful quality cars across both the Alfa and Fiat range withy no exceptions. Can't wait for GM to buy them personally LOL next year Vauxhall will be the world F1 constructor's champion's. And I will be able to laugh at people in their Vauxhall Enzo's. Oh dear the stigma attached to owning a Ferrari isn't that just a souped up Vx220 mate.
Old 07 November 2002, 06:37 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I had to laugh at Clarkson on TG.

First, he complains that F1 is dull because Ferrari just win everything.

Then, he talks about how much trouble Fiat are in because nobody's buying their cars. He begs us to go out and buy a Fiat, because otherwise they'll have to spin off the productive bits, so General Motors gets Ferrari.

The answer is simple - DON'T buy a Fiat, LET them flog Ferrari to GM, then F1 becomes worth watching

A.
Old 07 November 2002, 06:53 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

Cool

LET them flog Ferrari to GM
I've got 125 euros left over from my holiday - will that be enough?
Old 07 November 2002, 07:00 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

looks as though the car used in the advertising pics has had a bodge paint job on the front door :-)
Old 07 November 2002, 07:13 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Sorry but if you've ever driven many Fiats you'll know how good they actually are. I've had 3 and loved every one. Far more fun to drive than most of the bland eurodrivel.

AllanB
Old 07 November 2002, 09:12 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Talking

LMAO @ GM
Old 07 November 2002, 09:35 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

"Awful quality cars across both the Alfa and Fiat range withy no exceptions"

have you owned them all then!! That is a sweeping generalisatio and although the build quality in a 147 is not as good as a Golf (i've owned both) it is still above "awful" and is damn site better to drive as well.As for the Stilo,you can say what you like for me,its utter shyte (not owned,just being a tad general )
Old 08 November 2002, 07:13 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Agreed, the styling is not very adventurous is it ! But who can say the Golf is anything but dull to look at and drive. Yes I've driven many miles in all Mks from 2 onwards.

AllanB
Old 08 November 2002, 07:16 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Allan: I learned to drive in my mum's Panda - 900cc's of pure nastiness.

Believe me, if you'd ever been through that, you'd never even consider a Fiat again. How any company could produce a machine that slow, noisy, unstable or uncomfortable is beyond me

At least my first car wasn't a Justy - it would have been sad if I'd ended up feeling the same way about Subaru...

A.
Old 08 November 2002, 09:02 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

hey,there is a cult following for the 126 and its even rallieed in Poland! I bet the Stilo is forgotten way before the 126
Old 08 November 2002, 11:16 AM
Mark Kwiatkowski
Scooby Regular

The Fiat 126 is used by about 90% of Polish Taxi drivers, i'm amazed that so many of them are still running out there!
Old 09 November 2002, 01:16 AM
augustus
Scooby Newbie

Agree with AllanB. Drove a Bravo for five years, terrific car, no problems at all. Looked at a Stilo but too much like a German car (eg. Golf) for me. Fiat need to do a Renault with more cars like the Coupe (no German manufacturer would have produced a car like that at the time). In the end bought an Impreza WRX, ugly but fantastic.
Most modern cars are good, it's just what suits you at the time.
Old 09 November 2002, 01:54 AM
augustus
Scooby Newbie

German cars are overpriced and overrated. Discuss?
Old 09 November 2002, 08:18 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Oh yes I'll agree the Panda is a sh1tbox. My ex used to drive 750 Panda wich I drove on the M25 once. Sheer terror !

AllanB
Old 09 November 2002, 10:51 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

fiat only own half of ferrari, not all of it.

I think if things werent going the way ferrari wanted, they could probably buy themselves back out.

Cant see ferrari going under in the near future with their waiting lists and experience enabling them to fulfill the orders.
Old 10 November 2002, 12:11 AM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

'German cars are overpriced and overrated. Discuss?'

Same could be said of Scoobies (at least where running costs are concerned). You could also generalise that 'Jap cars are bland and cheaply made' and not be any wider of the mark.

Yes, most German cars do not interest the sort of people who use Scoobynet etc., but that could be said of cars from any single nation.

My experience of Italian cars is limited to a few hired Cinquecentos and Puntos (the latter weren't too bad), a Tipo I took as a p/x once and kept for 10 days and an Alfa 164 that I used for a few months and is still on my drive now.

I've only once experienced worse service than from Alfa / Fiat dealers, and that was Exeter's Subaru dealer, who would have been the subject of a complaint to IM had I not sold the car. I'm not planning to buy Italian or Japanese again any time soon.

Fen
Old 10 November 2002, 01:24 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

At present I am running around in a Seat Marbella, which is a CHEAP SPANISH COPY of a Fiat Panda....
Old 10 November 2002, 07:53 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Wink

"They are Italian - therefore tempramental and costly for what they are"

I hope u are refering to the cars and not to Italians, there's nothing tempramental and costly about me!!! LOL

I hope fiat pull through, they had to shut a factory in Sicily down last month which isnt a good sign. Ive never owned a fiat but my dad has had a few and my bro has got a punto at the moment, none have been too much trouble, my uncle won a ralley in the early 80's with a Fiat 131.
Old 10 November 2002, 09:27 PM
Scoobs_4ever
Scooby Regular

F - faster
I - in
A - a
T - taxi

The thing the lets a FIAT down more than anything else is it dealer network. Absolute rubbish.

I've owned 4 FIATs including a 20V Turbo Coupe and the rush you get from the huge T28 Garrett Turbo is emense. Quicker 100mph than a Scoob.