Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Chimera

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2002, 08:16 PM
Mark Jackson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any good, considering buying one next year, will have about 13 grand , I reckon the 4.0 should do as I want performance with at MPG at least into double figures !

Any thoughts ?
Old 13 October 2002, 09:54 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

I'd have thought you'd get a decent early Chimaera for that money. From what I've heard they are more reliable than TVR's of old. Most are well cared for - have a look at Pistonheads for more info http://www.pistonheads.com/tvr/

Think you'll get well into double figures for mpg as long as you don't hit the loud pedal too much - which will be very hard. I'm hoping to get either a TVR in a couple of years time (Chim or Wedge)...
Old 13 October 2002, 10:02 PM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine ran one for 18 months or so; only problem AFAIK was a Fiesta trying to get inside with him at a roundabout; lots of expensive fibregalss repair and an XJR Sport as a hire car for a month!

He sold it for a new Elise and swapped that for a MY98 wagon (and some cash in the bank) if that's any help.

I test drove one (never even went out in my mate's) and was underwhelmed.

Fen
Old 13 October 2002, 10:53 PM
Mark Jackson
Scooby Regular

Underwhelmed ?

What by the performance or just the car as a whole.

Originally wanted a Cerbera but I think they would be a little on the expensive side for me, Chimera is just about feasable, also the engines seem to last longer than 30 k !
Old 13 October 2002, 11:48 PM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

Not nearly as quick as I'd expected. I was running a 911 at the time and it felt faster / better built / more characterful.

The dealer was desperate for me to try the 5 litre but I never did.

Fen
Old 14 October 2002, 08:59 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Drove a friends 4.0 and was underwhelmed by the performance. It just ain't that quick. Very dosile and forgiving and once you get used to the width it is a very nice car to drive. Great noise, lovely interior and cool looks.
But if you want quick go for a 5.0lt
Old 14 October 2002, 10:17 AM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

4.0 is a bit underwhelming (I've driven a couple), but the 4.5 and 5.0 are the Mutts nuts.

Kev - Go for the chimp, not a Wedge (unless its a pristeen SEAC !!!) - there really is no comparison in build quality - I owned a an '88 350 for 12 months, and they're badly put together....but that noise.....ahhhh......sorry about the mess !!!!!

Trending Topics

Old 14 October 2002, 04:23 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

Nice car, **** poor build quality - doesnt matter, get the engine started and who cares!!

Older ones often need paint in many places, quite a few with poor re-sprays, great car for the weekend, I will be getting one when I buy a house with a garage!!
Old 15 October 2002, 08:39 PM
Mark Jackson
Scooby Regular

Nah, mines going to be an everyday car as I only do 130 miles a week to work, will keep my GTI just in case and it will live outside.

Iwill jhave to drive one but a 4.0 240 bhp V8 sounds (on paper)anything but underwhelming in such a light car.
Old 15 October 2002, 09:11 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

As Ferris Bueller once said "If you have the means I highly recommend you picking one up". Ok, he was talking about a Ferarri but what the hell.

Anyway, here's my Bro's 285 BHP 4.5 Chim. Totally awesome sound when he guns it

Old 16 October 2002, 08:33 AM
ChimaeraDave
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Mark

As a current owner of a chim 450 (see pictures in markr1963's kind post) I can hopefully offer a few suggestions....

Basically you have to try before you buy; as they are all hand built the build quality and performance can vary quite a bit even for the same model and year.

As suggested earlier take a look at http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/ esp. he Chimaera section, plenty of friendly folk who will give good advice.

Also join the TVR Car Club (http://www.tvrcc.com) and get yourself down to a local section meeting. There you will be able to talk to owners and see their cars to get a better impression. You will also get a monthly magazine which has a large classifieds section.

As for comments regarding underwhelming performance only you can be the judge after you have tried for yourself. I doubt you'd be dissapointed.

markr1963 can certainly comment on chim 450 vs his WRX Wagon on some of the lanes around Cambridge :-) (OK it was dry with fairly straight roads ;-))

The build quaility of my chim is excellent (see pictures above) but it is 1999 model and is noticably better than a friends N -plate chim.

If I can help further let me know.

D

(aka FunkyGibbon on Pistonheads)

Old 17 October 2002, 10:53 PM
Mark Jackson
Scooby Regular

That is a stunning looking car !

I am just reading a book on TVR history to start my research, well I started in the eighties by having original motor show pictures of the 350/390/450 SEAC on my walls !

Have had a look on pistonheads, its what convinced me not to bother even looking at the Cerbera, fantastic machine but at the price I would be looking at I couldnt take the risk of engine aggro, hence the requirement for a nice reliable Rover V8 in the milder state of tune.

I shall keep you posted, and many thanks for all the posts !
Old 18 October 2002, 08:30 PM
jonny32
Scooby Regular

hi mark ,how about the v8"s" .same 4.0l v8 bit cheaper than the griff. cheers jon
Old 18 October 2002, 08:47 PM
jonny32
Scooby Regular

try peninsula automotive in devon + david gerald tvr both very good