Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
... is it a bargain or not?

Fen
Old 13 October 2002, 12:06 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Very under rated like most performance nissans. It's very very very fast and IMHO gets overlooked because of the Supra being that little bit faster and easier on the eye (but compare the price of the supra versus the 300zx).

I've only driven one on a couple of occasions so i'm mainly going on stuff i've heard. They are expensive to run and can get even more pricey once the mileage get high as replacement parts aren't cheap and there aren't many around to salvage from.

If you plan on modding it there are loads of options and it's easy to get seriously big power from them. Loads of nice styling kits around too if you aren't too keen on the looks.

Interiors are typical Jap plastic but for Jap plastic it's pretty good (far better than most).

I'd be driving one now except there isn't much space in the back for a baby seat and a pram so i'm stuck with the scoob till the sprog learns to walk.
Old 13 October 2002, 03:02 AM
M3 Evo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If you can live with the madallion man image its an absolute bargin. Fastest available car for the money and reliable. There is a buying guide in the months EVO mag.
Old 13 October 2002, 06:28 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Check out www.300zx.co.uk

Tony

[Edited by TonyBurns - 10/13/2002 6:29:10 PM]
Old 13 October 2002, 08:49 PM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

Thanks folks; it was EVO that got me thinking.

Until recently I've always sworn I'd never buy Jap, but since I now own a Scooby I've already eaten my words and I can buy a Nissan (or Honda or Toyota) to replace it.

I'm a bit concerned about the "expensive to run" comment. Are we talking more than a MY99? Even if it costs the same, my problem with the RB5 is that it isn't worth the runing costs, not that I can't afford it, but I wouldn't want to get involved with something even more expensive.

Fen
Old 14 October 2002, 12:04 AM
CC
Scooby Regular

I own one at the moment (UK TT, manual).

In comparison with my old WRX (*imo*), the 300 has a more sporty feel to it; it's much lower and stiffer with less lag. Probably no quicker off the mark but would kill my old scoob after 50mph.

They do have a 'feel good' factor to them. Sorry, but I don't agree that the latter 300zx's have a medallion man image, or atleast I dont get that impression. The only comments i've had are favourable, lots more compliments than my scoob although that may be due to how common scoobs are nowadays. i actually got asked by one of our office girls (a looker too ) to take her out for a spin in the 300, of course I obliged...never even noticed the scoob but then again there are several alreadly in the car park (including a cracking stiV).

Running costs are a nightmare. You'll need an electronic/mechanical engineering degree to even consider working on the engine and the parts aint cheap, mechanics with 300zx skills are rare.

My advice would be to find a good manual example, pay that bit extra for good one.

I prefer it to my scoob, but then again i have no taste as prefer me old Cosworth to the 300!

[Edited by CC - 10/14/2002 12:07:49 AM]
Old 14 October 2002, 01:33 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

CC. I hope to be saying the same thing about liking a 300ZX better than the scoob soon.

I must have pretty poor taste too cuz i already prefer my old 200sx to the scoob. Just a more sporty feel to the nissans than the scoobs. Way more fun to drive IMO.
Old 14 October 2002, 07:35 AM
Flyboy-F33
Scooby Regular

I owned a UK 300ZX a few years ago. I disagree with a previous comment on the interior quality, mine was leather/alcantara and was superb, but it was only 2 years old at the time. Most of the imports dont have that option. IMO I wouldnt go for an import (although I have in imported STI) as service history and mileage are important. There is a big (expensive) service due at around 58K
which will cost around £1000 but apart from that, running costs will probably be the same or less that a well driven Subaru. Budget for new turbo's at 100,000 but they will go longer if not thrashed.
Old 14 October 2002, 10:08 AM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps,

My taste may be questionable too because I prefer my 944 Turbo as well as my old 911's and R5GTT to the Scoob; overrated and too expensive to run for a glorified mini-cab IMHO.

I'm a bit wary of the 300 though as they are getting old and are complex, but my shortlist othrwise is:
MR2 Roadster
MX5
Clio 172
Civic Type R
Pug 306 GTi6

I just don't know what I want.

Fen
Old 14 October 2002, 11:32 AM
SRRAE
Scooby Newbie

I agree with with some of the things you are saying but disagree with with some too.

I have had a 300ZX for over 18 months and I have had little problems with mine. Yes Nissan rip you off for parts, at one time they charged £25 to look up a part number for a Jap car :S but after a lot of complaining they dropped it.
Get over to the 300ZX comunity at www.300zx.co.uk and there you will find load of places recomended for work on the Z and places to get uprated parts and for less cost.
There is some one who is breaking a Z all the time and parts there are cheap. There are a large number of Scrapyards in Manchester with Z's in.
As for the 60,000 mile service. Yes its expensive, if you goto Nissan.
You can order the parts needed from the US at half the cost about £250 I think it is from Courtesy Nissan, and only takes 2 days if its in stock to get here. Thats faster than Nissan. Then take the parts to a number of places to put it on, including a few people on the forum who have now set up workshops to do this work.
There are loads of people and busunesses willing to help you and at a fraction of the cost. I bought a clutch. Nissan stock 280+VAT = £329, which can hold about 320bhp. I got one from a good ZX (and others) source for £365 and hold 450bhp.

The most expensive costs are, engine rebuild, again shop around, and turbo replacments, because there are 2 of them and a bugger to get hold of.
My car has done 155,000 miles with its original turbos and is still going strong.

If you are seriously thinging about getting one, ask on the www.300zx.co.uk forum and I am sure some one will come with you to look at a car. As you know some one who owns the car knows what to look for.

As for the speed. Yes Subarus would be faster 0-60 but 50+ a ZX will win, because thats what it is designed for. Plus it is so easy to modify upto 400bhp. Exhaust, Chip, Air filter and your there, and again, people on the forum can get you the stuff cheaper. I got an Apex'i filter for £125 delivered. Normal £188+p&p.

I hope I will see you soon on the ZX forum.

Stuart