Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

BMW 3 Series Dash.......

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2002, 12:52 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone know how these come out so I can install the ICE myself instead of paying some monkey a shed load of cash..

Had a quick look (about 2 mins) and not figured it out.. Failing this it looks like I'll need to convince the dealers to tell me..
Old 23 September 2002, 01:15 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Err, have you brought yourself a Haynes manual. Probably the best place to start

Good luck.

[Edited by Miles - 9/23/2002 1:16:11 PM]
Old 23 September 2002, 02:04 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Miles, thanks for the suggestion, I'd not thought about that.. Can't you tell I'm cheap..
Old 24 September 2002, 01:39 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

What generation 3 series is it??

I can help with the E36 dash/everything but not if its an E46 (although the mechanics are probably very similar!)

Be warned though, BMW trim isnt the easiest to refit! - belive me, I know!. Unless your good at stuff like this get a pro to do it.
Old 24 September 2002, 01:48 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Tom, I'm usually pretty good so I'm willing to give it a go.. It is the E36 that I'm asking about (i forgot to list it first time round) - Can you please post / mail me instructions?
e-mail as per profile.

Thanks...
Old 25 September 2002, 04:43 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

Right - depending on what your doing you will need to do the following to give you any kind of chance.

Under the glovebox there is a panel held up by two screws that actually hold the glovebox up as well, remove these and slide the panel out, expect a large bundle of wires to be visable, if you have a Clifford alarm chances are this will be fitted in this space. You have to air vents either side of the glovebox button (button on post 95 cars, clip on pre), point both of these down and then pull them out, they should come out no bother. Remove screw from each air vent. OPen and empty glovebox, remove all visable screws (4 I think), the glovebox will be loose, pull it forward SLOWLY as it is attached by two wires, one for the glovebox light and one for the torch, sit the glovebox on your lap and unplug the cables, no need to label as they only go in one socket. Glovebox is now removed, here you will find plenty of space for TV boxes and other stuff and you now have fairly easy access to the rear of the head unit.

BE CAREFULL AS THERE A LOT OF WIRES HERE!!

What I did next was remove the entire center consul, armrest fowards - this is trick and takes time. Handbrake and gear gator both clip out eaily. Some of the bolts bolt through the handbrake so be careful, one common problem is remembering where all the sensors and bulbs go - everything is illuminated in the E36, even my gear **** so I would lable things here as they dont sit where you think they go, the handbrake sensor is a common problem, it breaks very easily and it looks like it doesnt belong anywhere!, so remember where your taking everything from. Remove both ashtrays by lifting them out and removing the screws, place srews seperately as they are different sizes for different places. Remove hazord light button - again, be carefull as the little springs in here break and BMW will only sell you a new unit at £21. Basically remove all you can, definately remove the OBC and unplug from the loom. The screws for all dash panels run under the dash in a seem, the drivers side is obvious, you can see the screws - take them out.

Now depending on how far you want to go here your at a pretty good stage here, all the dash panels removed, glovebox and OBC out, center console out, now just remove the kick panels covering the floorwell speakers and pop the trim up that runs along the inside of the car and you have a very easy channel to run cables to the rear of the car - DONT FORGET that the battery is in the boot of the E36. Only remove the center console if your palnning on Playstations and LCD screens etc etc.

I did my install with the car in the above state, I also fitted a Nokia hands free kit in and you would never tell I had the car apart. The resof the dash including the pod is all easy enough, its all in front of you so to speak, I wouldnt recommend going any further as you dont need to and you already have enough bits to re-install!. It all goes back together the same as it came out - Do it in the same order!. Be very ccarefull with the panels as they are known to fold and crease fairly easily!

Tyr and run the cables inside the BMW looms and bundles, the bundles are easily unclipped and you can ad cables to them, there are earth points everywhere. Dont leave cables stranded on their own as this is just bad!, the heating system in the E36 is complex and should be left well alone, you will see all this when you take the dash out, it looks like a power station!

Thats as much as I can be arsed to type now, email me if you have any questions or have a look on www.e36coupe.com, its a new site but they guy who runs it has an amazing install in his E36.

Or you could just get a shop to do it!!!

What are you installing?? - are you confident with stuff like this?, the reason I ask is that the E36 is exspensive to put right if you bugger some wiring! - all the best and let me know how you get on!.