Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Group Buy - Diesel Tuning Bromley Unit

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2002, 01:17 PM
smanning
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone interested?

I have a TDI A4 and am going to get a unit fitted to my TDI 130 which should bring it up to 155 bhp and give loads more torque.

I have spoken to the nearest South East retailer and he has hinted that as they have only just started distributing then a discount may be available if a group buy was arranged.

The fitment is very simple and there is no replacement of the ECU. This is only for diesels but for between 300 - 400 quid you can enjoy up to 35" improvement in torque and power.

The website is www.bromleystuning.com if you would like further information but most new common rail diesels are catered for ie VW, Audi, BMW, Ford, Skoda, etc etc and the results look impressive.

Any interest?
Old 23 August 2002, 03:25 PM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Steve

There is a TUV approved box, will get some details as its the one to have, developed by AMD I believe.

Talk soon
Jase
Old 23 August 2002, 03:36 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Could be wrong here but I know that the 'Hopa' module I had on my last but one A4 Tdi looks very similar in appearance to certain models that both Bromleys and AMD supply (or used to supply).

Hopa was TUV appoved and had the benefit of two tuning screws to fine tune for your own car

On balance, of the three diesel boxes / chips I've had, this was the best value and you could unplug it - a BIG bonus !
Old 25 August 2002, 08:40 PM
smanning
Scooby Regular

Hi guys

I have now had the unit fitted. WOW!

Well I stayed to understand where/ how it was fitted and I must admit when I initially went for a little test run in it my face said it all... I was dissapointed..... BUT

I drove back home and it seemed a little bit more lively, and now I have driven around a little today it goes like ****!

Cant get over the difference..... it makes a MASSIVE improvement in torque and will now accelerate past the red line if you want it to... no flat spot up top. I cant really understand why it wasnt so good at first, but logic says it must take a little while for the ECU to adjust.

Talking to the guy who fits them, it seems that this unit (bromley is uk distributor) is built in Austia and is actually an option at Audi / VW garages in Austia and Germany. As usual it is the British dealer network preventing this happening over here. The plugs that fit this are original manifacturers units so there must have been some imput from the companys themselves. Even my dealer said that a lot of his cars had them fitted and they tuned a blind eye, and that the Bromley unit was the one to go for.

I understand there are units to fit BMW/ Ford/ and lots of other models as well as Vans and trucks... it really seems to work well.

I am going to have it laptop tuned in a couple of weeks... make it even better.

Well if any of you are interested in getting something like this fitted to your diesel then let me know. I know the guy who has fitted it has told me that if anyone gets fitted through him then there will be a pound note discount, and any kind of group buy will mean big discount.

I say it is definately worth it, and I have no reason to be pushing them. Definately think my car will give a standard PD150 golf a good run for its money now, and with 4WD it should have the upper hand

Jase.... your golf would defiantely be much improved with this

Incidently the unit can be bypassed easily, and can be transferred to any other simular engined vehicle. Not sure about the other units youguys have mentioned here, but it sounds very similar to the bromley unit. Could it be the same but different distributor?

The book price for the PD diesel unit is £399 plus vat and fitting although he has discountd this. Seems a lot cheaper than a subaru related upgrade and seems to have more impressive results for everyday driving. I will let you know if I get an improvement in economy.

... thats all for now folks. Let me know if you are interested.

[Edited by smanning - 8/25/2002 8:46:15 PM]
Old 25 August 2002, 09:00 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Another tuned diesel convert.

You'll be getting me all misty eyed to go back to diesel next !

Seriously though, I used to get totally fed up trying to convince people on the Evo forum about how bloody good tuned diesels were.
Their loss and your gain - enjoy!
Old 26 August 2002, 01:53 PM
smanning
Scooby Regular

he he.... well I miss my scoob. It had a link and was fun at about 275 bhp, but being so concious about the cost of running the damn thing, I seldom drove it how it should be. Now I hope to get the best of both worlds!!!
Old 26 August 2002, 08:54 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

does it knacker your warranty?
Old 27 August 2002, 07:55 AM
smanning
Scooby Regular

thats a difficult one... and I did look into it before I had it fitted.

The dealers have told me they dont mind them on there, and they would turn a blind eye. Personally I would probably just take it out if it needed any warranty work doing on it. It is only the size of a *** box and one lead...

After all... the same unit is fitted at german / austrian dealers so there cant be a lot wrong with it.
Old 27 August 2002, 09:21 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Question

smanning -- in a few months I'll be doing the turbodiesel shuffle on my company wheels (probably a Mondeo TDCi) and I've read a fair bit about tuning boxes in Diesel Car etc.

I'm interested to find out more about your driving impressions. Does your car feel stronger at any throttle opening, and throughout the rev range? Or is the difference only really when you floor it? Does it feel the same, or is the engine a bit lumpier? Let us know how it feels.

I remember a Scoobynetter had a tuning box on his Golf TDi 110, he was very pleased with it but said it was a little lumpier in town. I wonder if that's because of older-generation ECU / injection tech?
Old 27 August 2002, 10:45 AM
smanning
Scooby Regular

hello brickboy

no its not lumpier at all. I would say it is a bit more violent... as like in the scooby when the turbo cuts in. But the torque is greatly improved... particularly low down and it is less reluctant to rev now. In 6th gear now it will fly from about 60 to 120 without peaking out.

So in all in enhanses the driving experience.

Old 01 September 2002, 12:49 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

steve,

any more info on this? get my oil burner this month when the scoob is sold

Greg
Old 03 September 2002, 07:34 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Question

How much fine tuning can be done via the laptop?

I'm getting an Ibiza tdi 130 at the end of October and have been planning on getting it chipped and exhausted asap. DMS quote 168 brake for this upgrade on the 130 Golf, so I'm expecting a similar figure on the Ibiza. Do you know if the tuning box can be mapped to take into account other mods?

Cheers
Old 09 September 2002, 11:32 AM
smanning
Scooby Regular

bttt

think i have replied to you robertio.

You can look on the website, or mail me direct.

My distributor is Clean Image in chelmsford. Mention my name and you should get a good deal. 01245 350035, speak to Peter or Gary.

Let me know how you get on.