A4 Tdi, 320 D, Golf PdTDi150???

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2002, 08:43 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello there!

Im currently doing 28000 miles a year in my scoob, but we are moving house and the mileage will be going upto about 36000 mies a year.

So mthinks maybe the scoob isnt the car for the job as my fuel bill is about 350 a month now!

which of the above diesels would be best to own??

or any other suggetions?

Good thing if i do get a diesel i will be able to
get a track car with the money ill save!

Lee
Old 16 August 2002, 09:36 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Lee P

2 Questions

1. How much have you got to spend
2. Is it your own money
3. Will you miss / do you need 4wd in winter ?
Old 16 August 2002, 09:47 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi again Lee,
For that mileage I would go for an A4 2.5 TDi quattro.
AmD can tune it further to a seriously nice car.
It may not have it round bends but you will be in BMW 330D territory and scalp many a Scooby on A roads and motorways.
The Golf would be fun but may feel a bit small for loads of travelling.

Nick
Old 16 August 2002, 09:58 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Hmmm Flat 4x4, to be honest 4wd can be a needy option for me as some of the roads in winter that i travel never get treated which does worry me on the BMW front.

But saying that the winters are quite mild these days.

it is my own money but i can spend 400 a month for a car.

Butty

2.5TDi quattro would be lovely but i think they are still quite expensive.

Lee
Old 16 August 2002, 10:19 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

If you can stretch to a 330d then go for that, if not I'd have the PD150 out of the rest of the bunch
Old 16 August 2002, 10:26 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

LEE P just done a quick calculation about your budget, and if you are happy to pay £400/month, then with a three year loan your looking at being able to borrow between £12,500-£13,000. If you want to stretch the repayments you can borrow more, say if it was a four year loan, but remember the car would have 145,000 miles on it after four years.

I don't know what sort of deposit you are using but as an alternative to the three cars you mentioned, and would like a new 2.5 V6 TDi have a look at the Skoda Superb, £20,400 on the road. and that's including metallic paint, climate control, cruise, 6 cd autochanger, all electrics, etc etc. Or for a little less the 1.9 PD130 is £17,700 OTR. Drop me a line at refropatton@hotmail.com with your phone number to talk at length about this if you like.
Old 16 August 2002, 10:38 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Lee P

I have owned

97 A4 Quattro 1.9 Tdi (chipped to 135bhp)
00 A4 Quattro 2.5 Tdi (chipped to 185bhp)

If the 2.5 is too pricey there is some good news !

The 130 Tdi A4 and A3 are both available now with Quattro drive
and this chips very easily and safely to 150/155bhp. As a matter of fact, this month's Audi driver has an ABT A4 130 which did 0-60 in 7.4 - very marginally slower than the Quattro V6 I had.

If you do go 4wd (I always regret not having 4wd when I come across bad roads in my travels 30k p.a) remember that the mpg will not be as good. My 1.9 did 40 overall and the 2.5 did 35 - both chipped - but you can add 5mpg to both of these in front wheel drive guise.

Old 16 August 2002, 05:02 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

I'd recommend the Golf, lots of bang for your buck (oh, and I happen to have one ). If you really need 4WD, then the A3 130TDi Quattro.

However, with that mileage, any car is going to depreciate pretty savagely, so what about buying a something 1-2 years old, like an A4, or Golf 130PD? This way you could minmise your loss on depreciation even if you change the car frequently. Then again, if you're going to buy new and keep it for 200,000 miles, depreciation probably isn't an issue.

If you really have to have new, bear in mind the Skoda looks like value, but watch the resale values. IMHO the Seat Leon 1.9TDi is a better bet. May be only 110bhp like the Skoda, but as has been mentioned I'm sure AMD (www.auto-amd.com) could sort this for you

Cheers
Tim
Old 18 August 2002, 10:04 AM
Seamus300
Scooby Regular

I currently own a Golf GT PDi (130) and a 320D Touring, we went to these from an RB5 and a UK300. I commute 80 miles each way everyday in the BM and the fuel consumption averages about 50mpg with a range of about 500-550 miles! It has more than halved my fuel costs (which were running at £600pm), the car tax is £130, my insurance dropped 2 thirds! I have no regrets, I miss the perfomance but with the money I saved on fuel alone I bought a Microlight so happy all round either. We fill the Golf up once a month, paid under 14K for a 2000 model with leather, and every extra possible, bargain! I would recommend either, all boils down to personal preferance.
Old 18 August 2002, 11:18 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

I agree.

Like with any car they have their strengths and weaknesses and personal preference makes the choice.

Most enthusiasts also don't keep their car beyond 2 / 3 years and you swap when it's "time for a change"

I went Subaru to powerful diesels to Subaru and who knows will probably go back to diesel again in a couple of years. By which time all the arguments about the (now very minor) diesel downsides will have disappeared.
Old 19 August 2002, 12:36 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi folks!

Well ive been doing my sums and roughly calculated over a 3 year period id save around 8500 quid! over running my scoob!

That just a guestimate as i havent had a quote for insurance yet.

i think im settling for a new 320d which are currently 150bhp
and 310 nm of torque at 2000 rpm.

i know its not a huge saving of pennys if you brake it down to a weekly basis but id rather have it in my account than shell, Privilege, Goodyear etc LOL

I fancy the golf but ive been the golf route many moons ago and having a little girl id rather have a saloon, plus i think the 3 series looks classier

The finance deals at BMW pi55 all over audi finance thats a big factor too!

i drove the 130tdi audi and 2.5tdi quattro and i wasnt happy with the ride qualty, felt very bouncy and the audi steering is as wolley as ever, the 2.5 felt very nose heavy .

Plus ive always been a fan of BMw slick gearchange.

with the extra ill save im going to get myself a cheap track car, as you cant really go hell for leather safely these days and i prefer doing my fast driving on track without having to worry about plod.

Also having seen a coupkle of bent motors on trackdays id rather have something ess expensive so i wot havve to worry about trackday insurance as it keeps creeping up.

im off to the BMW dealers in the morning to see if we can strike a deal! who knows!

Lee
p.s thanks for all previous comments and advice on the said models!
Old 19 August 2002, 08:39 AM
Jon Jonzz
Scooby Regular

There are some good finance deals out there - did one last week at 3.75% (APR of around 7.00%). Remember dealers normally quote flat rates - the true Rate (APR) is about double that!

Audi Finance are a bit erratic - but can be competitive when they want.
Old 19 August 2002, 03:27 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Well the whole diesel milarky has gone out of the window!

Been to the dealers today, BMW that is and the best price they can give me is 9500 quid, there is no way im going to part with my beloved for that kinda money.

I know they loose a fair amount and its done alot of miles but its worth more than that to me.

By the time i specced the car to something i could live w8ith it was nearer 25000 quid.

So my car and 15500 quid to change! that is a **** load of pertrol and quite a few trackdays.

The other thing in the flesh the beemer wasnt as nice as the audi, and niether of them drove as well as my scoob, i lkove the fel of it and after a brisk run over shap it felt great!

I thought why am i getting rid of this car? certainly not to get 15500 of more debt thats for sure!

im off to clean it now so it feels good again if you know what i mean!

im glad in a way, as i would hate to follow this years network q in a diesel and not a scoob!

plus the lack of 4WD is a issue for me, ive got everything i want in my scoob its just the fuel but what the hell!

Lee
Old 19 August 2002, 04:29 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Why not keep the Scoob and don't use on the commute unless its icy / slippy, then get a cheap but sound ex-fleet TDi ?

A6's run their miles very well and you can chip them remember.

The only other option I can think of (which I VERY NEARLY DID!)
is to get a Skoda.... seriously

You can buy a 51 reg Octavia RS with under 10k.
I was offered my car (99MY 53k) and £2500 to swap.

You get Audi build, 35mpg on the motorway, traction control and endless tuning possibilities. 225bhp (like Audi TT) is a £500 re-chip away. And leather trim, 6 CD, climate etc etc

If you're prepared to think laterally, don't rule it out just because of the name.
Old 19 August 2002, 05:09 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Why not buy a cheapo ex-fleet diesel (306 D-turbo?), keep the Scoob but only use it when wet, AND buy a track day car

Got to be cheaper than forking out £15K???
Old 19 August 2002, 07:40 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Or for an off the wall suggestion, keep using the scooby, accept the depreciate as probably being less than on a £25k BMW and get an LPG conversion
Old 19 August 2002, 11:34 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

The unfortunate thing with with keeping the scoob and getting a diesel and a track car is we just dont have the room.
to be honest my other hlf has a....wait for it....Rover 220 sdi, but i hate driving the effin thing!
Ive owned the car from new so i may as well just keep it and enjoy it rather than getting insults from greedy salemen!
Polar!
i dont think the Lpg would work as i would loose boot space which i need for work and the nipper! dont keep the nipper in the boot or out its for sll the gubbins!
To be honest tonight i feel more at ease knowing that i cant change or want to change the scoob!
Think i would of missed it more than i thought, sad or what eh?
Anyway i shouldnt be moaning as i put 80% of the running cost against the business and that includes 80% of the total capital loss
im still a scooby owner Yipee

[Edited by LEE P - 8/19/2002 11:37:43 PM]
Old 22 August 2002, 08:26 AM
smanning
Scooby Regular

hello chap..

I had a modded MY00 which I sold earlier on this year due to the mileage / cost. I went to an Audi A4 TDI Quattro. Must say, although the fun factor obiously isnt there is a really nice car, and its definately not slow. You have to spend a bit to get the handling though... drive one with the sport pack and 17" wheels and it is a different car all round.

Also you will be pleased to know managed to get 550-600 Miles out of a tank... and thats at speeds of between 80 and 110 mph.

Residuals are much much better than the scoobs, so I went for a new one. You can get a nice body kit too so they look the part. Forget Imports unless you want to wait months, and you cant find them second hand privately either.

Done 5000 miles now so am gonna chip it for that extra bit of oomph!

Doing about 2500 miles a month I reckon I have saved about £40 a week in fuel costs alone, so that more than covers what I had to borrow. I reckon this will last 10 years, more than enough time for me to save a bit and buy a toy to play with in the future... hmmm like an RS focus or an STI

[Edited by smanning - 8/22/2002 8:36:32 AM]
Old 22 August 2002, 03:46 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Smile

hiya Lee mate, I was having the same prob, bought a saab, noticed an immediate difference in fuel bills every month....am thinking of possibily getting an oil burner myself to replace the saab.

It's nice to have a break from the scoob every day, you appreciate it more on a friday/weekend

shunty
Old 22 August 2002, 03:52 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

I had a Golf GT TDI for 6 months whilst between cars and the difference in fuel bills was unbelievable, those buggers do 550mls a tank if you dont kane them!

I would highly recmommend these, it had the lot, heated seats, AC, armrest in the front and those cool blue dials and of course the solid VW build.

Ive only ever driven 2 diesel cars, the Golf and 530d which was so quick I thougt it had been modded!.

Golf Golf Golf all day for me.

BMW is nice but bad rep and boring looks on the saloon, looks like a Honda. Golf resale will be good, they are in mass demand!!....for a reason.

[Edited by TomM - 8/22/2002 3:52:26 PM]
Old 23 August 2002, 08:18 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Everyone!

well right off the BMW,
decided a4 is to grown up! Im only 29 just turned i might add!

So im getting another A3 A3 Tdi130 quattro. black leather, climate, Bose sound system, and a ferw other goodies

that way i get to keep 4wd, i knoow its a haldex set u=p before you all tell me, but its got to be better than 2wd in the snow.

Plus 50 ish MPg sounds good and my other half can have it when ive finished with it as i promised her my last one!

Lee
Old 23 August 2002, 09:03 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

LeeP

A good choice

You know that you can get a plug in tuning box for this as well don't you? - you can leave the Audi ECU as it is and plug it in as and when you want to !

Risk of a bit of over-fuelling with some (smoke under hard accel)but they definitely deliver. I think Bromley Tuning has about the best range of these kind of devices.

You should end up with about 155bhp and 240 lb/ft for £400
Old 23 August 2002, 10:26 AM
smanning
Scooby Regular

Lee

"a4 is a bit old"??

well I is 24 and I got one! Doesnt look so old man with a bodykit on it!

the 1.9 TDI is good, and flat 4x4 is right, Bromleys look to be the best bet, I am getting my mod soon.
Old 23 August 2002, 11:35 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Lee - if you don;t mind saying, how much are you paying for the A3?
Old 23 August 2002, 11:12 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Flat 4x4 i didnt know actually, i hve never delved into diesl tuning!
But from now on ill be taking a interest.

Smanning hope i didnt offend you!

i saw a black A4 today with 17's on and that looked the business!
I just like the size of the A3, specially if i get a set of S3
alloys!

Mungo, its only a couple of months old so alot

Lee
Old 24 August 2002, 08:56 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

LeeP

The three diesel mods (all on Audis) I've had were:-

'Hopa' module on a A4 110 Quattro: 135bhp; 207 lb/ft
'Tuning Box' on V6 150 Quattro: 178bhp; 279 lb/ft
'Oettinger' chip on above: 185bhp; 285 lb/ft
The last one did 0-60 in under 7.5 and 140mph

Buy Audi Driver magazine (WHS normally have it) for all the Audi tuning possibilities - this month they have an ABT chipped 130 A4 which did 0-60 in 7.4. There you go !
Old 25 August 2002, 08:32 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hiya Flat 4x4!
Had a run out in my new motor on saturday for a couple of hours!
it drives spot on, more relaxed than the scoob obviously, but it felt great!
proper switches that have a feel they would last foreever and a nice leather interior, the bose system sounds brill.
It also has cruise control, once set to a speed you can increase or decrerase the revs/speed on the indicator stalk, to save preesig the throttle, at a set speed of 90 it was doing 43mpg now thats more like it!
cruising in slow traffic the computer was reading in the 60 plus MPG.
pick it up saturday!
ive done the scoob thing for now, nearly 2 years and 53000 miles of happy mototring.
next fast car i buy or one to mod will be for track only, as thats the best place to go fast safely, and doing trackdays has made me realise this! so im quite happy chugging in my diesel!
Lee

[Edited by LEE P - 8/25/2002 8:43:12 PM]
Old 25 August 2002, 08:52 PM
smanning
Scooby Regular

Hi Lee

offend me... not at all It depends on personal choice!!

Black A4 on 17" 5 Spoke wheels.... if you are in essex it could well be me. I am the only black one with the wheels and bodykit in the area I have seen so far!

Glad you are pleased with your new car... sure you have made the right decision. I have had scoobs for a couple of years, and whilst I am missing it and saving my pennies for one for fun in a couple of years, I dont miss the long journeys in it!

I have just put a Bromleys unit in mine.... makes it even better than it was. Injects a bit more fun into the journey
Old 25 August 2002, 08:56 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

LeeP

Who says you can run a Diesel Quattro Audi at track days ?

I did !

On a sprint circuit I was only 0.5 second per lap slower than an S4 - lots of low and mid range 'grip n grunt !'
Old 25 August 2002, 09:02 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Smanning i know what you mean about long journeys in the scoob, i injured my back skiing a few years ago and it doesent half play up afetr a couple of hours in the scoob!

went to corwall in it and i new about it! im in cumbria.

im just going to use it in its standard for at presert.
Then i might have a tinker!

i must admit the black A4 TDi looks the muts nuts! ive seen a couple of black ones with 17's on but not with the Bodykit.

They had a denim blue a4 the same as yours and that looked the business, i drove it but i wasnt ready to change at that point, but you know when your pi55ed off seeing the petrol light coming on all the time its time for a change!

Lee

Quick Reply: A4 Tdi, 320 D, Golf PdTDi150???