Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

New Shape Beetle?

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2002, 11:28 AM
Jodster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got any experience of the new shape Beetle, especially the 1.8 Turbo version? Also I've heard of a new 180bhp TurboS model in the States but don't know if it's due over here.

Would like to hear from any owners or roadtesters who have opinions on everything from handling and performance to comfort and residuals.

Thanks.
Old 14 August 2002, 01:44 PM
beefola
Scooby Regular

Run! Run like the wind!!!
Seriously though, just get a Golf with the same engine (the new Anniversary) and have more room. The new Beetle is nothing more than a compromised Golf. Handling aint special either.
If you really MUST have a car with a vase on the dashboard, get a Golf and a bit of superglue...
Beef
P.S. Discard comments if you're female

[Edited by beefola - 8/14/2002 1:44:22 PM]
Old 14 August 2002, 01:57 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

But if you get a carbon fibre vase - it improves the handling

Old 14 August 2002, 05:05 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hmm, well I drove the 2.0l extensively over the last coupple of weeks in Canada. Thoughts are as follows:

Pros:
Rides very well
Nice and airy in the front (stupidly tiny in the back)
Well built, pleasant interior
Bloody good stereo (in the car I drove, I think it was standard)
OK handling, but dull and too soft for me. No throttle adjustability
Smooth motorway car

Cons:
Slow
Appalling blind spots and the side mirrors are way too small
Small boot (but not as tiny as everybody says, quite)
Pointless rear seats
Dodgy image
Badly affected by cross winds

Don't get the auto (4 speed only)

I agree, its just an impractical Golf, but it does have character at least. I wouldn't get a Golf either though - get a Seat Leon.

I think they now do a V5 Beetle now by the way...
Old 15 August 2002, 02:41 PM
Jodster
Scooby Regular

Ta
Old 15 August 2002, 09:00 PM
Burt
Scooby Regular

I had one for 10 months before my scoob and would agree with tractor. Buy a scoob and have done with it
Old 16 August 2002, 12:03 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

I have a 2.0 (pansy 115 bhp) and think it is a pretty cool motor - especially if you go for one of the faster models - The look on somepoeples face when they get beaten by a lightly modded cutey likkle beekle is quite amusing...

There is a 1,4, 1.6, 2.0 , 1.8T (which did have 150bhp but now has 180 I think), 2.3 V5 (170bhp), 3.2 RSi (250bhp I think - but 50k new, c. 30k used) and a 1.9 turbodiesel. There is no Turbo S over here - instead they have just introduced a V5 Sport - which looks identical to the US Turbo S IIRC.

As with the rest of the VAG lineup the 1.8T engines are quick but not lightening fast, but they are pretty tunable (it is in essence the same engine as in the faster TT and S3). The V5 is fairly quick out of the box, but is less (easily, at least) tuneable. I beleive the V5 has uprated brakes over the rest of the range, not sure about the 1.8T. They have a few more extras (the V5 has nice 17s as standard) - both have a cool spoiler at the top of the window that raises at a certain speed, a la Porsche.

Actually, the Beetle suspension is an uprated version of the Golf Gti's - a lot of people have said that it handles a great deal better than the Golf (but I cant compare it myself, not driven the Golf). What may put some people off is the seemingly odd seating position - long dash, far from the windscreen etc... There are blind spots as mentioned above but these arent to bad - and actually, due to the space and amount of glass, I find the rest of the visibility quite good.

Cosmetically the arches are so huge that they are crying out for big wheels. You get 16s as standard (may be steelies on the base models I think) and 17s on the V5 but they swallow 19s with no problem and when lowered. 20s go on too with little or no problems too I beleive but that may be a little too extreme for a daily driver, and pricey over here.

I had 19s on mine with 35 profile rubber and the handling was so much better and the ride was fine, if not better, than standard (firm, but I liked it). I was about to get it lowered when the wheels got nicked .

If you are not going to modify it then it will not give you as much perfromance or driving excitement as one of the rally slag cars...but If you are going to mod it I would definitely choose it over a golf - same perfromance, more kit (when I bought mine at least) such as A/c for less money, more character and personality, and the ability to be more creative with your styling.

RSi:

V5

Modded:

How I had mine before I woz robbed...

Old 16 August 2002, 09:19 AM
Jodster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

John, that's an excellent post. Thanks very much.
Old 16 August 2002, 08:14 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Smile

No worries.
Old 16 August 2002, 10:45 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Get a choice of flowers for your vase here

http://www.newdimensions.com/newbeetle/page_2.html