Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Honda S2000 - any views?

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2002, 04:01 PM
Woz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone driven one? how does it drive i.e power delivery, handling, steering. Any flat spots in the power curve etc. Not interested in Scoob is better stuff, as they are very different cars. Apparently it revs to 9000rpm...must sound good?
Old 05 August 2002, 04:35 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Woz

I drove one and thought it was good fun the sound of the engine is excellent and if I rememeber right they rev to 9,500 rpm handling was good and not too tail happy I thought but lots of people have spun them and done alot of damage to the rear suspension If buying second hand be careful. An ex friend works at honda and they had them in all the time with smashed rear suspension and rear wheels and even smashed rear brake disc if you can drive go for it if not stay with 4 wheel drive (or a 2cv)
Old 05 August 2002, 04:53 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Apparently this years model (version 2?) has a much improved suspension setup and is a lot more enjoyable to drive.
Old 05 August 2002, 05:15 PM
Woz
Scooby Regular

cheers Paul. Not thinking of changing just yet, but not read any threads here. I fancy a test drive, and I've heard the 'real sports cars are rear wheel drive' thing a few times, so I thought I'd investigate a few options. I like my 4 wheel grip in the scoob, but I fancy a challenge sometimes! I drove a Sierra cossy RWD...that was a serious handful. It was actually great fun cos it was on a Rally day, and I was on gravel.. I did around six 360 spins...great off road, but wouldnt fancy doing that on the public black stuff. Good advice on the rear axle...will keep that in mind
Old 05 August 2002, 05:33 PM
Wooly
Scooby Newbie

I have a 2002 S2000 and it's fantastic. I've clocked up 4000 miles in 3 months and it's only my fun car. I've not had any problems with it. The attention it gets is unbelievable.
The rev limit is 9200 and I get there often. Keep the revs up above 6500 and the performance is incredible. The 02 model has had suspension mods to make the back end more predictable. If you are looking at earlier cars check for full Honda service.
For more info visit the UK owners forum at www.s2ki.co.uk
Old 05 August 2002, 05:58 PM
Woz
Scooby Regular

some serious info on this one. Some guys has done his research! give the man a phd

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75233

Old 05 August 2002, 06:02 PM
Woz
Scooby Regular

wooly - just wot I was considering...having this as the toy, and a super diesel for running around, motorway trips etc. I fancy a big hole in the roof...wots the scuttle shake like? Always been put off convertibles cos they vibrate like h#ll when you push...
Old 05 August 2002, 09:08 PM
Wooly
Scooby Newbie

The X-bone chasis makes it very rigid better then some tin tops. Some of the owners have added braces which improves it further.

Wooly
Old 06 August 2002, 01:30 PM
beefola
Scooby Regular

From my experience they are amazing motors. Went to Le Mans in one last year, and beleive me, 120 with the top down is fine, even when its pissing it down. Oh, and we had it V-maxed at 156mph. Not bad for a £25k car. Then theres the engine, what an absolute jem. I know 2 people who've had them, one of which now has a Boxster S, the other a MY02 S2000. He loves the MY02, its not quite as sweat-inducing in the wet/at roundabouts, and is better at low revs, more torquey etc.
FYI he is selling his new S2000, to finance house buying and stuff. Its the dark metallic blue colour with black leather, v.low miles, only a month or two old, and i think he's asking about £23k for it, though it may be cheaper. If you want his details, mail me and i'll forward them on.
Beef
Old 06 August 2002, 06:03 PM
Woz
Scooby Regular

thx Beefola, but not in the market just yet..still enjoying my scoob- maybe next yr. But glad to hear good things...so far nothing but. I think Honda engines are a scream, light, torquey, high revin and normally aspirated.
Old 07 August 2002, 01:07 PM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

Wooly, What you doing on this bb. Get back on S2ki.........aka Subaru2000
Old 07 August 2002, 01:14 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just looked at the quick review in the back of this months CAR magazine, and they said soomething about it's bland looks letting it down!
I don't know what they were looking at at the time , but last I knew they looked the absolute dogs danglies
Old 07 August 2002, 03:47 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

The Vtec goes to 9000rpm, not above, the Rev counter is never right on Honda's, as far as Im aware the engine won't go any higher ever with a different ECU.

The old CTR/ITR can go upto 9100rpm with uprated ECU, Valvesprings.

My Mum has a Yellow S2000, and it is the danglies. The revsied Suspension, is a different anti roll bar and differnet geometry settings, along with other cosmetic changes.
Old 07 August 2002, 07:55 PM
Wooly
Scooby Newbie

bumcrack, great name, are you one of those white van driving plumbers? I like to read what the other perfomance car drivers have to say, especially if they're talking about S2ks.
Beefola, it certainly is an amazing car. I've had mine clocking 155 and it was still making progress, but them motorway corners start to get pretty tight.

Wooly
Old 07 August 2002, 08:08 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

my mate has one nice for looks mate, but its too much like the mach 1 mr2 for driving the original mr2 was awesome, s2000 is nice, but not the rush of an evo, scooby wrx etc etc better just go for the civic type r and tune it up thats a nice car
Old 07 August 2002, 08:09 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

by the way and the extra dosh u were gonna spend on the s2000 get a turbo conversion for the civic and u will kick ***
Old 07 August 2002, 10:25 PM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

Err, I've got a white Van, I'm a Electrician by the way, not a plumber(spit) I flash S2000 when I see them. Have you seen me?
Old 08 August 2002, 01:36 PM
Phiroze
Scooby Regular

If anyone is interested, i am trying to sell my S2000.

It is belina black with 25k on the clock, 2000 (V) reg. Amazing car, it really is a driver's car. The handling is just perfect and it's probabaly one of the most balanced cars i ever driven.

I know this must sound rather biased, but i also own an impreza type r and handling wise it will certainly match it.

for more details please either give me a call on 07971 289581 or email me on pb@optimumconsulting.uk.com

cheers pb
Old 08 August 2002, 04:57 PM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

they're not good for tall people as i found out.... nice car though... handles well and is quite quick..
Old 11 August 2002, 05:39 AM
RT
Scooby Regular

Just drove one yesterday. Am considering changing to it.

Engine and gearbox are to die for. The direct shifting (no linkages as the lever is direct atop the gearbox) is the most precise and accurate I've ever tried, significantly better than my STI7.

Of course, coming from a turbocharged car, the first thing you notice is the lack of midrange punch. Also have to get used to the endless rpm-drag thru the gears. But that engine-gearbox combination makes it worthwhile. The throttle response is also miles better than the Scooby, just a blip and you can tell.

Dynamically, it is sharp. I had expected it to be worse since EVO didn't give it too good reviews. But nothing that I'd complain about. The driving position and environment reminded me of my wife's old '72 MGBGT. Very retro!

Anyone run one? (or know someone else who runs one?)
Problems?

Cheers!

Old 11 August 2002, 02:35 PM
beefola
Scooby Regular

As i said earlier in this thread, i know 2 people who the had the 1st gen model, and one of them now has a MY02. Neither had any significant problems with them, apart from rear tyre wear, but thats to be expected with 240bhp going thru the rear wheels. FYI, the guy is selling his MY02, its dark metallic blue with black leather. Only a couple of months old. If you want info i can send you my mail address.
Beef
Old 11 August 2002, 11:13 PM
DouglasS2K
Scooby Newbie

I bought a 2002 model 4 months ago, and even though the summers been crap, I've enjoyed every minute.

The power delivery is obviously fairly(!) peaky. At about 6000 rpm the engine in producing 160 ps, rising to 240ps at 8300. Its not like driving a V6 or turbo, as someone once said you need to drive it like you stole it. If you are committed, its fast and makes a great noise when in the VTEC zone, the challenge is keeping it in the zone - thats why it has the best 6 speed box on the planet.

The steering is a little light and lacks feel for my taste - its very direct and feels similar to the BMW 318is I owned previously, but its no Elise.

Handling in the dry is faultless. The suspension is firm and well damped and copes with UK roads well. Initial turn in is sharp, and the car settles to a neutral attitude. The LSD can feel a little strange when its doing its work - it feels like the tail is squirming a little, but it doesn't get wayward.
In the wet, its a different story. The OEM Bridegestone S02's are biased toward dry weather grip. They have very stiff sidewalls and dont give a lot of notice before they let go. Many owners have changed them to Eagle F1's. I tend to take it easy in the wet!.
The interior is typical Japanese apart from the digital dash - it works well for me, but is not to everyones taste. Its solid and mine is still rattle free after 3500 miles. Space is OK for me - I'm 6'2" and 16 stone.
The roof is perfect for British summers - it can be raised in 6 seconds and doesn't leak.

There is a review here:

http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/index.asp?storyId=5155
Old 13 August 2002, 08:38 AM
Colin Berry
Scooby Regular

Ive got one, its a 2002 model and despite what you may read the handling is fantastic. Here is a video clip to prove it. I think the Scoob or an Evo will trash it on a track but in real life there is very little difference.

The engine is fantastic and pulls like a train from 6000.

This contains aweseome footage of the S2000 going fast and generally being thrown around .... possibly the best footage I've seen. It's in German but once they start the car you will not care :-)

http://www.btb-crew.de/video/tracktest.avi
Old 14 August 2002, 02:05 PM
SteveF
Scooby Regular

Cool

The way to go with the s2000 is to dump the heavy OEM body (1274 kg - about as much as a Scoob!) and fit the engine & gearbox into a Westie - now that does make a fast car (about 550 kg & known as Project Nutter!) - hopefully my road going version will be on the road some time in the spring

Steve

[Edited by SteveF - 8/14/2002 2:07:15 PM]