Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Whats Going On With VW And The Seat Thing ??

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2002, 11:12 AM
WISHING
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not having a pop or anything so please dont misunderstand me !

But i have a 2001 VW Golf GTi Turbo, 150 bhp ? a bit on the slow side but if thats all VW Make on the GTi's nowadays then i will have to live with it.
Then i read in the paper that they are relising a bloody Seat with a 210 engine !!! poke in the eye or what !
i wouldnt buy the seat and have never concidered one but ...... 210 bhp and its the sister company of VW ?
Why cant they make a proper GTi on the VW range ??????

What is VW plan for the future ?? ALl old people will buy GOLFS and the younger generation will buy Seats !!!

Is it going to be like the Ford Jaguar thing ? cant buy a granada so you have to buy the S-Type ???????

The Golf has a massive heratige, but seem to be slowly making it a upperclass statement rather tha a GTi ?

VW ! I WANT A 210bhp IN MY GOLF !!!! MAKE ME ONE .... NOW !

Please dont hang me out to dry, its only my personal views

Old 27 July 2002, 05:58 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Wink

Even the Skoda gets 180bhp
Old 27 July 2002, 07:08 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Looks like they are marketing Seat as their performance/young buyers range and VW as their prestige/older buyers range but i get your point.

Why dont you chip yours up to 180 bhp or possibly 200+!!!!
Old 27 July 2002, 07:39 PM
yhe chod
Scooby Regular

get a pd 150 and chip man!!
Old 28 July 2002, 12:03 AM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

Looks like this thread is about 3 years out of date. Amazed how many people are still biased against SEAT but will happily spend more money than the Leon Cupra R costs to buy a much inferior Golf GTi. Still if you care more about what the neighbours think, then buy the VW. Keeps the waiting lists down for real petrolheads. And consider yourself only one step up from people who aspire to own a BMW 318 because "its a BMW".

Look at Subaru a few years back, they were a shower of ****e selling farmers pickups and the 'Justy'.

P.S. I like SEAT but I'd draw the line at Skoda What a hypocrite.
Old 28 July 2002, 01:49 AM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

I don't think it's a biased towards VW, he is trying to make the point the VW should have a GTi to at least match their competitors (e.g S3 & Leon R)! Why has it taken a 25 year anniversary to for them to make a measly 180 BHP, when they have a 1.8 turbo lump capable of a lot lot more????
Old 28 July 2002, 04:37 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mr Turbo Boost,

I would rather have a Skoda than the Seat.

Lee
Old 28 July 2002, 11:28 AM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

"Why has it taken a 25 year anniversary to for them to make a measly 180 BHP, when they have a 1.8 turbo lump capable of a lot lot more????"

Because todays typical VW driver, not all I hasten to add, is happy to buy the product anyway, they want a quality vehicle with an acceptable badge and image and they are not that bothered whether it has 150 or 180 or 210bhp. And also it means they can sell loads of PDs as they are "just as quick as the petrol GTi", in fact probably quicker in the 150PDs case.
The type of people that would have bought a Mk1 or 2 Golf GTi in the past would now more likely go for a Cupra, 172, Civic Type R etc...or a Skoda RS if they have kids and really don't care what the neighbours think.

[Edited by TurboBoost - 7/28/2002 11:32:24 AM]
Old 28 July 2002, 01:59 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Smile

Just got back from work, our odd job man has just bought himself a Golf GT PD130 loaded with options.

He's 83 years old.

Cant fault him myself, he's never been out of work since he left school at 14, his mind is pinsharp and apart from a dodgy knee is as fit as a fiddle

Hope VW aren't trying to appeal to the younger market. LOL

Lee
Old 28 July 2002, 05:09 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Its easy, the Golf already has a 200bhp V6, 170bhp V5 and soon a 230bhp 'RS' so why up the 1.8T? It would only leave a massive gap further down the range. A NA engine is always more favourable than forced induction anyway.

The Golf is no longer a hot hatch, it is a mini 'exec saloon'. It handles like a barge is screwed together like a merc. VAG are re positioning their brands..

VW - The Quality brand - Merc type rival
Audi - The sports brand - BMW type rival
Seat - the performance brand - Alfa Romeo type rival
Lamorghini - ultra performance brand - Ferrari rival
Bugatti - Performance luxury - Aston Martin rival
Bentley - The ultra luxury brand - Rolls Royce rival

As has been said before, if performance is what you crave...go to the performance brand..Seat!
Old 28 July 2002, 05:12 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

....oh and Skoda The cheapo brand, Proton/Rover/Ford/Vauxhall rival.
Old 29 July 2002, 11:29 AM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I recently looked at getting a used TDI Golf (budget £10k), and didn't as I could get a much newer TDI Leon with more toys for the same money.

I'm pretty happy with the Leon, and wasn't looking for a Seat when we went car shopping, just found it next to a TDI Golf in a dealer, and didn't see the point of paying the same money for an older, higher mileage car (the Golf) when I could get the 1 year old Leon with very low miles for the same money.

Simon (thinking with his head for once!).
Old 29 July 2002, 12:04 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

What's wrong with Seat's?

When I was looking to change my company car I drove a 180 BHP Cupra. If it weren't for the family I would have gone for this (ended up with a Passat). Never even considered the Golf, as it is 30BHP less and very common.

I just missed out on the Octavia RS which was launched here just after I got the Passat. I couldn't give a sh*te what everyone else thinks - so would have had the Octavia.

Don't know what Seat dealers are like, but it wouldn't be hard to be more efficient than VW (in my experience). I've heard Skoda's dealers are excellent.

Old 29 July 2002, 12:07 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Talking

Our local Seat dealer seems pretty friendly, but the last time I was in there, I just walked in as Beckham's penalty went in in the World Cup and we were all watching it on TV, so everyone was pretty happy.

Car's in for its first service under my ownership next month so we'll see how that goes.

Simon.
Old 29 July 2002, 12:10 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Not in the same league, but I went car shopping at the weekend with a friend who needs to replace her company car. She's a user chooser who can choose any car within her budget, at the momnet she's got an Audi A4 1.6. We went to have a look at all the usual company car suspects over the weekend and the winner is subject to a satisfactory test drive tomorrow, the Skoda Superb 1.9 PD 130 Comfort. Its got a huge spec, the VW engine, a Passat chassis with some more length added in the middle, and is only £17,700 OTR. Having seen it in the flesh, it made the admittedly very nice new A4 look bloody awful value in comparison.
Old 29 July 2002, 01:13 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Just got shot of my 3rd scooby turbo (a nice P1 WR) and replaced it with a PD150 golf GTi. It sure don't handle like a subaru - but when you can drive 712 miles from derby to Cognac in france on 1 1/2 tanks of oil burner juice and be comfy, climate controlled and fresh at the end of the journey it has to be worth quite a bit.

As for performance - its got 3000 miles on the clock after just 3 weeks and it is nowhere near as tight - pulls to the redline and with 237lb/ft of torque available from 1900 rpm its pretty quick too. Still pulls from 100 on the french autoroutes with a full compliment of passengers. Easily keeps up with my friends new A4 Avant quattro sport 2.5 v6 tdi.

I've already saved over 300 quid on fuel in 3000 miles

Diesel is the new petrol - well at least it allows me a craig to throw more cash at....

Ian
http://www.xtr2.net