Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

To opt in or out...

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2002, 11:43 AM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Months on and I'm still mulling over this one. I currently opt out of the company car scheme and have a MY00 Turbo but need something bigger. Don't do too many business miles so I'm thinking about changing the Scoob for something 2nd hand and luxo-barge ish (2nd hand 728i, 740i, Audi A8 / S8 / S4 Avant...)

Car scheme likely to give me £21K tops to play with (318i Touring looks the favourite - not very big but tax friendly and a bit of class), opting out and selling the Scoob will leave me with £17K ish (after I've chipped a bit in).

What would you learned guys do?
Old 11 July 2002, 02:23 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Opt out and go buy a Lexus LS400. Not much on the handling front, but oh so smooth and reliability all the other manufacturers would kill for.
Old 11 July 2002, 04:04 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that.

Not thought of the big Lexus... will have a nosey on Autotrader!

Old 11 July 2002, 04:36 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

One more thing, if you do go the big car route have a look at the costs of an LPG conversion. You can make heap big savings if your doing any company mileage, just think, filling up on 38p per litre LPG and charging the company the petrol rate for a 4-litre engine..... Makes a 20mpg Lexus give the equivalent of 37-40mpg when factoring in the LPG to petrol price conversion.

Old 11 July 2002, 09:30 PM
manckster
Scooby Newbie

Is a wagon not big enough?

I recently opted out and changed my Alfa 156 (looks big 'til you try to put something in the boot!) for a MY97 wagon turbo.

All the fun, and bags of space. My Sis has a 318i touring and there's as much boot and rear leg room in the scoob.

If you're after something a bit more luxurious though.... I'd definately go the Audi route.
Old 12 July 2002, 10:45 AM
Nick L
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've been thinking along these lines for a while myself. I am currently in the car scheme and have got £10k miles left till the change. My MY00 currently costs me £485 month when you take into account the extra I pay and the cash alternative I could have per month. This will get me best part of sweet FA considering I don't have a wad of cash to put down on another car.
The overriding factor for me in staying in the scheme was if you want a fast car then you might just want to boot it now and then!!! Inevitably this costs money - lots of it. If someone else is picking up the tab (tyres, discs and pads, servicing, insurance, the list goes on) it makes the enjoyment that much more.

For cutting the tax bill I'm told the 3.0litre BMW engine is relatively good value for the performance it offers. So is the CTR but its not big enough for your needs.
Old 12 July 2002, 01:35 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys. I would definitely consider the 5 door WRX if I opt out, shame there's no official 5 door Sti though as I feel I ought to "trade up" a bit! I gather IM are thinking about releasing some of the warmer Legacy wagons over here, which could be an option too. If my Company had Audi on the car list I'd settle for a well specced A4 diesel Avant. If I'm buying, I'd spend my cash on something a bit quicker though

I've seen a fully loaded (M wheels, tv everything) 740i Sport with 55K on the clock for £15995..that sounds tempting too!