Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Elise - should we?

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2002, 08:42 AM
ScoobyCharlotte
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi all, wonder if you could help to decide on the following: currently have a P1, and hubby wants to get a 2nd car - he test drove an Elise last w/end & came back telling me it was brilliant. Question is, should I let him get one or should we be considering S2000, MR2, Civic Type R as well?
Grateful for your thoughts & comparisons
Old 26 June 2002, 08:54 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the Elise is a world away from the other three. In that it's a raw stripped out racer. The other three would be much easier for a day to day car. If you are only going to use it as a second car (ie- low miles) no problem. I believe that there are a few issues with Lotus's with regard to reliabilty.
I think, stuff the easy options and go for the lotus, they awsome looking cars which could live with a Scoob to 60mph, and through the twisties.
2nd = S2000, 3rd = Civic. MR2's are fine if you cut hair.
Old 26 June 2002, 09:03 AM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

I OWNED ONE FOR 2 WEEKS BEFORE SOMEONE WROTE IT OFF FOR ME
HAVE OWNED UK 98 TURBO, P1, STI4TYPE R & HAVE NOW BROUGHT AN 01 WRX WITH PPP
LOTUS WAS GREAT FUN BUT VERY INCONVENIENT AS AN ONLY CAR
BUT STOOD UP TO CRASH VERY WELL DESPITE BEING WRITTEN OFF
IF YOU GET A LOTUS I RECOMMEND A SEAT & HARNESS UPGRADE I CAN SHOW YOU PICS WHY I THINK THIS, BUT THEN I AM NERVOUS NOW BECAUSE OF THE ACCIDENT !!!!

[Edited by Fulham71 - 6/26/2002 9:27:12 AM]
Old 26 June 2002, 09:23 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

If it's a fun second car (so no practicality needed!), why not look at a Caterham (and I suppose a Westy )? I've heard that once you're used to a Caterham, the Elise feels, well, a bit dull. Seriously low insurance too!
Old 26 June 2002, 09:57 AM
petersen
Scooby Regular

I have an Elise as well as an Impreza WRX and a Ford Ka and I can not reccommend highly enough of the Elise. We took it to the South of France last year and packed all our things in, did over 2,000 miles in 10 days and never put a foot wrong.

True, it's mostly used @ weekends and in the summer but if you can justify having a car like this, then do it as you only live once and will regret it if you do not. Most people think they are not worth it as they pay on finance, see a big wedge coming out every month for a car that the subconcious feels is not being used, thereby giving a sentiment of a waste of money. Not the case at all. Having choice of what to drive gives me much more satisfaction. It can become boring driving the same car every day. I'm changing our Ka for a lightweight Renault Clio Cup 172. I'd rather have these 3 cars than have a new 911 cabriolet, which I could have bought for the same money as all 3.

So if you want an Elise, as Nike says,,,,, just do it!

Stuart