Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Fiesta mk6 starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2017, 04:36 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Fiesta mk6 starting problem

My sons fiesta hasn't been started for a couple of weeks, so went out this morning and tried to start it. It wouldn't turn over, so hooked it up to the battery on my misses mx5.
In my not fully awake state, I managed to hook the leads up the wrong way round on the Mazda (swore the - was a + )and started to melt the jump leads.

Jumped on my bike and went into the next village, got myself some new leads and tried again. No luck so swapped the battery for the one in the mx5. Nothing, not even any dashboard lights.
Changed battery back for original (replaced last year) battery. Took glovebox off to get at fuse box. Only fuse blown was rear de mister. When I removed 3amp engine management fuse and replaced it I heard an electrical whirring sound.
Tried to turn the car over again, this time dashboard lights came on, but nothing else.
Hooked leads back up to the Mazda and still the same, dashboard lights but absolutely nothing, not even a click from the starter motor.
I've taken the relays out, checked them for signs of heat damage, swapped them round where they are of the same sort.
The only thing I noticed was when I turn the key into the start position the immobiliser light lights up and starts flashing.

Any ideas?
Old 13 May 2017, 07:02 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like security thing after removing battery

how is the battery anyway ? ( battery tester)
Old 13 May 2017, 08:57 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

No it was the 3 amp fuse. Decided to get some more, only the dozy bitch at the shop I got them didn't put them in the carrier bag! So have tried a 10 amp for now until I can get a 3amp tomorrow.

Having googled, and looked on various forums, Ford would have you believe the car needs the ecm and key reprogrammed! (Immobiliser gave a flash code of 16, which means loss of communication between key and immobiliser).

Battery, as I mentioned, was replaced last year. Although the car was bought for my lad to learn to drive in, he hasn't passed his test yet, and to motivate him more we bought him a mini for his 18th in March, which he is more enthusiastic about driving so the fiesta only gets run when I remember to go out and start it up.
Old 14 May 2017, 09:01 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

There is a box of wires and stuff on the passenger side engine bay behind the battery, and I think some stuff clips to the rear of the battery box. I can't remember if it has any maxi-fuses or fusible links in that area but worth checking and making sure all the connectors are seated.

Also check the connectors that plug in underneath in this area; I've done a few gearbox/clutch jobs on these and found when disturbed these multi plug connectors don't quite fully seat giving non-start (No cranking) issues.

Failing that; Bypass the starter circuit; pretty curtain you can get a hand into the starter solenoid from underneath on the Duratec 1.2 / 1.4 ). Turn on ignition, take out of gear and run a wire from battery terminal to start motor solenoid (the small terminal with the 10mm nut, stater motor is on the front of engine), tap the wire on the battery postive terminal and starter should spin the engine. If it fires up and runs then it's a wiring or electronic issue.

If it doesn't crank over, then focus on the starter motor and make sure the earth strap is good (put jump lead from battery to engine) and check that the big 13mm terminal on the starter has battery voltage.

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 May 2017 at 09:05 AM.