Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

And again, and again and again....

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2017, 05:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default And again, and again and again....

Corsa in today for a diesel leak which was noted at MoT.

Garage bloke thought it would be easy, but no, true to my luck, it turns out to need a new high pressure fuel pump at £480 plus fitting.

And guess what? there's two fuel pump types fit these cars, one at £250, one at £480...and mine? £480 of course.

Add to that, that I own the ONLY model in the Corsa D diesel range that cannot be fitted with a solid flywheel, and when the clutch wants replaced, it's DMF time too, so £800 for parts, not £400.

Will I ever have another Vauxhall?????

Fuel pump can stay leaking until it packs up, fukc it. I don't have another £700+ after spending £1500 on cars this year so far, not including that the ****-stra still needs three tyres at £270...

Sick of car ownership.
Old 17 March 2017, 06:15 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Blimey That's really crappy .,.

Never mind Chin-up pal it's FRIDAY hope you've got weekend off
Old 17 March 2017, 07:30 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Older cars need parts it's obvious, I needed a new clutch in my Renault traffic after 44k miles from new and the dealer charged £1200 at the time to replace but I bet it's a fortune more now?
I have also bought an Evo and have spent over £10k in parts for that in the last few months, I would welcome your cheap repair bills.
Old 17 March 2017, 08:21 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You keep p!$$ing around with old clunkers and I keep telling you to go PCP... minimal to zero capital outlay and fixed cost motoring... it's the future.

Nothing wrong with vauxhalls... it's just old cars... they go wrong a lot because that's what they were designed to do... keep the dealerships in business... no money in making cars that run forever and never go wrong.

That's why I run a MK1 Golf diesel... good old reliable, bomb proof agricultural mechanical technology, no computers required and it will run on just about any kind of combustable oil.
Old 17 March 2017, 08:54 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ah but , think all the extra mpg you've had
Old 17 March 2017, 09:09 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Next door neighbour has old polo estate , presumably low tech pd engine ?

go forever probably , except anywhere near a city near you sooner or later
Old 18 March 2017, 10:12 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I forget, is this the Corsa with the Isuzu engine or the Fiat engine.

Worthy of mentioning that a Corsa D is actually a Fiat Grande Punto, so even before Peugeot get their mucky hands on Vauxhall, their cars or engines are already a mish mash of Fiat/Chrysler, Isuzu and Renualt (vans)!
Old 18 March 2017, 01:06 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
Ah but , think all the extra mpg you've had
Exactly. You get increased MPG but the trade off is more complex mechanicals.

Which is why I always buy little petrol-engined runabouts. Sure, I spend more on fuel but then I don't have unexpected big bills. No turbos, no DMF, no EGR issues etc.

When the missus needed a new car, I bought her a 2007 Golf 1.4 petrol (non-FSi). Gets about 40mpg. Needed nothing in 2 years other than simple servicing that I have done myself. Nothing to go wrong, it's just a little 4-pot, with none of the FSi EGR issues.

So if your fuel savings have outweighted the costs of the fuel pumps, DMF etc, then you are still quids in. Just need to accept that you are run the risk of the occasionally unexpected big bill and maybe put aside some of the fuel savings for such a day.

I'd have to be doing a LOT of miles to persuade me to trade in petrol for diesel.

I see a lot of people buying cheap older diesels because of the perceived fuel savings, who don't seem to appreciate the increased mechanical running costs or potential big bills.

Last edited by TECHNOPUG; 18 March 2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 18 March 2017, 02:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Not sure what engine is in it, tbh. It's the 1.3CDTi with start-stop technology which also works when it feels like it
When it's behaving it will do 60+ mpg, but is certainly not the quickest thing about. Doubtless it will now start p!ssing fuel out and the mpg will drop again

It's only a 60 plate, so not yet seven years old, with only 60k on the clock.

I think it's disgusting that a less-than-seven-year-old car should suffer failures like this one has.

As I said, my last ever Vauxhall and I'll be advising others to do the same.
Old 26 March 2017, 04:57 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had an Astra H with the 1.9 CDTi 120 16v engine, was actually a nice car until one day the ESP ecu went, known fault and its smaller than a Subaru ECU, basically a diaphram that goes wrong, cost to replace? (Its got like 4 cheap parts in it and differs from the 8v 120 and 16v 150 1.9 cdti for some reason), £1200 effing quid! even the parts guy nearly choked when he pulled the price on it.
Part ex'd that one for a Citroen which han no nasty faults like that to contend with shame really as the Astra and I did 54k miles together and was a nice motor.

Last edited by TonyBurns; 26 March 2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 27 March 2017, 08:27 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I have an ****=stra and a Coars-a

Would I EVER have another Vauxhall?

****** expetive deleted.