Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2016, 09:25 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi A6 Allroad

Hey guys

Anyone got any experience on these?

The baby and missus came home from hospital yesterday and I have very quickly realised I need a bigger car.... The missus nearly ended up on the roof rack....

Ive been questioning getting a tow car recently too for the impreza but work want me to have a large van so had kind of knocked that idea on the head, but with the baby, dog and associated gubbins I may aswell do it in one confortable car...

I like the foresters, but they arent refind enough, i want something comfortable, reliable and with all the toys.

Ive been looking at x5s, etc etc and there are some real horror stories about!

The one that seems to tick all the boxes, reliable, etc is the A6 Allroad, 3.0tdi. I know the 2.7 isnt very good and unreliable. But i cant seem to find any common faults on the 3.0?

Anything I should be looking for? Ideally looking sub 10k with out starship milage, what model etc is the best one?

Thanks in advance....
Old 23 October 2016, 10:21 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From someone who I know who thought they were buying a bargain - the matrix that makes up the dash display has a tendancy to fail with years - there are electronics companies out there who will repair these, but it your problem to extract and refit the unit - the other problem he had was air-suspensioni related - I think it was a problem with a failed sensor and valves, which may have been blocked or failed in some other way.

As you have identified - avoid the 2.7.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 23 October 2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 23 October 2016, 10:28 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
From someone who I know who thought they were buying a bargain - the matrix that makes up the dash display has a tendancy to fail with years - there are electronics companies out there who will repair these, but it your problem to extract and refit the unit - the other problem he had was air-suspensioni related - I think it was a problem with a failed sensor and valves, which may have been blocked or failed in some other way.

As you have identified - avoid the 2.7.
Thanks, so really avoid high milage cars with lack of history?

It seems to be much the same these days, no matter what car or brand you get they all have major issues lurking!!!! It really is just a case of take your pick and cross your fingers and hope for the best!

I liked the look of the navara but I cant afford to take the risk of the chassis rusting out!

Is the air bag suspension pretty good? Worth having lver the regular a6 coils?
Old 23 October 2016, 11:01 PM
Greenslade
Scooby Regular

The air suspension would worry me.

As for the 2.7 engine, mine is as reliable as my Subaru lump. I'm on 195k miles now

Last edited by Greenslade; 23 October 2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 24 October 2016, 05:46 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For what it's worth, my best mate had the A6 V6 petrol or at least I think it was a V6, for a couple of years and it was trouble free beyond basic maintenance, bought at around 120k and ran it up to around 150k, made a nice sound and wasn't too sluggish for a big barge, was reasonable on fuel too, mid 20's around town with plenty of loud pedal and around early 30's on a run at a steady 85ish, was one owner full history and he got pretty close to what he paid for it when he sold it on, and it was a nice place to be with full leather etc.
Old 24 October 2016, 08:46 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Greenslade
The air suspension would worry me.

As for the 2.7 engine, mine is as reliable as my Subaru lump. I'm on 195k miles now
Originally Posted by ditchmyster
For what it's worth, my best mate had the A6 V6 petrol or at least I think it was a V6, for a couple of years and it was trouble free beyond basic maintenance, bought at around 120k and ran it up to around 150k, made a nice sound and wasn't too sluggish for a big barge, was reasonable on fuel too, mid 20's around town with plenty of loud pedal and around early 30's on a run at a steady 85ish, was one owner full history and he got pretty close to what he paid for it when he sold it on, and it was a nice place to be with full leather etc.
Thanks both.

Greenslade is yours an all road or not?

I like the idea of the air suspension it makes towing easier and ive read std a6 suspension is really hard
Old 24 October 2016, 09:34 AM
Greenslade
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Greenslade is yours an all road or not?

I like the idea of the air suspension it makes towing easier and ive read std a6 suspension is really hard
No, mine's in an S4,....same lump though, slightly different tune

I've had 3 of these engines now, and they've all been great,..two in S4s, and one I had in an A6 Quattro Sport Avant. The A6 ran a lesser 230bhp map, while my friend had the A6 Allroad, and they were 250bhp.