Audi TT RS or BMW M235i

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2016, 09:58 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Audi TT RS or BMW M235i

Struggling here.

I'm looking for a car that both the wife and myself will want to own and drive.

My stipulations are that it needs to be something that I'd want to take out for a blast and handle well as well as having that slight luxury feel to it.

The wife likes a pretty car (hence the TT RS being her choice) she's also a sucker for Audi's.

The whole reputation of TT being a hairdressers car is difficult for me to get past. Yes the RS is a beast once mapped with over 400Bhp easily achievable but the whole looks thing is something I'm very much struggling with.

M235i ticks all the boxes for me. 8 speed auto (I'd like any potential car to be semi auto) 6 cylinder turbo charged and RWD is always going to be fun. I also like the looks (The wife doesn't)

Budget £27k max

Golf R is ruled out as it's too dull looking as is the Scirroco as is the RS3.

Any other suggestions?
Old 01 March 2016, 10:30 AM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Do you care what people think? Most people who will take the p*** will do so through jealousy. I'd rather have a happy wife and take a bit of banter tbh. And with 340bhp+ i'm sure it'll put a smile on your face
Old 01 March 2016, 10:43 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With £27k you could buy 2 cars.

Something like a '7' or Westfield for ***** and giggles, you'll get a nice one for £10k and the other £17k still buys a pretty fancy TTs for the Mrs.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 01 March 2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01 March 2016, 10:44 AM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Only one thing for it: put the missus on the street for a week to raise an extra £3K.

Then get a new Focus RS...
Old 01 March 2016, 10:46 AM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
With £27k you could buy 2 cars.
Agree few grand on a old TT for the misses and the rest on a low mileage spec c
Old 01 March 2016, 10:48 AM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

RS5 - wont be new at £27K obviously

4WD, over 400BHP, automatic - may need a few pounds spent to dial out the understeer.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-car...4574?logcode=p
Old 01 March 2016, 11:01 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here you go, couple of options for you and one for her, with a few quid left over for any teething problems.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...Cnew&logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500&logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500&logcode=p
Old 01 March 2016, 11:10 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Has to be a single car. I've no room for two more cars as I've already got my van and the wife's old car will be given to her daughter.

RS5 is too large. Has to be no bigger than a 2 series.
Old 01 March 2016, 01:29 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

TT RS wont be the current shape, the M235I is still current shape - if that is a concern.
As an everyday - all weather car the Audi will win, but the BMW will be more fun a weekend hoon around
Old 01 March 2016, 04:01 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Few £££ under budget aswell

http://www.rs-direct.co.uk/sales_det...4#.VtW8dXinyUk
Old 01 March 2016, 04:02 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cocker
Nice but a manual
Old 03 March 2016, 02:19 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Struggling here.

I'm looking for a car that both the wife and myself will want to own and drive.

My stipulations are that it needs to be something that I'd want to take out for a blast and handle well as well as having that slight luxury feel to it.

The wife likes a pretty car (hence the TT RS being her choice) she's also a sucker for Audi's.

The whole reputation of TT being a hairdressers car is difficult for me to get past. Yes the RS is a beast once mapped with over 400Bhp easily achievable but the whole looks thing is something I'm very much struggling with.

M235i ticks all the boxes for me. 8 speed auto (I'd like any potential car to be semi auto) 6 cylinder turbo charged and RWD is always going to be fun. I also like the looks (The wife doesn't)

Budget £27k max

Golf R is ruled out as it's too dull looking as is the Scirroco as is the RS3.

Any other suggestions?
Hmm

Had a very similar dilemma a couple of years ago. Mrs wanted a TT and I wanted a M135i

We ended up going with the TT (TFSi) and apart from one specific aspect, I loved it. Beautifully built and felt a real bespoke quality/luxury carved from solid product (much more so than the BMW which is no different inside to a 116 M Sport). Drove in a very un Audi like fashion (which was a good thing). A lot of fun. Handled really well. The only downside (apart from the image which you soon forget) was the ride. If you weren't in the mood (especially as a passenger) it was quite "jiggly". Ours had the Sline suspension but an S or an RS would have magnaride and should be better.

An RS is a 5 cylinder and sounds epic so arguably even more character than the BMW's 6. More useable performance than the M235i too.

Go drive a TT. You'll be impressed.
Old 03 March 2016, 02:57 PM
DaveGB270
Scooby Regular

Agree with the above, I had a TTS and it was lovely. TTRS is a beast, just don't get a convertible.
Old 03 March 2016, 07:16 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

TTRS any day and I drive a BMW (albeit an X3). The MK1 was more the hairdressers car. The MK2 looks a lot better IMHO and you cant argue with that performance. The MK3 TT shape doesn't look much different tbh other than the front grill which all new shape Audi's have.

The 2.5 5cyl will sound a lot better than the BMW (although I did hear one cruising the streets in Leamington Spa that had an aftermarket exhaust and it sounded pretty damn good). and I personally would always go for AWD in a car for the UK especially if its mainly for the wife.
Old 03 March 2016, 08:03 PM
DLP
Scooby Regular

Both nice cars,pro's and con's for both.
400bhp easily achievable in both,if it's power you want.
4wd will always win the day over rwd,if it's an every day driver,but not as much fun,if you want it.
My m135i is a superb all rounder,and handles really well,even in the wet,if driven sensibly,and 235i handles even better allegedly.
Drive them both if you can I suppose,but 235i all day long for me.
Old 03 March 2016, 10:05 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Both utterly gay hairdressers cars.

Joking! I had an MX 5 .Lol.As said above,do NOT give two hoots about what people think about your car.Both great.Who cares about the jealous people :-)

That said,love that new Fiat 124 Abarth

Last edited by lozgti1; 03 March 2016 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04 March 2016, 09:20 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Hmm

Had a very similar dilemma a couple of years ago. Mrs wanted a TT and I wanted a M135i

We ended up going with the TT (TFSi) and apart from one specific aspect, I loved it. Beautifully built and felt a real bespoke quality/luxury carved from solid product (much more so than the BMW which is no different inside to a 116 M Sport). Drove in a very un Audi like fashion (which was a good thing). A lot of fun. Handled really well. The only downside (apart from the image which you soon forget) was the ride. If you weren't in the mood (especially as a passenger) it was quite "jiggly". Ours had the Sline suspension but an S or an RS would have magnaride and should be better.

An RS is a 5 cylinder and sounds epic so arguably even more character than the BMW's 6. More useable performance than the M235i too.

Go drive a TT. You'll be impressed.
Got a test drive booked for Sunday
Old 04 March 2016, 12:46 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Out of those two, it would be the TTRS for me... the Diet ///M would frustrate me after a while, unless it was a car which had a fair skelp of the M-Performance catalogue thrown at it.

We bought a 2010 TTRS (manual) as an 18mth old approved used car and although we never mapped it, the car made ~375bhp and ~390lb/ft on a dyno day that I took it to; so was likely that it had a stage one map done on it by the first owner who was apparently a bit of a petrolhead who used it as part of his collection.

The pros and cons as I see them:

+ The car went like an absolute missile, saw an indicated 174mph before lifting.
+ Flexibility of the engine, equally as happy plodding along at 30-40mph in 6th gear as it was being driven quickly.
+ Grip levels were extremely high, more so once we changed from OE P-Zeros to Eagle F1s.
+ The sound (especially with the Sport button pushed) was fantastic.
+ Build quality was extremely high.
+ Running/servicing costs were very reasonable, did 30+mpg on a run no problem.
+ Quite anonymous, felt comfortable leaving the car parked etc.
+ Audi dealer was great to deal with.

- Quite anonymous, didn't scream about it's performance.. so may be a negative to some people.
- Ride quality wasn't bad given the 19" wheels, but it didn't ride that well over poor surfaces.
- Practicality isn't good, but it isn't meant to be a practical car to be fair.
- Grip levels were so good that there was never a moment, even with the ESP fully disengaged and trying, that the car could be provoked into oversteer.. so unlike other 4WD cars which I've driven in that respect.
- Gearchange wasn't the best, not a short enough throw and didn't like to be rushed.
- Difficult car to replace.

Name:  8132b77d941e9fe97a7666cc84f6a173.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  451.4 KB

Great car, would easily have another one... the tuning potential of their engines is fantastic, a very easy way and relatively cheap way to a seriously capable car.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 04 March 2016, 01:08 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Of the two I'd pick the 235i, however, I would also consider one of these:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01601280502984
Old 04 March 2016, 01:15 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

To add.. if you're considering a BMW at that level of expenditure, then I'd be looking at an E92 M3 (Coupe) or an E90 M3 (Saloon) as well. Yes, it's not turbocharged, but it's a proper M car and the engine is brilliant.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 04 March 2016, 02:19 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Of the two I'd pick the 235i, however, I would also consider one of these:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01601280502984
Too many bore scoring issues? Or was that just gen1 Cayman's?

Same reason why early 997 C2/C4S are ruled out

Last edited by B0DSKI; 04 March 2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04 March 2016, 02:20 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
To add.. if you're considering a BMW at that level of expenditure, then I'd be looking at an E92 M3 (Coupe) or an E90 M3 (Saloon) as well. Yes, it's not turbocharged, but it's a proper M car and the engine is brilliant.

Cheers,
Grant
Cheers for that Grant. Nice to hear from somebody who's owned one.

I was always for a E92 M3 but the missus has ruled it out on 2 things. 1. It's a BMW (hence why I'm more in favour of the M235i and she's not) and 2. She say's it's too big
Old 04 March 2016, 02:32 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Too many bore scoring issues? Or was that just gen1 Cayman's?

Same reason why early 997 C2/C4S are ruled out
I always thought it was the first generation Cayman's that had the engine issues, the Gen 2's should be okay.
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-b...wertrain/28005
Old 04 March 2016, 04:06 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
I always thought it was the first generation Cayman's that had the engine issues, the Gen 2's should be okay.
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-b...wertrain/28005
Only problem there is if you have a Cayman you'd wish you had a 911...........Or I know I would
Old 04 March 2016, 10:03 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Last edited by Uncle Creepy; 16 April 2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04 March 2016, 10:12 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Last edited by Uncle Creepy; 16 April 2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05 March 2016, 11:09 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy
Hi, mate.

I was in a similar position a few months ago, albeit I was going to get an M135i rather than an M235i. I realise I'm probably the only one in the world, but I prefer the looks of the 1 over the 2, plus they've depreciated by a greater amount. I was very close to sealing a deal on a BMW, but at the last minute decided to get a TT RS, primarily due to AWD.

See this thread (I've also given a review of the TT near the end):

https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marq...uld-i-get.html

After about a week of ownership, I did have second thoughts about whether I'd made the right decision, not because there is anything wrong with the TT - in fact, I've never said it is anything other than a very capable car - but I was having withdrawals from Impreza ownership and had an itch that needed scratching. See this thread (excuse my rant in it, but a couple of jealous idiots got my back up and, childishly, I retaliated):

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...y-impreza.html

I'm pleased to say that, after a month or two of ownership, I'm no longer having second thoughts. Going from an Impreza to the TT was a bit of a culture shock, and I missed the rawness of the Scooby and felt the TT wasn't as engaging to drive. But now I've had a chance to drive it a lot more and get to know it, I no longer think this. And now I've got used to the creature comforts, eg. the heated seats in winter, I'd find it hard to not have them now. Overall, it's a great car! I bought a manual coupe model for not much less than your budget. RS Grant is pretty much spot on with his review of the car. Considering the level of performance, it has very low running costs and is a great everyday car. Peak torque is so low down, it makes driving it really easy. It sounds great, handles great. Contrary to what somebody wrote above, not all TT RS cars have mag-ride, but I don't find the ride too hard. It's firmer than an M135i, but definitely more forgiving than my modded Impreza was.

I haven't tuned mine (yet!), but when dyno'd, many make 350-360bhp as stock anyway. I've researched tuning options a fair bit, so if you want any info on this, let me know.

In terms of styling, as has been said, pay no attention to what others think. But as it happens, almost everybody has complimented how it looks. A few people have made the inevitable, mindless 'hairdresser' jokes, but mostly idiots who know very little about cars. Maybe the standard TT could be seen as more of a girl's car, but the styling of the RS is much more aggressive - the big twin tail pipes, the rear diffuser, the spoiler, the bigger wheels, the grille, air intakes... plus it's got 340bhp!!!

Having said all this, the M135i is also a great car, and although I've never driven an M235i, I'm sure it's very similar. For me, if I had gone for the BMW, I would've opted for the ZF-8 auto 'box. Whereas on the RS, it had to be manual.

I'll happily take you for an extended test drive in mine if you'd like!? Where are you located?
Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy
Oh, and if your missus wants a small car, the TT is certainly that. Makes parking a lot easier - can tuck into really tight gaps. Although it is quite wide!
Thanks mate.

The reason she want's a smaller car is the parking issue. She's a good at parking but has to park by the side of the road where she works most of the time where spaces are at a premium and usually quite tight.

I'm looking forward to the test drive tomorrow. I know a friend who owned a TT RS and he had nothing but good things to say about them either.

Does the manual have launch control? I'm a big kid at heart and really fancy it lol
Old 05 March 2016, 03:13 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Last edited by Uncle Creepy; 16 April 2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05 March 2016, 05:23 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

TTRS would be my choice, owned FWD and RWD cars and nothing gives you more confidence then 4WD like the TTRS, plus a map and exhaust and the TTRS is quicker then a V10 Audi R8, and that exhaust note

The BMW would be more practical, but being RWD I dont think I could trust my missus driving it, and winter time comes and I know what car I would rather be driving!!!
Old 05 March 2016, 05:26 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
TTRS would be my choice, owned FWD and RWD cars and nothing gives you more confidence then 4WD like the TTRS, plus a map and exhaust and the TTRS is quicker then a V10 Audi R8, and that exhaust note

The BMW would be more practical, but being RWD I dont think I could trust my missus driving it, and winter time comes and I know what car I would rather be driving!!!
The RWD and wet country lanes with the missus driving is something I had considered and thought about. She's no driver and never driven anything RWD.

Another thing on the TT RS's side. The 5 pot engine in sports mode is another big tick for it

Quick Reply: Audi TT RS or BMW M235i