Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Discovery 3's

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2015, 08:53 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery 3's

Been toying with the idea of a 4x4 recently, specifically the Discovery 3's. I'm not worried about fuel, tax etc.. just fancy a mud plugger for the winter.

I'm looking at manual models with sat nav and leather, diesel also. Seen a few around 6K with 100k on the clock and full service histories.

Anyone had any experience with these, any do's or don'ts with them?

Cheers
Old 18 October 2015, 09:41 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I contemplated one for towing earlier in the year. They have a few reliability issues and repair bills are massive, really put me off.
I went Japanese for reliability and haven't looked back
Old 18 October 2015, 09:47 PM
Jack star
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was going to sell the Impreza to get a disco 2 with the td5 engine, I've never really been taken by the 3, but both are nice cars as long as they've been serviced and looked after well. The discovery 3-4 have a good towing ability.
Old 19 October 2015, 07:45 AM
S204Darren
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had 2 discovery 3's and they are mega money when they go wrong! Electrical problems, air suspension, compressers and pumps. My first one an 05 also developed a gear box problem as the previous owner had had a remap and the box couldn't cope with the torque. Also leaking injector issues? Any Discovery with high mileage is going to cost you money. Great car when there working but a head ache when things go wrong to be honest. I'd go with a Mitsubishi and as new as you can afford for reliability. It's weird though as I write this although I've bad experiences with Discovery 3's I'd still buy another one! I must be mad.
Old 19 October 2015, 08:44 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Isuzu or Toyota for me, had a Toyota all be it a Hi-ace from 14k miles to almost 90k miles only thing I changed was oil, tyres and brake pads.

My Isuzu trooper 3.1D is outside, had it about 8yrs and a similar story bar a clutch and I did that DIY for £120 ish, new batteries (it has 2) tyres and oil, and that's had some real hammer,4 berth twin axel caravan across europe hardly knew it was on the back , 5mile dirt road at speed everyday at least twice for the first 4yrs, even stuck it on it's roof and generally kicked the crap out of it out here on the many, many dirt tracks and it's never missed a beat, still starts first time every time even when I leave it for a couple of months.

Got a mate that that had a Land rover td5 out here, nothing but trouble, so he sold it and bought a G-Wagon and he's chuffed to bits.
Old 19 October 2015, 03:18 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other option I've been toying with is a Navara, they hold there value a bit better it seems with prices around 6k and up for a high miler. The thing that puts me off them is mainly the cab interior, the Disco wins that IMO.
Old 19 October 2015, 04:29 PM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by joe v3sti
I contemplated one for towing earlier in the year. They have a few reliability issues and repair bills are massive, really put me off.
I went Japanese for reliability and haven't looked back
Couldnt agree nore.... Have had a Range Rover and it was nothing but issues, then the missus decided on a Discovery and it was just as bad.... EGR valve was £500 to change out, lots of odd electronic gremlins, things just stop working and then work..... its an utter piece of crap!