Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2015, 05:25 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default high Milers

ok enough of brand spanking new metal

here are my two family cars

both have done over 200K (Toyota over 215k!!!!!)

both still going strong, both pretty reliable - the Audi is used pretty much every day often 200 mile work trips

and taking the Toyota to France tomorrow

anyone else got some high milers
Old 27 August 2015, 05:45 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

back in 2001 i had a g-plate cavalier gsi2000 16v that had 207k on it,original engine/box etc

i then had a rover 623sli cheap run about with the honda engine in that had 185k on the clock

mileage doesnt put me off really,if its done high miles it usually because its been looked after.

i had a calibra with 79k on it and that was bleeding awful
Old 29 August 2015, 08:51 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Oh, I'd love a land cruiser some day

My first saab had 200k km on it, and was still driving fine, apart from rust.. My second old saab (now in the UK) had done 170k miles, and still drove absolutely fine (fitted it with a mahoosive turbo at 165k miles). I stripped the engine (for a project build), and the bearings and all parts inside were still absolutely fine

My parents did something crazy like 350k km in their ford mondeo. It was fine mechanically, but eventually it sort of rusted away and had to be scrapped.

High miles doesn't put me off personally, but what puts me off buying them is the problem of getting rid of them after I've "ticked my box". The issue is that other people don't like high mileage cars, so they never fetch any money and take ages to sell, unfortunately.
Old 29 August 2015, 08:56 AM
mikejenkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik
High miles doesn't put me off personally, but what puts me off buying them is the problem of getting rid of them after I've "ticked my box". The issue is that other people don't like high mileage cars, so they never fetch any money and take ages to sell, unfortunately.
Nail on head there. I bought a 175K miles MX-5 a few years ago which ran brilliantly (much better than some low mile ones I have had since), full history, but had a nightmare shifting it afterwards. It does mean however you can get them really cheap.
Old 29 August 2015, 09:53 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, I expect the Landcruiser to cope with monster miles, it has after all, been forged in the fires and deserts of Islamic revolutions where ruggedness and reliability is often a matter of life and death

(And is presently sitiing just south of Cherbourg - after another 500 mile long trip yesterday)

But the Audi is surprising, it still drives really well, the engine pulls well and when cleaned inside and out still looks very modern and a is a nice place to sit

But i suspect it would be impossible to sell - and the reality is I will have to sell it on eBay as "spares" when I eventually decide to sell it

(Although I am planning on getting another 50k out of it
Old 29 August 2015, 10:36 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't mind buying high mileage cars with a full service history but I know that if I did, the majority of average people do care about mileage which would make selling it on difficult. For that reason I'm afraid I avoid higher than average mileage cars. Unfortunately people with the same view as me add to the problem further

Last edited by LSherratt; 29 August 2015 at 10:37 AM.