Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Latest BMW Check Control Message...

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2015, 03:59 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Latest BMW Check Control Message...

[E60 MY08 535D LCI Tourer]

Went to start up the car this morning warning sound and "Increased Battery Discharge" message. Car started anyway. Dropped the kids off at nursery a few miles later before heading off to work and the message had gone next time I started it.

Bit of Googling suggests either the battery or alternator and due to it's age I'm favouring the battery (and it's cheaper). Ignore until it gets worse? Give the battery a full charge (CTEK charger)? Change the battery?

Seems like there is a lot of conflicting opinion about the latter that a replacement battery has to be "coded" in the ECU to work properly. But maybe if you buy a like for like battery (same AH) then you can swap without telling the ECU. So no idea if a battery change is DIY or not.

Chances are (I haven't looked) mine also has an AGM battery as it has regenerative braking, cursory glance suggests these are nearly twice the price of a normal lead acid!

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't be too worried but we're off on holiday soon for two weeks and I'd quite like it to start when I return to it in the airport car park at 11:30 pm with two very tired children. Arrrggh!

Help
Old 05 June 2015, 08:37 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

CTek sorts mine out. Lack of use on mine.

Lee
Old 05 June 2015, 09:32 PM
XPCobra
Scooby Regular

Battery will need programmed in, otherwise you will end up with warning messages everytime you start the car. Must also be a like for like agm battery (has been reports of fires starting with normal batteries fitted)

If your near Glasgow I can program it in for you.