Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

North/South engines?

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2015, 09:49 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default North/South engines?

Does anyone have a good resource for finding out what engines are longitudinal (or North/South if you prefer)? I'm trying to find a list of engines which are suitable for transplanting in to a classic Citroen, replacing the HY78 engine.

I've been told that suitable engines include the Ford Zetec and VAG TDI, but no-one seems to be able to give detailed information on which exact model years they are. Any ideas on where I can start finding info? Ford seem to have a lot of variations of the Zetec, plus they also use the Zetec name as a trim level to confuse matters. I know that the often used 2.0 Ford engine revs to 6,200rpm, and produces 80bhp and 110ft/lb. I've actually seen a 2007 Fiesta ST which would be a good donor car, which would make the classic fly (if it could be transplanted).

The commonly used VAG diesel is a 1.9, sadly I only have a photo of the donor car previosuly used. Can anyone identify what model year this could be?

Back to trawling the French car forums...

Last edited by ScoobyWon't; 02 April 2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03 April 2015, 02:23 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Looks like an B5 Audi A4 Avant.

All Audi A4s, A6s, 80, and 100s have a front transaxle drivetrain; Including the old B5 VW Passat and Seat Exceo. In this application, thats a longitudinal engine with front wheel drive (unless quattro - engine gearbox layout is still the same though).

VAG group identify their engines by a three letter code (or four digit on later common rails/FSi ). Sometimes you can find it on a label attached to the plastic timing belt cover (unless its been jetwashed, or had the cover replaced).

For the 1.9TDi (not PD) Wikipedia seems to say the were fitted with either AFN, AHU, AHH or AVG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...linder_diesels

Ford as far as I know have never fitted their Zetec in a longitudinal position on their European cars; they always came from the factory with a traverse gearbox fitted..usually the MTX75. But being a popular engine there are adapter kits that allow them to be fitted to other makes of gearbox (like T5 or Type-9), the fact the older iron-block Zetec (not to be confused with the alloy block-Zetec SE..later renamed to Duratec) shared a similar block to the old CVH engine meant it was ideal for kit-car use with a RWD Sierra gearbox, hence the popularity and why its mentioned so much.