Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

ALL four cylinders diesels are cack

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2014, 03:31 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALL four cylinders diesels are cack

Another issue with our 21k mile VW van. The THIRD vehicle we've had with a four pot diesel that's had major problem thanks to utterly useless faux emissions reducing devices like EGR valves, DPFs, DMFs.

They (the entire car industry) just can't built them to be reliable; I HATE them.

Our six pot diesel was fine in 45k miles and almost six years.
Old 04 September 2014, 09:34 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a B7 A4 Audi with the much unloved 2.0TDI engine. Had the turbo replaced at £850 because no one changed the oil filter for the first 75K - long life servicing intervals and lazy dealership spanner monkeys. Had injectors changed FOC - again lazy dealer work resulted in £500 to rectify a hilariously bad oil leak - fixed at a trusted indie garage to which Audi refused any liability.

Over £750 to have the DPF removed for a straight pipe (I know MOT failure but have that covered) EGR removed for a straight pipe and had the EGR cooler removed and lots of Samco elbows to re-plumb everything

Other than that, she's been tip top With all the cack removed its a fine engine (IMO)
Old 04 September 2014, 09:41 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

My 330d has hit 140k now.

Had turbo replaced at 110k (circa £800 - recon)
Old 04 September 2014, 09:54 AM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Had the DPF filter internals removed (will pass MOT as it's only a visual check for DPF filter ATM) from our 08 Mazda 5 diesel as we only do local driving and the filter kept clogging up. The Mazda/Ford system also pumps diesel into the sump every time a DPF cleaning cycle fails (only works on long runs) so was having to change the oil every couple of months due to oil/diesel level constantly hitting max 'x'. The garage also applied an Evolution ECU map to stop the DPF cleaning cycles and keep the turbo from spooling to fast now the exhaust flows better.

MPG/power and engine smoothness are all improved and I will only need to change the oil every year now. Must be so much better for the engine not having diesel in there as well...

Last edited by modrich; 04 September 2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04 September 2014, 11:26 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

So basically they are all "broken" from new.

Great.
Old 04 September 2014, 11:31 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Pretty much. Although once you pay to have all the bits removed that hamstring a modern diesel, they aren't really that bad.
Old 04 September 2014, 11:39 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Modern diesels eh

The luxury choice.

Trending Topics

Old 04 September 2014, 12:02 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Another issue with our 21k mile VW van. The THIRD vehicle we've had with a four pot diesel that's had major problem thanks to utterly useless faux emissions reducing devices like EGR valves, DPFs, DMFs.

They (the entire car industry) just can't built them to be reliable; I HATE them.

Our six pot diesel was fine in 45k miles and almost six years.
Should have bought a T4 5 pot like mine, 250,000km and still going.
Old 04 September 2014, 12:16 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

TBH I just don't like diesels at all. Way too complicated with all the emission control nastiness. Petrol engines are so much simpler and cleaner in comparison.

I went for the 535d as it offered the best compromise for me in terms of performance, economy and practicality from what was available at the time. I like it a lot, the torque is quite superb especially for longer drives, motorway stuff etc. but I still view it as a ticking timebomb. Doubt I'll keep it for more than three years, will have owned if for two in December - 58 plate with 55k miles so far. Will be considering petrol powered cars first of all for whatever it's replacement may be and then diesels if I can't find the right car.

Luckily I think the BMW six cylinder range is better than most oil burners out there.
Old 04 September 2014, 12:41 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Graz; totally agree.

Ditchy; they're rather old now. What WOULD people think?
My dad has T4 Caravelle; less reliable than ours.
Old 04 September 2014, 12:52 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Keeping up appearances are we Mr Bucket.
Old 04 September 2014, 01:21 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Odd I have never had an issue with the BMW 123D I ran up to 30K miles, same for the Audi 2.0 TDi - up to 30K miles no issues. OK I drove both of them pretty hard and mixture of regular 60 miles trips on the motorway and 13 miles run to work.
I would have initially said it when they get more miles on them and failed DFP regens, etc then issues occurr but that does not seem to be the issue.
Have to say both the Audi and the BMW diesels are a lot more refined that the 3.2 lump that is in my Shogun, which does sound like a tractor and is noisey and rough, but the next car will be a petrol one

Richard
Old 05 September 2014, 12:49 AM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my citroen c5 2.0l dirty d, is over 200k now, service it every 5k or so miles, only thing that has really needed doing was a clutch change (touch wood)
Old 05 September 2014, 12:37 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Matty....

I sell used vans. Lots of VW Caddy's as people love them.

I wouldn't touch a Transporter tho... They scare me to much, so many things go wrong.

People think VW make the best vans, German blah blah blah. Simply not true. I only sell the Caddy's because they are so popular and i know them inside out and make sure i source from decent channels.

Even my wife's Beetle (63 plate - done 6k miles) is making all kinds of noises. Hydraulic Lifters (tappets) already tapping like mad. Signs of Dual Mass Flywheel going already (clutch judder)

I wouldn't touch a VW myself again.

Same with Ford Transit's 07- terrible vans. The earlier model was excellent tho.

The best Vans? Renault, Iveco and of course Mercedes Benz
Old 05 September 2014, 12:54 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Merc vans have a pretty bad reputation for rust but I'd still give them a chance, especially as they do a 6 pot diesel.

Mine isn't a strictly aTransporter; they start with a Caravelle base.

It's a great camper but it's hampered by it's engine; which isn't great.

I've probably nudged £10k in warranty repairs now.

I currently have VW assist out; the cat light keeps coming on; AAAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!

Last edited by Matteeboy; 05 September 2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05 September 2014, 02:56 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Merc Vito conversions are supposed to be pretty good and cheaper than VWs too.
Old 05 September 2014, 04:09 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Merc Vito conversions are supposed to be pretty good and cheaper than VWs too.
You can't get factory conversions but there are some good after market ones. It's hard to beat the Calis overall fit and finish though; it's very slick. Just needs a better engine.
Old 05 September 2014, 04:21 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
Matty....

I sell used vans. Lots of VW Caddy's as people love them.

I wouldn't touch a Transporter tho... They scare me to much, so many things go wrong.

People think VW make the best vans, German blah blah blah. Simply not true. I only sell the Caddy's because they are so popular and i know them inside out and make sure i source from decent channels.

Even my wife's Beetle (63 plate - done 6k miles) is making all kinds of noises. Hydraulic Lifters (tappets) already tapping like mad. Signs of Dual Mass Flywheel going already (clutch judder)

I wouldn't touch a VW myself again.

Same with Ford Transit's 07- terrible vans. The earlier model was excellent tho.

The best Vans? Renault, Iveco and of course Mercedes Benz
My T4 has been great for the last 5yrs, spent £500 sorting a few wear and tear issues when I first got it, new exhaust, some bushes, rear springs, reconditioned the alternator, bought a welder and did a few bit's on it, since then it's had a new battery and starter recondition and that's it. it's got a leaky seal on the diesel pump now but it's never let me down.

Best van? Toyota Hi-Ace, 72k with only tyres, oil changes and a set of front pads.
Old 05 September 2014, 04:37 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

my 4 pot ford 2.2 in my st is ok, just touching 238000 miles regular fuel filter change all the engine needs. Plenty of poke still
Old 05 September 2014, 04:52 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Well I won't be buying another one.
Old 05 September 2014, 08:40 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Merc vans have a pretty bad reputation for rust but I'd still give them a chance, especially as they do a 6 pot diesel.

Mine isn't a strictly aTransporter; they start with a Caravelle base.

It's a great camper but it's hampered by it's engine; which isn't great.

I've probably nudged £10k in warranty repairs now.

I currently have VW assist out; the cat light keeps coming on; AAAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!
Oh yeah, they rust like ****. Good engines tho.
Old 05 September 2014, 08:42 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
My T4 has been great for the last 5yrs, spent £500 sorting a few wear and tear issues when I first got it, new exhaust, some bushes, rear springs, reconditioned the alternator, bought a welder and did a few bit's on it, since then it's had a new battery and starter recondition and that's it. it's got a leaky seal on the diesel pump now but it's never let me down.

Best van? Toyota Hi-Ace, 72k with only tyres, oil changes and a set of front pads.
T4 is a different beast. It's the modern ones that are sh1te.

Hi-Ace are very good van. Not many about tho.
Old 05 September 2014, 09:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Omnipresent Across africa, I wonder why.

* but in petrol. !!!!

Last edited by dpb; 06 September 2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06 September 2014, 12:13 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Problem seems to stack on top of problem. Never mind the number of cylinders.

Start with DMFs, high pressure pumps and injectors.... Then there's EGRs and DPFs.... Then turbo failures.

Increasingly stringent requirements for better air quality leading to ever more closely controlled conbustion and cleanup. If the future's diesel, I think it's a diesel/electric hybrid....
Old 06 September 2014, 03:02 PM
TMX
Scooby Regular

It's nothing to do with number of cylinders, it's down to year of the vehicle/engine.
In 2007 DPF's were brought in which cause a lot of reliability issues.
EGR's were present much before that but known to be a major issue on pretty much any diesel.
Variable Vein Turbos are a major issue too, especially for VAG and Honda Diesel engines - they're designed to vary the angle, however they clog up with soot and no longer move.... eventually they'll give an "over boost" code

Personally if I wanted a reliable diesel, I'd bee looking at a pre 2007 diesel and would keep well away from VAG/Honda diesels

My $0.02
Old 06 September 2014, 05:07 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I honestly think six pot diesels are much better. But then mine was a 56 reg 335d. Maybe all diesels have got worse since it was made?
Old 06 September 2014, 05:13 PM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

My 330d m sport had two dpfs at bmw in its life while clocking up 98k on a 06

Wouldn't ever have one again.
Old 06 September 2014, 05:22 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by birchy2010
My 330d m sport had two dpfs at bmw in its life while clocking up 98k on a 06

Wouldn't ever have one again.
Ouch!
Mine was nearly problem free; had a brake issue that took a while to resolve and also replaced some turbo pipes but fine other than that.
Old 06 September 2014, 07:19 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TMX
Variable Vein Turbos are a major issue too, especially for VAG and Honda Diesel engines - they're designed to vary the angle, however they clog up with soot and no longer move.... eventually they'll give an "over boost" code
I think this is the exact issue I have with my Audi 2.5tdi, on heavy load it goes in the over boost condition, and I loose all power - back off and the boost comes back

I think the naughty previous owner had taken the bulb out of the engine management light on the dashboard as I noticed after a few years of ownership that it does not light when the ignition key is turned

But I have done 80k with it in this condition, car has 160k on it and apart from the above drives beautifully (for an Audi)

So tbh not that bothered, it's a crappy diesel after all

(The Wife loves driving lol)

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 06 September 2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07 September 2014, 10:34 AM
TMX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
I think this is the exact issue I have with my Audi 2.5tdi, on heavy load it goes in the over boost condition, and I loose all power - back off and the boost comes back

I think the naughty previous owner had taken the bulb out of the engine management light on the dashboard as I noticed after a few years of ownership that it does not light when the ignition key is turned

But I have done 80k with it in this condition, car has 160k on it and apart from the above drives beautifully (for an Audi)

So tbh not that bothered, it's a crappy diesel after all

(The Wife loves driving lol)
If you fancy trying to improve things, I'd try cleaning the MAP sensor using a MAF/Electrical Cleaner (I use CRC brand MAF cleaner) and resetting the ecu. made a huge difference on the Honda Diesel.
Cleaning the EGR every 80-100K miles helps lots too. (Just costs a couple new gaskets)
Potentially look into the Terraclean treatment for Diesel or attacking the turbo with oven cleaner to free up the Variable Vein Tubo

Honda decided to include a lot of the problems VAG Diesels have in their 2.2CDTI engine plus some of their own unique issues too (might be contributing factor why they got rid of it so quickly for a new 1.6 engine)

Quick Reply: ALL four cylinders diesels are cack