BMW E60 M5 advice

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2014, 05:26 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question BMW E60 M5 advice

Hoping Mr Burns might be along soon

Considering treating myself to a E60 M5 purely as a weekend car.

Any known faults?
Old 04 August 2014, 05:30 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Expect mega repair bills, but they are motorway terrorists lol

realy depends what you want from it, m5 isnt a back road car, not when compared to m3
Old 04 August 2014, 08:27 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Not really a back road blaster I want.

I love the idea of a 5 litre V10 that revs to 8000rpm.

Not a huge fan of the E92 M3.

I'm open to suggestions as to what other people would suggest.

I want quality, prestige, build quality, torque. Done the Subaru thing twice and would only really consider a 22B or a Hawk Spec C Type RA.

My short list are
BMW M5
BMW M6
Audi RS4 although to me they're a bit bland and sterile
Porsche Cayman S
Porsche 996/997 Carrera 2/4S
Old 04 August 2014, 10:38 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Drive one, although given age it will be tricky as it is no longer in production. I would strike torque off your list, my overall impression from the drive was of ride quality, chuckable, loved the SMG III, revs, lovely noise and epic power over 6000 RPM. I didn't buy one as I wanted one car all year round, but ended up buying AWD car that is far less refined and comfortable so got a winter/comfort car anyway.

V10 RS6 has many things to commend it too. You can include torque on your list then. They also seem reliable.

Last edited by john banks; 04 August 2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05 August 2014, 07:37 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Drive one, although given age it will be tricky as it is no longer in production. I would strike torque off your list, my overall impression from the drive was of ride quality, chuckable, loved the SMG III, revs, lovely noise and epic power over 6000 RPM. I didn't buy one as I wanted one car all year round, but ended up buying AWD car that is far less refined and comfortable so got a winter/comfort car anyway.

V10 RS6 has many things to commend it too. You can include torque on your list then. They also seem reliable.
Thanks John

Are there any known faults? I've done a bit of digging and can't really come up with much
Old 05 August 2014, 07:53 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

There was some stuff on I think pistonheads, the clutch is like a manual but lasts about 40-60000 miles some suggested. It is a complex and expensive engine, Dingdongler on here let his go partly because of a difficult to diagnose fault iirc.
Old 05 August 2014, 08:54 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So long as you have the money to run it then they're stunning, but over £1k for a set of discs/pads, tyres wear quick and £££, and much more besides.

I thought about doing the same (i.e. M5 Tourer for the weekends + small commuting car) but the potential costs were too great for me so got the 535d instead so I can use it all week. Okay it's no M5 but not bad all the same.

Trending Topics

Old 05 August 2014, 09:01 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
There was some stuff on I think pistonheads, the clutch is like a manual but lasts about 40-60000 miles some suggested. It is a complex and expensive engine, Dingdongler on here let his go partly because of a difficult to diagnose fault iirc.
Would checking the clutch just be the usual procedure? Stick it in 7th then put your foot down and see if it slips ?
Old 05 August 2014, 09:04 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
So long as you have the money to run it then they're stunning, but over £1k for a set of discs/pads, tyres wear quick and £££, and much more besides.

I thought about doing the same (i.e. M5 Tourer for the weekends + small commuting car) but the potential costs were too great for me so got the 535d instead so I can use it all week. Okay it's no M5 but not bad all the same.
I've got my VW Caddy that I use daily for my detailing so this would probably only do 3-4k miles a year as a weekend car. So hopefully tyres and brakes wouldn't need doing too frequently.

The way I look at it is I spent a fortune on modifying my 1st STi and was never 100% happy with it. My 2nd JDM Hawk was a gorgeous car and I loved it a bit but I'm now over 40 and long overdue a mid life crisis so a M5 or Porsche fits that bill well lol
Old 05 August 2014, 10:56 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Don't know, as it is a robotic gearbox there may be other methods, eg software check etc. Perhaps there are adaptation settings to read. Just find all the buying guides you can and search all the forums.
Old 05 August 2014, 02:07 PM
fawor
BANNED

m5,m6 clutch,vanos -heavy car ,automatic only,looks like standard 5,6 series
cayman -worst acceleration than wrx ppp,looks gayish, i would not touch porsche without turbo,nowhere near jdm hawk with power delivery
rs4 -carbon and suspension to check-nice stance,handling, 4x4,manual -with rs6 twinturbo engine could be great car
for money-power SL55 will be my choice ,looks outside better (with correct alloys)than any above,with brutal exhaust sound,
inside m6 looks very good.

Last edited by fawor; 05 August 2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05 August 2014, 05:19 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
cayman -worst acceleration than wrx ppp,looks gayish, i would not touch porsche without turbo,nowhere near jdm hawk with power delivery

If someone offered me a WRX PPP or a Porsche Cayman S I'd know what I'd go for. It may struggle to keep up with a JDM Scooby in a traffic light derby but there's a lot more to it than that - minor details such as refinement, handling etc.

But don't worry you stick with your ricer
Old 05 August 2014, 05:26 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Cayman S 0-100Mph 10.8 seconds
No Lardy newage WRX would keep up with that
Old 05 August 2014, 05:50 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Porsche Panamera
Old 05 August 2014, 09:30 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Porsche Panamera
Nahhhh really doesn't appeal
Old 05 August 2014, 09:32 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

E60 M5's are pretty mega to be fair, it's a very capable car and that engine is just awesome, I don't remember there being any major faults, much more reliable than the E46 M3's were at the time, but as others have said, simple consumables like brakes and tires are not cheap!! Add to that the servicing costs and the mpg and they are expensive cars to run. The gearbox isn't exactly what you'd call smooth round town either, but if your thinking of it for weekend trips away etc it'll be a very enjoyable place to be!

Personally, I'd save a stack of cash and go for the mintest E39 M5 you can find, they're built like you'd expect a BMW to be and extremely reliable, arguably you'll have just as much fun and they are just as capable for weekend jaunts, its a much more analogue car but no worse for it, plus in terms of running costs it'll be far easier to live with and a buying a good one now might make for a decent investment, you certainly shouldn't loose money. Oh and with the right exhaust the sound is something else!!
Old 05 August 2014, 09:42 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 328isport
E60 M5's are pretty mega to be fair, it's a very capable car and that engine is just awesome, I don't remember there being any major faults, much more reliable than the E46 M3's were at the time, but as others have said, simple consumables like brakes and tires are not cheap!! Add to that the servicing costs and the mpg and they are expensive cars to run. The gearbox isn't exactly what you'd call smooth round town either, but if your thinking of it for weekend trips away etc it'll be a very enjoyable place to be!

Personally, I'd save a stack of cash and go for the mintest E39 M5 you can find, they're built like you'd expect a BMW to be and extremely reliable, arguably you'll have just as much fun and they are just as capable for weekend jaunts, its a much more analogue car but no worse for it, plus in terms of running costs it'll be far easier to live with and a buying a good one now might make for a decent investment, you certainly shouldn't loose money. Oh and with the right exhaust the sound is something else!!
Thanks mate
As much as I love the E39 it's the luxury and toys in the E60 that appeals. HUD, adaptive seats etc etc.

The E39 is really beginning to look its age.
Old 05 August 2014, 10:02 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I was looking for a nice E39 M5 insurance 2005 and struggled to find a nice one then so got an M3. Now it must be scraping the barrel, but I did want something like new, or at a few years old as good as my cars are at 5 at least!
Old 06 August 2014, 12:40 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I'm planning to drive a BMW approved used E60 M5 at some point over the next few days.. because as much as I try, I can't get the urge to experience that screaming V10 out of my mind..... I'm actually hoping to be completely underwhelmed, otherwise things may get rather expensive.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 06 August 2014, 06:58 AM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

E39 - looks so old now
E60 - I think there is too many of the 530's around to make a M5 to stand out
Very nice car but I don't think I'd own one, c63 ? They coming down
Old 06 August 2014, 07:03 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

I ran one for about four years. All in all an awesome car, as I've said many times before the engine is epic.

Mine developed a fault that looking back probably was the vanos issue that you can read about all over the web.

I don't need to tell you about the upsides so here are the downsides

1) Fuel economy and small tank means big bills and frequent stops.

2) Gearbox is fine on the go but can be slow and clunky when doing three point turns etc

3) Torque. Below about 4k rpm the car can feel sluggish. Around town where you can't thrash/launch the car you can sometimes get caught out by lesser cars on the 0-40mph type 'race'.

My c63 amg has low down torque in buckets but doesn't pull as hard as the M5 further up. The perfect engine would have the low down pull of the c63 and the high end pull of the M5!

Personally I thought the V8 M3 engine wasn't particularly spectacular in any regard.

At speed its a different story. I once had a d1ck head in a Gallardo come right up my *** on the motorway and then try and undertake me. He got a nasty shock, but we got to silly speeds, not the sort of behaviour I'm proud of!

Perhaps you should consider a c63? More chuckable than the M5 but you won't get the same kind of toys. My M5 had ventilated seats which I really miss in weather like this!

Good luck!
Old 06 August 2014, 07:55 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

While usually a BM fan, I'd take a C63 over an E60 M5 any day.
Old 06 August 2014, 07:57 AM
328isport
Scooby Regular

this one looks decent to me.. right bits on it, head up display etc and a nice colour combo, BMW extended warranty also

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...xperiment=true
Old 06 August 2014, 08:40 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
I ran one for about four years. All in all an awesome car, as I've said many times before the engine is epic.

Mine developed a fault that looking back probably was the vanos issue that you can read about all over the web.

I don't need to tell you about the upsides so here are the downsides

1) Fuel economy and small tank means big bills and frequent stops.

2) Gearbox is fine on the go but can be slow and clunky when doing three point turns etc

3) Torque. Below about 4k rpm the car can feel sluggish. Around town where you can't thrash/launch the car you can sometimes get caught out by lesser cars on the 0-40mph type 'race'.

My c63 amg has low down torque in buckets but doesn't pull as hard as the M5 further up. The perfect engine would have the low down pull of the c63 and the high end pull of the M5!

Personally I thought the V8 M3 engine wasn't particularly spectacular in any regard.

At speed its a different story. I once had a d1ck head in a Gallardo come right up my *** on the motorway and then try and undertake me. He got a nasty shock, but we got to silly speeds, not the sort of behaviour I'm proud of!

Perhaps you should consider a c63? More chuckable than the M5 but you won't get the same kind of toys. My M5 had ventilated seats which I really miss in weather like this!

Good luck!
Thanks mate.

A friend of mine has just got a C63 which I'm detailing for him in 2-3 weeks. I'm not a huge Merc fan myself but I'm open to change. I'll be picking it up from his house and driving the 15 miles or so back to mine.
Old 06 August 2014, 08:41 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 328isport
this one looks decent to me.. right bits on it, head up display etc and a nice colour combo, BMW extended warranty also

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...xperiment=true
I'm all over Pistonheads every day mate lol. Cheers
Old 06 August 2014, 09:09 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
I'm planning to drive a BMW approved used E60 M5 at some point over the next few days.. because as much as I try, I can't get the urge to experience that screaming V10 out of my mind..... I'm actually hoping to be completely underwhelmed, otherwise things may get rather expensive.

Cheers,
Grant
Let me know how you get on mate
Old 06 August 2014, 11:04 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Not that I've owned either but to talk about a car for the weekend and for satisfying a midlife itch I would have thought a Porsche would be the car to get, not a M5.

Surely you want to experience year's of engineering passion that has been focused on performance right from the beginning, not some big *** family bus with a big donkey in the front.

I'm sure that the M5 is epic, but as a rich man's family car or a top end rep car for beating up and down the motorway. If I could only have one car then the M5 ticks lot's of boxes, but as a weekend car it just seems, well wrong.

Last edited by Carnut; 06 August 2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06 August 2014, 11:53 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Does it need to be petrol? Could you be swayed by a heavily stacked diesel? Remapped 535/335d (either E90/91/92 or F30/F31)?

Had my E92 330D for a month now and it still impresses me with ride, build quality and presence etc.
Old 06 August 2014, 01:10 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Does it need to be petrol? Could you be swayed by a heavily stacked diesel? Remapped 535/335d (either E90/91/92 or F30/F31)?

Had my E92 330D for a month now and it still impresses me with ride, build quality and presence etc.
Drove a mapped 535D and it was impressive but I'd miss the noise and the revs tbh. The torque was lovely though.
Old 06 August 2014, 01:27 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Thanks mate.

A friend of mine has just got a C63 which I'm detailing for him in 2-3 weeks. I'm not a huge Merc fan myself but I'm open to change. I'll be picking it up from his house and driving the 15 miles or so back to mine.
C63 is a good shout, plus the fact your going to get to try a friends one is a big bonus, I've no experience of them personally but think they look great and sound like thunder from the bottom of the rev range, had one pass me a few moments ago as it happens, awesome noise Merc also seem to have come on leaps and bounds dynamically in the last 5 years or so, I'd be surprised if your not impressed.

As for pistonheads, same here, and I'm not even in the market for a new car, it's an illness I swear lol

Quick Reply: BMW E60 M5 advice