Notices
Northern (England) Northern Meetings & Events

The future of SMACS - Members moving on from Scoob ownership!!!

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2006, 11:07 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The future of SMACS - Members moving on from Scoob ownership!!!

I've been thinking about this for a while and i think Dai briefly mentioned it at a meet. What will happen when eventually people move on from Scooby ownership i.e. Dai has considered getting an M5 - would he be welcomed into the SMACS fraternity? Andy toyed with the idea of an EVO? would we have to rename the club?

could you see yourself moving on from Scoob ownership or could you not imagine yourself ever not having a Subaru.

My thoughts are as long as you had a performance car then it would be fine.
So Chris - no ideas about getting a Picasso ok mate

Thoughts please!

Cheers
Old 24 March 2006, 11:17 AM
Dr.P
Scooby Regular

I think ever one has thought's about there next car, i looked at an M3 before i bought this one, i think the regular's should always be welcome but that's only my opinion!
You can never say that you'll always drive a scooby you don't know what's around the corner. Your way of life may change and you can't afford it think's can always creep up when you least think there going to, so all i'd say is just enjoy the guy's and girls that have them now and worry about it when it happen's if it happen's.
Chief you may of been one of the first to be getting a different car as your went west first, didn't think you had such feeling for everyone that's nice.
Old 24 March 2006, 11:27 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Agreed - a performance car is one thing - but at one point i thought my Scoob was going and to be replaced by a shopping car - not quite the same really.

BTW you should here my car now mate - Full decat = LOUD!!!
Old 24 March 2006, 12:26 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

I have already decided that this is my last year of full SMACS membership anyway and plan to replace the car at the end of the year. Whatever I buy I hope I would be welcomed at any event.

Moving away from the scoob will be difficult as I love it to bits, but I have other ideas for the future and may find myself in a Mondeo as a result.

I only like two other road cars currently, New M5 and 911GT3 RS. Not very realistic choices, but neither was the scoob when I bought that.

Other options are dedicated trackday car or something, but as few seem to be able to keep up with me on trackdays, then why change the scoob?
Old 24 March 2006, 12:41 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by supertouring
Other options are dedicated trackday car or something, but as few seem to be able to keep up with me on trackdays, then why change the scoob?
One of our customers has a Firecat for Sale that would more than beet the Scoob!
Old 24 March 2006, 12:56 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

How much?

Does it come with free dedicated trackside assistance?
Old 24 March 2006, 01:20 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I have already decided that this is my last year of full SMACS membership anyway and plan to replace the car at the end of the year. Whatever I buy I hope I would be welcomed at any event.

Moving away from the scoob will be difficult as I love it to bits, but I have other ideas for the future and may find myself in a Mondeo as a result.

I only like two other road cars currently, New M5 and 911GT3 RS. Not very realistic choices, but neither was the scoob when I bought that.

Whoa fella!

what do you mean last year of full Smacs membership - your one of the founders and joint Chairman, you cant say that

Go and buy a Mondeo for 4-5k and buy a nice classic Scoob for those weekend and trackday blasts.

What will we do without you Dai

Trending Topics

Old 24 March 2006, 01:36 PM
Dr.P
Scooby Regular

Like i said there's more to life than scoobies, how ever good they may-be.
I won't be on that many drive's out either as my real passion is "carping" will come on as many as possible.
It doesn't sound to hopefull for the future does it Chief i think you may have opened a can of worms here, but all good thing's come to an end, so enjoy it whilst it lasted my mate.
Old 24 March 2006, 01:40 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr.P
Like i said there's more to life than scoobies, how ever good they may-be.
I won't be on that many drive's out either as my real passion is "carping" will come on as many as possible.
It doesn't sound to hopefull for the future does it Chief i think you may have opened a can of worms here, but all good thing's come to an end, so enjoy it whilst it lasted my mate.

Crikey dont talk like that

i've not been a member that long, maybe we can have a performance car club if everyone changes their car.

As far as i'm concerned LONG LIVE THE SMACS!!!!!

***Edited to add***

Admittedly i'm an old fart, I'm 33 going on 63 - my Scoob is the only thing that makes me feel young!!!
Old 24 March 2006, 01:58 PM
Dr.P
Scooby Regular

Wasn't trying to put a dampner on things just looking at it from both side's of the coin how long can we all keep moding are car's money doesn't last for ever, yours does you just keep sending it
Old 24 March 2006, 02:12 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr.P
Wasn't trying to put a dampner on things just looking at it from both side's of the coin how long can we all keep moding are car's money doesn't last for ever, yours does you just keep sending it

The bank manager must think i'm some dodgy geezer the amount that goes in and out - i was questioned only last week what my repair funds were being used for
Old 24 March 2006, 02:20 PM
wah
Scooby Regular

Location: Stockport Cheshire Xbox Gamertag: Scooby WRX SMACS Member

Geez nothing like wipeing the club out by the end of the year Dr P, I can see the SMACS going on and on as people leave newbies will join people will take over roles that others were doing as the Chief said :

LONG LIVE THE SMACS!!!!!

And Dai let me know regards your car you never know

Last edited by wah; 24 March 2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 24 March 2006, 02:53 PM
Dr.P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wah
Geez nothing like wipeing the club out by the end of the year Dr P, I can see the SMACS going on and on as people leave newbies will join people will take over roles that others were doing as the Chief said :

LONG LIVE THE SMACS!!!!!

Old 24 March 2006, 03:31 PM
Gillp95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
The bank manager must think i'm some dodgy geezer the amount that goes in and out - i was questioned only last week what my repair funds were being used for
I wish we all had a dad like yours ! ! Giving you money whenever you need it AND paying you over the going rate at work ! !

And your offshore bank accounts ! !
Everytime I see him at weekends and we go get a keebab or something, he is on the phone transfering his funds so that he can draw some money out ! !

Last edited by Gillp95; 24 March 2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 24 March 2006, 03:39 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gillp95
I wish we all had a dad like yours ! ! Giving you money whenever you need it AND paying you over the going rate at work ! !

And your offshore bank accounts ! !
Everytime I see him at weekends and we go get a keebab or something, he is on the phone transfering his funds so that he can draw some money out ! !

If anything i'm underpaid!!!

That money came from when i did debt collecting
Old 24 March 2006, 04:05 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

CW is the driving force behind the club and I do not see him leaving for a while. I just keep him on the straight and norrow and organise a few things now and again. I see SMACS going on for a while yet with or without me.

WAH, thanks for the offer. I will keep it in mind.

Originally Posted by wah
Old 24 March 2006, 04:21 PM
wah
Scooby Regular

Location: Stockport Cheshire Xbox Gamertag: Scooby WRX SMACS Member

Yeah do please I know it's not until the end of year if and when you do
Old 24 March 2006, 04:22 PM
SteelX
Scooby Regular

Well my WR1 is for sale now and will defo be offloaded after IOM. Can't think why that would make a difference to SMACS membership *shrugs*
Old 24 March 2006, 04:28 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteelX
Well my WR1 is for sale now and will defo be offloaded after IOM. Can't think why that would make a difference to SMACS membership *shrugs*

Dont tell me you want to go even faster???? i take it an EVO is on the cards then?
Old 24 March 2006, 04:38 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

What are you replacing it with?

Old 24 March 2006, 04:51 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

[Jerry Springer mode on ]
Some great thoughts from all concerned there to chiefs initial comments:
What will happen when eventually people move on from Scooby ownership?
Lets just go back to the begining of the SMACS, and who we are as a club. We formed out of our love and devotion to the Subaru marque, but this soon grew to take in other makes as well. It became apparent from the outset that being exclusively Subaru would actually stunt the growth of our club, and so we made the decision to allow other cars in. The whole point of this club is that we are a group of people who like cars, that is it, pure and simple. Doesn't matter what we drive, be it an m5, elise (steel , problemchild) audi (nwmark) or whatever, we like driving, and are always trying to improve. To that end, I'm more than happy to keep steering us in the right direction, with the help and support of all our members.
So, the chief is right in assuming that as long as you have a performance car, your more than welcome on one of our meets/runs. Obviously, things like the Richard Burns relay, nbo and other Subaru events will mean you may not feel part of the group, but there's now more to the club than pure scooby events.
Dr.P does raise some very valid points about how long we can afford our "hobby" though, as no-ones money pit is bottomless (well, maybe carls dads' is ) All good things do come to an end, the oil is running out ffs! So, while it's here, lets enjoy it, and give ourselves some great stories to tell our great grandchildren when we're old and grey

Above all else, if I didn't have the scoob, I'd still come out every month and have a drink with you lot, as your a good bunch of mates, and that is all that matters in the end.

[Jerry Springer mode off ]
Old 24 March 2006, 04:54 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Amen to that
Old 24 March 2006, 04:58 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
Lets just go back to the begining of the SMACS, and who we are as a club. We formed out of our love and devotion to the Subaru marque, but this soon grew to take in other makes as well. It became apparent from the outset that being exclusively Subaru would actually stunt the growth of our club, and so we made the decision to allow other cars in. The whole point of this club is that we are a group of people who like cars, that is it, pure and simple. Doesn't matter what we drive, be it an m5, elise (steel , problemchild) audi (nwmark) or whatever, we like driving, and are always trying to improve. To that end, I'm more than happy to keep steering us in the right direction, with the help and support of all our members.
So, the chief is right in assuming that as long as you have a performance car, your more than welcome on one of our meets/runs. Obviously, things like the Richard Burns relay, nbo and other Subaru events will mean you may not feel part of the group, but there's now more to the club than pure scooby events.
Dr.P does raise some very valid points about how long we can afford our "hobby" though, as no-ones money pit is bottomless (well, maybe carls dads' is ) All good things do come to an end, the oil is running out ffs! So, while it's here, lets enjoy it, and give ourselves some great stories to tell our great grandchildren when we're old and grey

Above all else, if I didn't have the scoob, I'd still come out every month and have a drink with you lot, as your a good bunch of mates, and that is all that matters in the end.

but you havent done the final thought bit?
does this mean that calibra man is invited now
Old 24 March 2006, 05:40 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42

totally agree with that.

Infact i think i might be the only member who has never owned a subaru I did join when the SMACS was still pretty small with a tight group of mates already well established, so i think i was pretty luck to be allowed to attend (thanks Chris )
And yet from day one ive been made to feel more than welcome and infact I think it makes for a more diverse meet / club, even if only to supply more banter material.

At the end of the day im sure most members interest lies in performance cars and not just one make. I certainly see no issues with ex-subra owners continuing within the club.

the SMACS names obviously attaches the club to the subaru brand but i dont think it makes much difference at all what car you drive, you can still attend the meets, enjoy the banter and participate where you see fit.

Mark

Last edited by NWMark; 24 March 2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 24 March 2006, 05:42 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moneys
but you havent done the final thought bit?
does this mean that calibra man is invited now
That was the final thought

Calibra man is more than welcome, although how he'll manage down the backroads around Longnor is another matter
Old 25 March 2006, 10:16 AM
SteelX
Scooby Regular

What are you replacing it with?
Not sure. Might get an Elise for the summer. Might just tootle around in one of my vans for a while until I see something that takes my fancy.

Defo won't be an Evo. I've never had one keep up with me so why settle for less and it that was the choice I may as well keep the WR1.

An imported Type RA also appeals (manual windows etc) as that would be good for the Welsh run outs etc but I am busy doing other things at the moment so its dropped down the priority list.

I expect if anything it will be more "raw" though. M3/M5/RS4 etc simply don't appeal. They are too much of a compromise. If I want build quality and luxury i'll buy a Lexus (which I might). If I want driving fun I'll get an Elise or Type RA.

What I can't see in all honesty, is one of the new STi's. Burble gone and slower than the 'One so what would be the point?

Still all easy to say until I am "performance car 'less" 'cos the bug might pull. But I am busy with another major hobby as said.

The WR1 has certainly destroyed every other marque of car I have come across and living in Cheshire, that's just about all of 'em!
Old 25 March 2006, 11:12 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Defo won't be an Evo. I've never had one keep up with me so why settle for less and it that was the choice I may as well keep the WR1.

The WR1 has certainly destroyed every other marque of car I have come across and living in Cheshire, that's just about all of 'em!

Thats not down to the car Steel its the person behind the wheel

The Smacs version of Roy Keane (nutter)

If you want something a bit raw what about a Dax Rush V8 - a buddy has a 4 litre version at work, (might be selling it actually) when he fits his new heads it will push out 270bhp - does not sound like much - it is when its only pushing 650kg (crap in the wet though)
Old 25 March 2006, 03:43 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Ditto to Chief's comments - it IS the driver.

On the last Wales trip I thought I was doing well on the run out, could now hold my own against you easily now I have the extra BHP and suspension mods. But on the way back, you and Carl dissappeared off into the distance - then I realised that it is the driver that makes the difference.

But don't think that I am bitter, cause I am not (you b4stard).

If you are thinking of an Elise, have you considered an Exige instead. With the Honda engine or Turbo Audi they go like the wind and are about a hard-core as you would want.
Old 25 March 2006, 04:09 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but at least your doing something about it. All those trackdays must count for something. I've certainly noticed an improvement in your ability on our runs over the last year.
After my suspension mods, that is the ongoing area I'm concentrating on. I have a car that is capable of beating just about anything else on road or track, it's just me that lets it all down
Old 25 March 2006, 05:44 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

i Think a few subtle handling mods are due for me after my re-map, i went for a run today and even after Dales advice (i've not been taking it above 4k) it really spools up quicker with the decat and sounds fantastic - after some of Dales top secret mods that he has discussed with me and a Andy F remap it shoudl (at last) be a really quick road car!!!