Northern (England) Northern Meetings & Events

Cheers MTR

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2001, 03:14 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'd like to say thanks to MTR for a cracking day out!

It was nice to put faces to names etc aswell

I heard a rumour that a P1 had crashed, I hope everyone was OK, I didn't see it or else I would off stopped.

Bob

Fiesta Si
Old 29 April 2001, 03:40 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yes, thanks MTR.

And now I'll repeat what I posted in General

Had a great day out and really pushed the MR2 to the limit trying to keep up with all the Scooby's - a bit frightening at times

Could have done without getting lost in Huddersfield but a good day anyway.

Still dont know who was lost with us. Craft and I plus the P1 and the Silver K Reg. I presume Tony and KHB were our partners in crime? Who was in the Silver K-Reg as you started off behind me on the first set of bends. Not sure if you saw the powerslide I had going around the first hairpin

Dales Run 2 is the next one, cant wait - 3rd June

Once again just a shame that you never know who is who from Scoobynet. I was looking forward to meeting boomer, Mellow Yellow et al.

Finally met Bob T though - nice to meet you Bob, shame you left when I went into the pub for a beer, but may see you next Friday night arouns Skippo.

I believe it was a 22B that slid into a wall - I nearly did the same about 4 times

One thing Bob, how did I manage to get in front of you when we passed going the other way????

Old 29 April 2001, 03:50 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Sorry DW, my passengers were a bit eager to get off, it was a touch cold!

I really don't know what happened, we missed a few junctions and found a few scoobs each time!

might pop out on friday, I'll have to check my wage first

bob
Old 29 April 2001, 05:56 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Me again

The WRX on the motorway, on the way home, I think you know who you are! There are easier ways to photo a car! I'd be interested to see how the photo turns out! I'll be taking some more ( stationery) photo's on the next sunny day we get, I can post you some if you like? Mail me if you're interested.

Bob
Old 29 April 2001, 06:41 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Bob didn't get to speak to you but as i have superb powers of observation spotted you at a distance in the services car park

DW
Dont know if I was among your group, must have been 8 or 10 of us touring Huddersfield, but I dont suppose they'll own up
I got grief all t'way back down the 62 for following the herd rather than the missus directions. You should have spotted Mellow, P1, personalised plate.....there was a one in my/our convoy not sure if it was him.

See, I'm not really that smart his names in the window BTC style but I was so far behind I couldn't see it.
Old 29 April 2001, 07:28 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Had a great time, loved the roads - especially the bumpy bits for the passengers in the back.

Loved being behind the 'cheeky' yellow Evo... we saw you!
Old 29 April 2001, 08:39 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Thanks MTR for a great run. It was my friends first taste of scooby meets and she loved evey minute of it

DW, nice to see you again. I still didn't get you that pint

Bob T - I've got a video clip with you over taking a white tranny, the girls in the car were impressed that you kept up so well with the other scoobs

See you guys at the next one

Charlie H - Black L reg WRX with worn out brakes and an empty fuel tank

Trending Topics

Old 29 April 2001, 09:22 PM
GraemeF
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hey Bob T - It was my crazy girfriend that likes hanging out of my STi5. Getting the photos done in the next couple of days and will see what they are like. and either email em to you and or put 'em up here...

Also, to the Blue scooby behind me from the Start, will also see how the photos turn out.

NICE, run - directions needed a little more work to them (MTR)! slot left and turn left? HUH??
How about tulips next time! ehehee

Can't wait till the next one, got my ANTI LAG working now - pop pop FLAMESSSS... ehe

Old 29 April 2001, 10:08 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Top stuff once again, and a very well organised route. Cheers Martin (and Mini Martin)

What did plod want at Nont Sarah? I was just leaving as they pulled up...

Nick
(slow driver in front of the Marcos)
Old 29 April 2001, 11:31 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Charlie, I meant to come and see you but forgot Doh Were you following me towards the end? I overtook that many cars I can't even remember the Tranny, I'd love to see the clip! Our Kid had the camera with him and filmed most of the route and car parks! Maybe we could arrange a mini meet and swap tapes? anyoneelse interested? I was surprised how well I kept up too! I had a riot although the passenger floor is a little dented, imaginery brake pedal!

Greame, Your breadnife is mental I pulled off back into the services but pulled along side you first to wave, I maybe should of looked forwards a little more, got very near a smokey nissan Sunny!

Bob
Old 30 April 2001, 08:36 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive only one thing to say, 3rd gear = 95mph

Tony
Old 30 April 2001, 09:05 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers MTR for organising a great day!

I've not had that much fun in ages (with my clothes on)

Some of the looks on the pedestrians/cyclists/drivers faces when a long line of scoobs blatted past. priceless.

Have recently changed to SO2s and yesterday was a good excuse too try them. anyone out there who's not got 'em or is thinking about it, GET 'EM. Simply AWESOME grip.

GREAT DAY. BAD @SS CARS. Steve McCulloch's STi is the business. Shame plod had to poke their oar in.

Did anyone clock the rosser in the BMW X5 at Birch? Think they're making too much money from catching speeders! (32 in a 30 sir? that'll be another £40 towards my range topping 4x4)

Anyway, TOP day, Hi to everyone who was there.

Rich

Old 30 April 2001, 06:31 PM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

A good day out, me thinks.
To be honest though, I did'nt think the run
was long enough and that's the reason for going to Huddersfield..... well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it

See you at DR2

Be good...

CRAFT
Old 30 April 2001, 09:23 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Bob, would love to meet up some time. Yes I was behind you near the end. One minute I'm leading a group of cars, the next I'm on the end of another group following you Would love to see if I'm on your film at all. Drop me a e-mail off line and we can arrange something
Old 30 April 2001, 09:54 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Just to add my thanks for MTR and another of his "Northern Meet Productions" - went like clockwork as usual.

BOB.T, i was looking out for ya, but never saw a Fiesta

Dream Weaver, saw your MR2, but only driving/parking and not you in person - maybe Dales Run 2 (unless you fancy a trip to Wales in two weeks!).

Oh, and thanks for everyone that turned up - without you all it would be kinda quiet!

mb
Old 30 April 2001, 10:53 PM
Blow
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers to MTR
It was our first visit and we had a ball, we were in the big blue bus !! or the Legacy GT-B. Had great fun chasing Scoobies all over the moors. see you at the next one and thanks again
Tim
Old 30 April 2001, 11:01 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hello all,
I hope you all had any enjoyable day, and I must again apologise for my headless chicken routine (Mark L's description ) at the start.
I did a similar thing at NM4.Doh!

As you may or not be aware, the Granada services staff approached me, and asked politely, how long we were intending staying, would all be needing petrol, and if we were intending coming back later on.

Yvonne, the lady who spoke to me was very polite, and I explained that I would attempt to clear the cars as quickly as possible, and avoid any problems for their other customers.

The Police man in the BMW X5 followed the first group out, and along the motorway, before returning to Birch Services and talking to Barry K and his friend (sorry I don't know your name) generally asking about what was going on, where were we going etc.
And they discovered that the Granada services staff had phoned the Police, and asked them to have a word with us!!

At this point I did not know the X5 had already followed one group down some of the motorway, but fortunately my friends from work that were in the first group assure me that they were driving between 60-70mph, (like a lot of wusses)
Which was no bad thing considering only Barney in the EVO at the back of the group, realised the Police car was there.

Barney, who was on his first ever meet, then realised he didn't have a route, and had to come back to the services, and joined me in the last group.

Anyway, it became apparent that if we did not vacate the car park promptly, then things may have become a little awkward.
Had we been asked to leave all at once, the resulting traffic jam, created by ourselves, along the route, would have spoiled everyones enjoyment.

So yours truly attempted to 'select' the appropriate mix of non Subaru, with fancy Subaru (STi etc), with plain old boring Turbo Subaru, to give everyone a flavour of the cars that attended.

This was very stressful for myself, given that everwhere I turned I was having to say to people asking for routes 'No sorry, I am trying to pick specific cars'.

I hope I didn't offend anybody, and eventually I pretty much had to give up on that idea.
Even with on my son, MTR bringing me the packs of previously bundled 10 off route maps (all bundled and elastic banded together by MTR aged 9, the night before, thanks Matthew) to me, to try and ease my workload, it was still a bit frenetic.

I was offered assistance by Dicken, thanks mate, but declined, as I would have had to try and explain what I was attempting to do.

The night before prior to my 3 1/2 hours sleep, I had been going over in my mind, what cars I would try and group together.
3 off 22b's, 6 P1's, 2 Evo's etc, so when the attendees didn't quite match the original postings, I was somewhat flumoxed in how best to split the cars, as I had stated that I would do that.

People do not want to drive 150 miles to an event, be stuck in a group of 9 other MY00 when they own one of the flaming things themselves.

So you lot probably think this Meets lark is a doddle, trust me it isn't.

But finally a most sincere THANK YOU, to all the attendees.

As I said to the chap in the Blue Stratos (isn't that an aftershave), thanks for coming, but he just wanted to thank me for arranging it.
But without all of you, in your different, and interesting cars turning up,as Boomer has already said, there wouldn't be a Meet.

We non of us want to see our own cars particularly, well I don't, but derive great pleasure in admiring the varied selection of other cars.

The Police man at the Pub, was also very decent about the gathering, and pointed out that he had recieved complaints about cars speeding, possibly residents on the road prior to the pub.
He just asked us to be mindful of the speeds we drove at, and stated he didn't want to spoil anybodys day, just asked us to be careful.

When I explained what we were were doing, he asked if he could have attended in his Vectra, to which I replied, if he had wanted to.

You may have seen in the news about the tragic death of Monica Coughlan.
Well she was killed at the left hand bend, just prior to passing the pub for the first time on the run, not 400yds from the pub.
There were flowers at the right hand side of the road, against the wall.

So the publics sensitivity to speeding cars within that area, is quite justified.

Anyway,till the next time.

Cheers MTR
Old 30 April 2001, 11:31 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Martin,

big thanks again for your openness, honesty, diplomacy and general organising skills.

If we can fit in with the start, en-route and end, then we can hold a successful event without upsetting anyone.

Well done,

mb

Old 30 April 2001, 11:37 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

That's some post MTR

Charlie, will mail you when I have a little more time, Dads hasling me for th PC back

Boomer, I'd of liked to meet you but failed, doh! I don't know how you missed the Fiesta though? It was parked by the side of the road at the pub! Will you be posting any pics?

Bob
Old 30 April 2001, 11:46 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Bob,

keep checking
Old 01 May 2001, 02:15 AM
wrx
Scooby Regular

Blow

Were you behind a MY00 DBM with STI 5 rear wing for about thr first 20 miles in the first group to leave. If so that was me

wrx
Old 01 May 2001, 02:19 PM
SHatto
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Cheers to everyone for a great Sunday outing, my first of many hopefully!

I was a nervous passenger in my Brothers car, Reg. P1 JPH, and just to clear up the matter of his number plate, for all the people who said "nice plate wrong car" he got the plate in 96 and it's just a coincidence that he now owns a Scooby, although he would love the matching car but his sponsors just couldn't stretch to it at the time, maybe one day! (The MD of Robinsons did say he had a P1 in the pipe line and would let him have it for £25,000 but as I presently reside with my brother I don't think it would be wise, don't think there would be room for 2 of us to live in his car! )

Well back to the day, we didn't catch sight of any of the fuzz, probably a good job as the TT behind us would have been done for tail gating (not T1TTT by the way, the other one!) my brother was wondering if the afore mentioned was giving it some when we pulled away a bit, or did we just catch him un-awares??

We didn't see any accidents, or get lost (much! Huddersfield is a lovely town ) but we did nearly end up on the M62 as the driver in front decided to 'slot left' slightly prematurely! did you manage to reverse back down??

Well I'll see everyone at the next Northern or Midlands meet, but I think I'll be a navigator for a couple more years, unless there's an Insurance company out there who fancies quoting less than £2000 for a 23 year old in a P1??...... I didn't think so!!

Simon (brother of Jon!)

p.s. Special thanks to the chef (and serving girls ) in the Nont Sarah, bloody good Sunday roast!!
Old 02 May 2001, 10:48 PM
christhompson
Scooby Newbie

Thanks MTR WHAT A BUZZ - **** hot
DW silver K reg here. Next time ill get my own bloody map

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dream Weaver:
<B>Yes, thanks MTR.

And now I'll repeat what I posted in General

Had a great day out and really pushed the MR2 to the limit trying to keep up with all the Scooby's - a bit frightening at times

Could have done without getting lost in Huddersfield but a good day anyway.

Still dont know who was lost with us. Craft and I plus the P1 and the Silver K Reg. I presume Tony and KHB were our partners in crime? Who was in the Silver K-Reg as you started off behind me on the first set of bends. Not sure if you saw the powerslide I had going around the first hairpin

Dales Run 2 is the next one, cant wait - 3rd June

Once again just a shame that you never know who is who from Scoobynet. I was looking forward to meeting boomer, Mellow Yellow et al.

Finally met Bob T though - nice to meet you Bob, shame you left when I went into the pub for a beer, but may see you next Friday night arouns Skippo.

I believe it was a 22B that slid into a wall - I nearly did the same about 4 times

One thing Bob, how did I manage to get in front of you when we passed going the other way????

[/quote]

Old 03 May 2001, 05:33 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Cheers again MTR & Son

Only had to stop once, and discovered a little short-cut which around 30 cars then followed

Why so many 'Reset Trips' though? (Some of them not listed!) Please bear in mind that an electronic trip meter requires a 2 second press to reset - very difficult with your hand through the steering wheel, especially when you are driving around a roundabout!

Lovelly scenary & no sheep!

Can't wait for the pics boomer, but I know your busy!

Chris

[This message has been edited by CharlieWhiskey (edited 03 May 2001).]
Old 03 May 2001, 05:51 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CharlieWhiskey:
[B]Please bear in mind that an electronic trip meter requires a 2 second press to reset - very difficult with your hand through the steering wheel, especially when you are driving around a roundabout!
Chris

True and it ruined my new nail varnish.
Perhaps we should do it on elapsed time

Old 03 May 2001, 06:57 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Charlie Whiskey,
If you read your notes carefully, you will see that at the start I explain that I have highlighted the junctions were you MUST RESET TRIP, to stop you overshooting the SLOT left or right from the road you are on.

It is only when the road comes to a complete stop ie roundabout/T junction etc that you are automatically faced with a decision.
Do I go left or right?

When I am instructing you to slot off from the road you are travelling on, the only realistic option is to have a distance quoted from the last junction, otherwise you would probably overshoot the turning.
As quite a few did!!

It is not always feasible to say turn left just after the house with the brown door, when the said house is 6.8 miles along a road, because you would not have the faintest idea how far along the road you had to travel before you began looking for the house with the brown door.

On the route EVERY instruction to RESET TRIP is followed by an instruction to SLOT off from that road.

So I had no choice but to include the 10 reset instructions, although arguably the last one shouldn't be required, unless you had taken the wrong road at the final junction, then after 6.1 miles if you hadn't reached the pub, then it would prove to you that you had gone wrong.

I will also include Kilometres as well as miles for any future runs I do, to accomodate the WRX, STi boys and girls.

I forgot this time, even after my friend Tony gave me a telling off after NM4, because he has a WRX!!

Anyway its good hand eye coordination practise, like rubbing your tummy whilst patting your head type thing.

Cheers MTR
Old 03 May 2001, 08:02 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Red face

MTR,

don't talk to me about route plans - i am currently putting together the "Wales Camping Trip 2" one, and there is a lot more to it than you first think (gulp)!

mb
Old 03 May 2001, 09:35 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MTR:
<B>
I will also include Kilometres as well as miles for any future runs I do.

Cheers MTR [/quote]

Good news mate as there was a suspicion that you weren't going to do anymore due to the stress factor. Pleased that was incorrect/exagerated.

Due to my late arrival at the pub we were still eating when you left so I owe you a pint, or a meal?

Excuse me if this is a stupid question. Is there any milage (pardon the pun) in just zeroing the trip & ditching the resets?

e.g after 2.4 miles slot left, slot right @ 3.8 miles passing the Frog and Fidget take second exit off roundabout, continue to 6.4 miles etc.

Constructive comment, not criticism. Anyway my finger wasn't that sore as I gave up resets when we reached Huddersfield

Old 03 May 2001, 11:10 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Smile

Banshi,
When I say reset trip, I mean Zero the trip, so you can start measuring the next distance.

But if you ask people to drive along a road and then specify 1.5 miles past the petrol station, they will invaraibly drive straight past the petrol station without giving it a second glance.

I know, because on NM2 we were instructed to slot right after a petrol station, and I went in while my friend bought petrol from the designated petrol station.
When we set off it completely slipped our minds, and we missed the slot right.
We quickly realised and turned around.
I cannot remember now wether we had distances quoted as well to the turning from the last junction.

I feel it is better to stipulate zero/reset trip whilst at a junction, whilst possibly stationary.

So long as the navigator informs the driver in advance, ie prior to reaching the next reset junction, what is required then it should go like clockwork.

I suspect as we are non of us profesional rally drivers or navigators, it doesn't work quite so well in practise.

Just reread your post and understand what you mean about using a rolling mileage.

It would be fine until such point that someone does get lost, then they cannot easily backtrack and start remeasuring.

Using my method, if you miss a slot because you had forgotten to reset/zero trip, then you could drive back to the last junction and try aagin.
Also if you HAD reset the trip and realised that at the stated distance the supposed slot didn't materialise, it would indicate you are on the wrong road!!

With a rolling mileage you would be completely flumoxed, as all the distances would require complete conformance with the designated route, with no easy way of recalibrating your remaining distances should you inadvertantly deviate from the route.

Cheers MTR

[This message has been edited by MTR (edited 03 May 2001).]
Old 04 May 2001, 09:13 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Talking

MTR,

Thanks for the route again, just adding my twopence on the Trip issue:

My navigator was spot on with the reset trips, but i wasn't paying much attention to the trip count until i thought i had gone past a turning, but guessed from memory (NM2,3 and 4) the turning was ahead. It was only at this point i remembered i'm still in Km's (newish car to me). We didn't bother with the trips after this, as i was struggling to Multitask that morning and couldn't be bothered to calculate the correct Km.

Only went wrong once after this ( i blame my co-pilot )but luckily someone else had done the same, and gave a "turn round, youve going the wrong way" sort of wave (thanks whoever you were).

Dreamweaver,

I was there in B12 *** (you know the rest), i did see your car, although not when you were there.

Phil.

Quick Reply: Cheers MTR